Contact Us

StrokeIt

Setting password

Posted by John Nicholson 
John Nicholson
Setting password
June 06, 2010 08:08PM
Newby - please bear with me.

I have set up an application to run under Global Actions. I have also set up this application separately (New Application and then New Action) to allow its own actions.

I have then set New Command to Keys-Password, entered the password.and closed Stroke-It.

When I use the gesture to open the application, it works as expected and opens to the logon window. When I then attempt to use the gesture I have set (L) to logon using my password, nothing happens.

I notice that the password field is filled with asterisks but I assume that is for security reasons?

Can anyone help please?

John
Re: Setting password
June 07, 2010 01:37AM
Are you sure you set the gesture? If so, are you aware that L is an alias for Down - Right ? That's because they would be ambiguous otherwise and it means that until you remove it from STROKES.BIN, moving the mouse down and then right (drawing an L) will trigger events assigned to gesture Down - Right instead triggering L. You might want to reset it to Down - Right.
John
June 07, 2010 06:26PM
Yes, I've set the gesture (several times and several different gestures). As I mentioned in my original post, if I put in my password and close StrokeIt, once I then reopen StrokeIt I notice that the password field is filled with asterisks, not my original password. Is that normal?
June 08, 2010 02:04AM
Yes, that's normal and you were right, it's for security. Another questions then. Which version of StrokeIt do you use? The name + version of the application? You did assign an identifier to the application in StrokeIt
John
June 08, 2010 02:40AM
I'm using StrokeIt Home 9.7.

My procedure is as follows:

(1) Open New Application, then re-name it.
(2) Highlight the new application and open New Action.
(3) From the pulldown list, identify the gesture to be used, ie L (but I've tried others)
(4) Add Gesture (it appears in the box)
(5) Highlight the New Gesture (I've renamed it Logon) and open New Command
(6) Configure from the pulldown list Keys - Password
(7) Enter the password
(8) Exit StrokeIt. I note that there isn't a Save option.

I can open the application using StrokeIt as I have set it up in Global Commands but I can't enter the password using the above procedure.

Appreciate your help

John
June 08, 2010 02:58AM
Yes, I see. You are missing one step. After you rename the application you have to assign an identifier to it. It tells that StrokeIt should use this action when drawing the gesture on its window. This way you can have several actions defined by the same gesture but doing different things in different applications.

When you click on the application name you can see the Application Identifiers panel on the right. You click Add and drag the Finder Tool (the crosshair) to the application's main window. Most of the times identifying by window class is fine, but there are some naughty applications that use classes that would cause ambiguity. With these you can use either file name or windows title. Both can be set with the Finder Tool.
John
June 08, 2010 07:49AM
I'm sorry, I failed to mention this step. Yes, I am doing as you suggest. I actually have set up two identifiers - CLASS and FILE. I have tried using just one or the other but it doesn't make any difference.

My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit). Are there any known issues here?

John
June 08, 2010 07:57AM
I use Win 7 Pro but I've seen it under Ultimate so the OS should be no problem. By the way, which application would you like to use it with?
Are the other commands working as expected? Or is it only the Password command you have trouble with?
John
June 12, 2010 04:09AM
To finish this discussion, I thought I might add that I have discovered that if I use StrokeIt to open my application, I cannot then apply a further mouse gesture to set the password. However, if I open the application directly without StrokeIt, my password gesture then works. Weird, but I'm not going to sweat it too much.

Thanks all

John
June 13, 2010 10:40AM
If you'd told us which application is is, I could have take a look at it to see if it's a StrokeIt bug or perhaps the application is failing in some way. I'm still willing to do that unless, of course, you want to keep that app a secret :)
John Nicholson
June 14, 2010 11:20PM
The application is called Betting Assistant from http://www.gruss1-software.co.uk/.

Thanks for your help.

John
June 15, 2010 12:37AM
It requires registration name on some foreign site. Where do I get one?
John
June 15, 2010 03:50PM
The application can be downloaded for a thirty day trial at no cost.
June 15, 2010 04:25PM
Yes, but it requires a betfair registration (a betfair username) I don't have. I tried to register but all I got was an empty screen. Could you upload it to rapidshare or to some other file sharing site? The username is not required to run the application, it is what you want to enter besides the password, right?
John
June 17, 2010 12:51AM
Thanks for your help. I'll let it go, I think - too messy,

John
June 17, 2010 01:22AM
I'm sorry I could not help. Just one more question. Did you try entering the password with the same gesture that starts the application? You can add a "Windows - Activate window" command with delay after the command that starts it and then enter the login name (if any) and passwords.
John
June 17, 2010 04:57PM
I have no idea what has changed but, all of a sudden, it is working!

I can use one gesture (B) to open the application and another (L) to logon. Wonderful!

Thanks for your persistence. I may not know what has happened, but as long as it's working, I'll ask no questions. :-)

John
June 18, 2010 02:15AM
I'm glad you succeeded in the end. You're free to ask whether it works or not :)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 11 plus 6?