Contact Us

StrokeIt

Global action - Snipping Tool

Posted by v5c7zi 
v5c7zi
Global action - Snipping Tool
June 25, 2013 12:37AM
Hi guys,

As the title suggests, I'm trying to make a global action to launch the snipping tool and I'm having no luck. I've selected "Run a program" entry for the command profile and directed it to the exectuable located at: C:\Windows\System32\SnippingTool.exe

It simply refuses to open. I figuered maybe it had to do with file permissions so I took ownership and it had no affect. I'm at a loss and would appreciate any insight on the issue. Thanks in advance.
Leo
Re: Global action - Snipping Tool
June 25, 2013 04:09AM
Hello v5c7zi,

So you are on win95, win98, winxp, vista, win7 or win8 with SI 0.97 personal or pro ?
You draw the gesture with activated desktop ? When you select a other program it is working ?

Thank you

Leo
v5c7zi
June 25, 2013 05:11AM
Hi Leo!

Thanks so much for the reply! I'm on Win 7 x64 with SI 0.97 personal. Activated desktop? You mean only the dekstop in focus and no apps conflicting, then yes... with only the desktop active. Yup, I've had no trouble lauching any other apps (including cmd) with gestures, only the snipping tool. I also tried different gestures so see if that was the problem, but no luck.

Even when you attempt to browse for the exe in System32 folder from within SI, it doesn't show up. But, if you go through Windows explorer it appears without issue.

The snipping tool is default on all Win platorms after Vista I believe so if you're on any of those, do you mind trying it out and letting me know if it works for you? Cheers.
June 25, 2013 08:14AM
Works for me, Win7 32-bit

<APP name="Default">
Snip [L Reversed] {
gesture = L Reversed
SnippingTool.exe = exec, run "SnippingTool.exe" "" "" ""
}
</APP>
June 14, 2014 04:34AM
This SnippingTool solution only works on 32-bit Windows versions.

On Windows 7 - 64-bit SrokeIt cannot see snippingtool.exe in the 64-bit folder system32.

Does anyone know a work around so that StrokeIt can run snippingtool on 64-bit Windows?
Stepp
July 29, 2014 06:40PM
On my Win7 64 Pc SnippingTool.exe is in C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-snippingtool-app_... (C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-snippingtool-app_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_f5b8f3d6a353fa89\SnippingTool.exe ) Of course the exact folderpath is different from system to system. So you have to search the folder manually inside C:\Windows\winsxs

No idear if it works as global solution or just on my system?
getwilde
December 08, 2014 01:00PM
I spent some time trying to get this to work. When I finally found the exe in syswow, and tried running it, it just returned an error messagebox with red "X" icon but devoid of any title or text.

Try this instead. It bypasses the 64-bit system redirection and executes properly (at least on my Win7 64-bit machine):
C:\Windows\sysnative\SnippingTool.exe
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 23 plus 5?