Translations
Developers
Donate

Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Starting applications with selected file as argument in explorer

Posted by Thomas Bianco 
I am trying to figure out how to run a program (using the run program action) with the currently selected icon as an argument. For instance, I open a lot of stuff in notepad, usually things that were never intended to be looked at as raw ASCII, but it helps debug stuff. I’d like to be able to select a file in explorer, do my little gesture and have notepad open up the file I had selected. How do I call this information back from explorer, so I can pass it into the arguments of my action?

Would this require a new plugin?

I am a new user to this program (so new, in fact, I still cannot keep a straight face at the name), and I apologize if I am posting in the wrong sector, or generally asking a stupid question.
Create a shortcut in your Send To folder to Notepad, and then you can use the keystroke plugin to navigate the context menu and select Notepad.

-Scott
that actually worked nicely. i had, however, forgotten that explorer and desktop have different CLASSIDs. i must have spent 30 minutes drawing "N"s on the desktop before it dawned on me to replicate the gesture into the "windows desktop" application. d'oh

for anyone who cares, the keypattern for accessing the last item in the send to menu is:

[apps][up][up][up][up][up][up][up]
[up][enter]

this should function reguardless of how many Explorer actions a given filetype has.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Attachments:
  • Valid attachments: zip, sxp, cfg
  • No file can be larger than 128 KB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 512 KB
  • 4 more file(s) can be attached to this message

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 10 plus 8?