Donate

Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Sandboxie

Posted by Randy 
Sandboxie
June 01, 2010 04:05PM
I just downloaded StrokeIt but it doesn't seem to work if Firefox is sandboxed. I'm not much of a computer guy, can anyone help?
Re: Sandboxie
June 02, 2010 01:31AM
It does not work in FF or it does not work at all? FF has (several) plugins for mouse gestures and they (just as all the other programs designed for the same purpose) do not work well together. If you are using one of them it is advisable to disable it (either StrokeIt or the plugin).

By the way, what is this sandboxed mode?
June 02, 2010 07:16AM
[url=http://www.sandboxie.com]Sandboxie[/url] is a great utility for sandboxing dangerous applications. By default, when a program is running inside a sandbox, it's window class is prefixed with a # to distinguish it in the task list, which screws up all of the applications that StrokeIt detects by window class.

There are two ways to fix this:

1) You can add the "sandboxed" window class to the application identifiers in StrokeIt.
2) You can alter the Sandboxie settings to disable #s.
June 02, 2010 08:50AM
Thanks Jeff, but neither of your ideas worked. Maybe I'll just have to live without StrokeIt.
June 02, 2010 08:57AM
gemisigo, StrokeIt works fine if Firefox isn't run in Sandboxie.

Sandboxie is a program that keeps everything isolated from the rest of your computer.

I use it to browse more safely. Check it out at their website. I think it's pretty good.
June 02, 2010 03:41PM
I use virtual machine for that purpose but Sandboxie sounds interesting. I'll definitely give it a try. I'll also take a look at jeff's solution.

UPDATE: It is interesting, indeed. Still, I'd rather stick to a virtual machine, it better suits my needs. By the way, I tried it with Notepad++. I use some pretty weird commands in it, it is identified by class but I did not experience anything unusual. It worked correctly without any modifications that jeff mentioned (though that might not apply to FF).
June 07, 2010 05:25AM
Sandboxie is indeed a great program. I just tried it out after reading about it here.
When I installed it, it detected Strokeit and gave me option to integrate it, and I selected yes (interestingly, it also selected Adobe updater).

It works flawlessly with strokeit. All my original gestures work as before in the sandboxed application. So the trick here is to install Strokeit first and then install sandboxie. It may also be possible to configure it from inside the app.

(BTW, I tried the trial version of sandboxie. Does it expire?)

UPDATE: there is an option in "Configure", "software compatibility". If you see strokeit, then you can try enabling it from there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2010 05:27AM by amit.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 2 plus 4?