Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Minimize to Tray

Posted by Scott 
Scott
Re: Minimize to Tray
September 02, 2003 09:16AM
No trouble at all. Give me a shot on AIM. The5ETank evenings / weekends, Del5E during the day, and let's talk.

-Scott
Andrew
September 02, 2003 09:38AM
I am pretty sure the problems with TychoSquad's bug are as follows;

a. He is using Windows 98 SE (what are you thinking buddy??? ;))
b. I also author an alternate windows shell, so I can speak from experience with this. If explorer handles tray Icons fine, from any app, in any situation, its often the replacement tray. However, it is sometimes the app in question which is not processing tray requests/commands/whathaveyou correctly. Not saying that this particular app is not ;) What youre left with is the fact that the explorer tray takes more extended measures to ensure that the icons within its internal list are valid (for whatever reason and criteria).

What I suggest is that the geoshell code is simply not handling something correctly or overlooking some facet of icon removal, hence your blank area in the tray.

When you've got 10 people working on a project like geoshell, you have no gaurantee, and really no quality control, with the code that is being dumped into the project. Ive got money on the table that says the geoshell boys deny any problem with their code, though. LOL.
TychoQuad
September 02, 2003 09:49AM
"a. He is using Windows 98 SE (what are you thinking buddy??? ;))"

Heh, that's pretty funny, considering i stated i'm using the XP native skinning engine... Bang with that theory :)
Scott
September 02, 2003 09:53AM
Eh, it very well could be my code. I had initially just hacked this thing together for my own use, so when I got the "it works for me" point, I spread it out. Since it's actually going to what seems to be a pretty decent amount of people, I'll clean it up a bit more now. Though, I'm not ruling out geoshell. ;)

-Scott
Scott
September 02, 2003 10:01PM
Here's the re-fix for the above fix. Should definitely be covered now.
[url=http://www.redrubberball.net/tmp/StrokeIt_MinToTray_1.1b.exe]Minimize To Tray 1.1b[/url]

As for the empty space thing, I'm gonna see what the GeoShell team has to say about that. But, in the meantime, I'll stare at my code some more. ;-)

-Scott
OxxY
September 03, 2003 12:39PM
"Ive got money on the table that says the geoshell boys deny any problem
with their code, though. LOL."

Andrew: you never learn do you?
There have been loads of bugfixes for Geoshell lately, and everytime one of us finds a bug with geoshell somebody tries to find a solution to it.

Sorry for bringing this up on this board Scott
Scott
September 03, 2003 01:46PM
Hey, it's fine, just so long as you tell me whether it's MY problem, or YOURS. :)

-Scott
TychoQuad
September 04, 2003 05:54AM
Seems to require a double-click to get the item out of the tray now... I prefer the old behaviour personally.
TychoQuad
September 04, 2003 07:50AM
Feature request time!

the ability to hide windows regardless of whether they have a minimize box or not. Sometimes I get error messages or dialog boxes which I want to leave, as closing them would be bad. (ie, just installed a program, and it insists on restarting your computer) I'd just like the ability to shove them away, just like i do other windows.
Scott
September 04, 2003 09:41AM
Yeah, I changed it to a double-click to be more consistent with other tray icons.

And I suppose I could allow minimizing of all apps. I don't remember if there was a compelling reason that I disallowed it in the first place or not. I'll have to see if there are any ramifications of doing that.

-Scott
Sango
September 04, 2003 11:11AM
Hoi

I have also some Feature requests :)

1. Is it possible that i became a single minimized app back with a gesture? I think it is more comfortable as a double-click in the tray, or?

2. What i realy miss is a function which bring a minimized app back when i want start this app. For example, when i open my browser with a gesture, but my browser is in den tray, then StrokeIt starts a new instance.
I think a modification of the 'Run Command'-function can solve this?
Scott
September 04, 2003 02:17PM
1. Not really, because there's no way for the plugin to know which application
you want to bring back when you draw the gesture.

