Wiki
Plugins
Translations
Developers
Donate

Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Mouse button activity while drawing gesture.

Posted by Mtes 
Mouse button activity while drawing gesture.
February 25, 2011 07:25AM
Hello.
First, let me tell, that StrokeIt is probably the best automation software there is and this is a big discovery for me. I believe in a few months i wont be able to work without it. So keep up a good work.

Now to my question.
I wonder, is there a way to turn off mouse button functionality at all while drawing gestures by any means (StrokeIt config, registry, or 3rd party programs)?

I'm going to explain with example: I have set middle mouse button for my gestures (but that doesn't matter as i tried it with RMB also). Let's say i have 2 folders open, first in foreground and second in background. I want to close 1st folder by using gesture, but if i draw my gesture on the desktop space not directly above active window, for example above 2nd folder which is in background, the middle mouse button gives focus to whatever is under it and i end up closing 2nd folder (wasn't my intention). This is manageable because folders are big compared to desktop, but with other programs which have small windows it can be annoying, for example if i want to close Windows Sound Recorder which is active and i have maximized browser window on background, i need to start my gesture right on Recorder window, otherwise browser gets closed. But for that i need to put my mouse pointer in precise location, which kinda defeats the purpose of mouse gesture (which i consider to be able to do your designated actions anywhere on the screen without moving pointer to certain location), as i could just click Close button.

Also another example: I want to copy one part of some file's name text, so let's say i press F2, then select required text and draw "C" gesture for Copy. But for it to work, again, starting point of my gesture must be inside name text editing area, otherwise middle mouse click anywhere else closes text editing and I end up copying the file instead.

This is the issue i came up with. If i could solve it, StrokeIt would be an example of a perfect program for me. If not... well, it still is anyways. Your help would be appreciated. (In case it matters, i have Win7 x64)

In advance thank you for your answers.
Re: Mouse button activity while drawing gesture.
February 28, 2011 05:00PM
I've tried, but I think there is no way to change this. The problem is that any mouse click, be it Right, Middle, or Left, deactivates the active window if the cursor is over another window. There is no way to register which window was active before you pressed down the mouse button, because there is nothing to trigger the action that should register it, since nothing happens yet before the beginning of the click. I have tried with Autohotkey, but no luck.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 8 plus 8?