Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Minimize to Tray

Posted by Scott 
Scott
Minimize to Tray
March 04, 2002 03:22PM
<HTML>Based on the other thread (which really should have been here), I'm starting this one.

The interest for a minimize to tray plugin seems to be somewhat there, but it got a little obfuscated with the whole Iconic Tray issue, so, if you would like to see this plugin developed, show your support here.

-Scott</HTML>
Dennis
Re: Minimize to Tray
March 04, 2002 03:33PM
<HTML>LOL sorry, I always choose the wrong forums :) Spank me and slap me if ya want.

It would be awesome if you could do a plugin which has the purpose of minimizing to system tray, cuz I hate my full taskbar sometimes. I think the idea of putting programs in their own menu (maybe on teh strokeit icon in system tray), so that you only got one little icon in the system tray, where all the minimized programs are in...

Well whatever let your mind flow. As soon as my e-mail provider works again, I'll write Dimitriv Nikitin (developer of the iconic tray thing) an email, if he wants to join in and support the idea or not :)

Greetings, and all the support you wish
Dennis</HTML>
Scott
March 09, 2002 04:41PM
<HTML>O.k. , I suppose two people is demand enough. :) It's done.

Check for it on the plugins page, and give me some feedback.

-Scott</HTML>
Scott
March 12, 2002 09:53AM
<HTML>Some quick notes about this...

- You might not wanna minimize your taskbar to the system tray. Ooops. ;-) This has been fixed for the next version.

- You'll probably want to avoid quitting StrokeIt, or more specifically, disabling the Min2Tray plugin while you have things minimized to tray. Unless, of course, you want your app to just be gone. And then it's o.k. But I advise against it. This is also something that has been fixed for the next version.

-Scott</HTML>
Dennis
March 12, 2002 10:04PM
<HTML>Ok I hate forums :) Does this has to go in the bugs forum? Well whatever, this is still fresh and warm.

I'm using Win98SE and no matter what I minimize to tray (IE, Netscape, whatever) i can't get it out of there. Not with a right mouseclick, not with a lefrt one neither with STRG+ALT+DEL. The icon stays there, till I really hardcore end it with a debugger.

It would be good, if you can fix that, cuz just minimizing and not getting anything back on screen doesn't help me alot :)

Greetings
Dennis</HTML>
Scott
March 13, 2002 12:35AM
<HTML>Yeah, I can see where that would be a problem. :)

I'll go ahead and take a look at it, but I'm not really sure where to start looking, since it works fine for me, and there's no error reported by the plugin. But, I'll let you know.

-Scott</HTML>
JD
March 13, 2002 02:30PM
<HTML>Me again. :-) I'm having the same problem. W98</HTML>
Scott
March 14, 2002 10:51PM
<HTML>Still a little bit of internal testing on it, but it looks to be pretty much set, so here's the tentative changelog for the release that'll go up tomorrow:

- Fixed: Win98 - Can't restore from system tray
- Added: Restore all minimized windows
- Fixed: Applications disappearing when exiting StrokeIt if they were minimzed.

-Scott</HTML>
Scott
March 15, 2002 01:01PM
<HTML>O.k. It's up. Should be o.k.

Feedback?

-Scott</HTML>
JD
March 15, 2002 10:08PM
<HTML>Your the man Scott! Works great. :)</HTML>
Scott
March 15, 2002 11:23PM
<HTML>Thanks, but YOU'RE the man. You make my job worthwhile. ;-)

-Scott</HTML>
ferzal
March 18, 2002 10:19PM
<HTML>I've been trying this out without too much success. The restore all windows seems to work about 1 in every 20 tries and there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it.
Sometimes no windows will be restored but I can left click them out of the tray. Any further attempts to use the mintotray plug after that crashes strokeit. Othertimes I can get all the programs out except the first one I minimised which is lost. StrokeIt will usually crash around this time or I'll get an error in StrokeIt about instruction at a certain memory location cannot access another memory location and then StrokeIt will crash.
When I minimise IE if I right click on the icon it changes and I can't get it out.
Other times I just can't get the first program out no matter what. Once its minimised its stuck there. Subsequent programs are fine.

If I attempt to restore windows out in a different order than they were minimised in the first program is always lost.

I'm using win2k with dual monitors by the way.</HTML>
Scott
March 19, 2002 10:52AM
<HTML>Hm. I'll check on this. I'm under XP w/ 3x monitors. ;-)

-Scott</HTML>
JD
March 19, 2002 04:19PM
<HTML>I just tried the restore command with more than a few apps and noticed the same thing. W98 with 1 monitor..... :(

Oh and Scott,

No no, YOU'RE the man. hehe LMAO :-)</HTML>
Scott
March 20, 2002 08:53PM
<HTML>YAY! I can reproduce it now.

Not "yay, there's a bug", but "yay, i can fix it."

I'm just not sure when. I'm mega busy right now.

-Scott</HTML>
Dennis
March 27, 2002 12:02PM
<HTML>Just to add a useless comment: I love StrokeIT! :) There's no life w/o it nemore. And yeah thats the same here, seems like JD and me can reproduce the same errors, awesome ain't it?
Oh and same here Win98SE 1 monitor, well thats the price for not using the computer at home...

gReeTinGs
Dennis</HTML>
jsnj
June 13, 2003 09:22AM
I'm able to minimize apps & folders to tray and click on them to maximize them again, but the icon remains in the tray even when maximized and any further attempts to minimize the same item results in an error stating "Unable to create tray icon, Potentially already exists".
Scott
June 13, 2003 10:15AM
Hrm. Right on. I'll look into it when I get some time. Thanks for the bug report.