2. This wouldn't be possible either.

Sorry for the bad news, Sango.

bis später

-Scott
Scott
September 06, 2003 12:57AM
Alright, here's the score. Actually, scores. Plural style. There's more than one.

Score 1: Double-click behavior has been reverted to single click behavior. I know how you're all too lazy to click the mouse twice instead of once. ;-)

Score 2: You can now minimize applications to the system tray that you aren't normally allowed to minimize. This might cause problems with some apps. I'm not sure. If it does, then don't try and minimize that app again. :)

Score 3: Profit. ;-)

Score 4: [url=http://www.redrubberball.net/tmp/StrokeIt_MinToTray_1.1c.exe]Minimize To Tray, 1.1c[/url]

Score 5: I'll try a bit more to work on a way to differentiate decently between which windows have been minimized so that you can restore those ones individually. I've got a couple ideas. I'll see if I can get one of those to work.

-Scott
Andrew
September 07, 2003 12:40PM
Tycho, dunno where I picked up the bit about 98 SE, sorry buddy.
TychoQuad
September 07, 2003 06:38PM
No prob, Honest mistake.
Scott
September 07, 2003 08:54PM
1.1c workin' out for everybody?
TychoQuad
September 07, 2003 11:45PM
Apart from my standing issue, yes.
Scott
September 07, 2003 11:46PM
Awesome. I think the issue that you have outstanding is a geoshell issue. I suppose I can install geoshell and see if I can replicate it. But, from where I stand, if it works fine in all versions of windows, then the code is solid.

-Scott
TychoQuad
September 08, 2003 05:58AM
I just discovered something running 1.1b, If I double click on the space left by a restored application, the space will dissapear. I have to download 1.1c on this computer still, and will let you know what i find.
TychoQuad
September 08, 2003 06:05AM
Hmmm, that's interesting... In 1.1c, whenever i click on the remaining space, it seems to remove the space for a split second, and then readd it. I can't seem to remove it at all this time round.

Don't go changing that single click option back to double though :P
TychoQuad
September 08, 2003 06:08AM
hmmm, this is even more interesting. I was just clicking like mad on this space using 1.1c, i missed one click, and the click immediately after that removed it...
Scott
September 08, 2003 09:18AM
Can you duplicate that behavior, though?

-Scott
TychoQuad
September 08, 2003 09:31AM
(( I've already spoke to Scott about this, I'm just responding here for the benefit of any lurkers ))

Yes, every time.
Scott
September 08, 2003 11:11AM
(( I've already told this to Tycho, but, the same, for the lurkers. ))

Alright, then that really leads me to believe that it's a GeoShell issue, since the space goes away after interaction with their tray widget. I'll continue to look into it though.

-Scott
Scott
September 14, 2003 07:17PM
[url=http://www.redrubberball.net/tmp/StrokeIt_MinToTray_1.1d.exe]Minimize To Tray 1.1d adds the feature that when an application is restored from the system tray, via a left mouse click, it is made the foreground window.

-Scott
jsnj
September 26, 2003 02:02PM
Haven't been back here in awhile. Tried the M2T plugin in June to replace Iconic Tray so as to have less apps running, but encountered the error I posted earlier in this thread. Just tried the latest incarnation 1.1d with Strokeit 9.2a and got a similar error. Initial minimizing works but upon clicking the tray icon to restore the app, the icon remains in the tray even though the app does maximize. Unfortunately any further attempts to again minimize that app to the tray, results in an "Unable to create tray icon" error. Strokeit then must be shutdown in order to eliminate the tray icon. Using Win98.
Scott
September 26, 2003 02:31PM
Are you using any weird alternate shells like Typo was? Or any weird skinning applications?

-Scott
jsnj
September 27, 2003 02:23AM
No, none. Plain ole Win98 shell with Active Desktop enabled.
Scott
September 27, 2003 01:39PM
I'll have to see if i can dig up a win98 box to test on. don't hold your breath, though. ;-)

-Scott
TychoQuad
October 19, 2003 05:12AM
half a month later and still holding...
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 24 plus 19?