-Scott
Tycho Quad
July 24, 2003 06:37AM
I'm having a couple of problems with Minimize to Tray:

1> restoring a minimized application will leave a space in my system tray, which won't go away, even if I close the application in question.

2> somtimes this plugin crashes strokeit (never happened before i added this plugin) mostly when I try the restore gesture, but not always. This of course makes any minimized app impossilbe to get to :P
Scott
August 30, 2003 03:01PM
Right, well, I'm working on the plugin RIGHT NOW. :)

Aim: The5ETank or Del5E (usually the 1st)
Y!: sdbarker_99
MSN: sdbarker99@hotmail.com

-Scott
Scott
August 30, 2003 03:52PM
And I can't reproduce any of the problems. Hrm. Maybe it's because you're using a version that was compiled with the old sdk, and I'm using the new hotness.

[url=http://www.redrubberball.net/tmp/StrokeIt_MinToTray_1.1.exe]Minimize To Tray, 1.1[/url]

-Scott

TychoQuad
September 01, 2003 05:09AM
I'm using Min-to-tray version 1.1, and i still get these damn issues!
Colonel Blip
September 01, 2003 05:48AM
Using W2K.

Minimize to tray seems to work fine. However I can never get it to restore. I have only one program set with minimize to tray. I've tried several gestures for restore from tray but none of them work.

Is the some special way I have to hold my mouse to get restore to work? <g>
Scott
September 01, 2003 11:38AM
For all:

In addition to using MTT 1.1, make sure you're using the latest release (.9.3) of StrokeIt.

Tycho:

What apps are you minimizing that cause these problems? Are you running any skinning software, or alternate windows shells? Are you running any other software that plays with tray icons at all?

Colonel Blip:

All you should have to do is either setup the Restore All gesture, or left click on the icon in the tray.

-Scott
TychoQuad
September 01, 2003 07:46PM
"What apps are you minimizing that cause these problems?"

All of them.

"Are you running any skinning software, or alternate windows shells?"

My windows are skinned with the native Windows XP skinning engine. Yes to alternate windows shell. I run Geoshell, but as far as I know, both these shouldn't cause any problems. I've run seperate min-to-tray programs, and they worked fine. The only reason I'm using this plugin, is so I don't have to run yet another App.

To recap the problems I'm having, the program will minimize to tray fine. However, when I restore it, it will leave a space in the tray where the app icon once was. This will not go away. Looks like your plugin isn't de-registering itself from the systray properly. The more important problem, is that occasionally, this plugin will cause strokeit to crash, losing any minimized apps.
Scott
September 01, 2003 09:01PM
"when I restore it, it will leave a space in the tray where the app icon once was. This will not go away. Looks like your plugin isn't de-registering itself from the systray properly. "

Works for me.

"The more important problem, is that occasionally, this plugin will cause strokeit to crash,"

Can't reproduce.

I'll go grab geoshell, though, and turn on *ugg* the skinning of winxp, and see if I can't manage to get something to break.

As I'm sure you know, fixing a problem that you can't reproduce is really pretty tricky, so this might take some time.

-Scott
Scott
September 01, 2003 11:49PM
And, due to an accidental gesture, I was able to re-create the crashing bug. It looks like it was due to a buffer over-flow.

The short: I put too many characters in the tooltip.

The long: The NOTIFYICONDATA structure only allows for 64 characters in the szTip member, which is what gets used for the tooltip. I was trying to put the entire window title in there. I never noticed this before, because I was trying windows that didn't have long window titles. When I accidentally minimized a K-Meleon window with a thread title, which was around 83 or so characters, and it crashed, I got to debugging. It took me a while to figure, because my code seemed solid, as I had managed to forget about the fact that the NID structure might have buffer limitations of its own. Yeah, my bad.

So, there, that part is fixed. It shouldn't be randomly crashing anymore. I'm going to get GeoShell tomorrow, and see if I can duplicate your empty spaces tomorrow after I get it. Also, I'd like YOU, tycho, to turn geoshell off, and just use windows Explorer, and see if you still get this problem.

[url=http://www.redrubberball.net/tmp/StrokeIt_MinToTray_1.1a.exe]Minimize To Tray 1.1a[/url]

-Scott

TychoQuad
September 02, 2003 06:47AM
Just use... Windows Explorer??? *ugg* ...okay.

At least that's the major one out of the way. Thanks for taking the time!
TychoQuad
September 02, 2003 07:29AM
Alright, did a bit of testing with Explorer... apart from the horror, these were my findings.

I did not get the empty space left after restoring, but I did have a more annoying problem with DC++

it seems this app likes to stay in the system tray, even after restoring, and if you try to minimize it again, it says, "cannot minimize to tray, icon potentially exists" or something to that effect. It takes a bunch of random clicks to get it to go away so I can tray the app again.

A new bug that seems to have cropped up regarding the icon, geoshell and the latest mintotray (1.1a) it seems the icon will now also vanish whenever i hover over it. I know this did not happen in the last version. I can still click to restore, and everything acts the way it did before, only now, hover=invisible icon.

Also, a general bug i found in both geoshell and explorer. I expected restoring an app from the tray would bring it into focus, but this is obvously not the case. please give me the option to do so,
Daij-Djan
September 02, 2003 08:31AM
Any chance of getting at least SOME source code? I was a GeoshellDev and would be interested in fixing the bug coerning alt. shells.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 8 plus 14?