Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

What is in pro version?

Posted by David 
David
What is in pro version?
April 05, 2010 05:53PM
I can't find a page explaining the difference between home and professional versions. Am I blind? :-)
Re: What is in pro version?
April 05, 2010 10:39PM
I haven't been able to find a summary of the differences either. I am using the pro version at the moment, but I am not sure what the differences are; all I know is that the pro version support Lua scripting and the non-pro version does not, though I don't understand Lua myself. I wish there were some useful Lua scripts available on this site. Perhaps Jeff himself can tell you the exact differences.
April 06, 2010 01:48AM
There is a few at http://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/forum/read.php?5,54592 and you can find some discussions about Lua in the plugin development section. I'm not a Lua expert but willing to help if you describe your task.

Besides Lua support there are two mouse functions that are not present in the free version. They can be used to move the cursor and send mouseclicks to applications. That's something that can be done with free version too, but in an extremely inconvenient and cumbersome way, because you have to gather some information that is different for each and every application. The pro version makes this much easier. I do not use these functions at all. But Lua is worth it.
David
April 06, 2010 03:54PM
I have read about scripts in the FAQ, that was certainly Lua.
OK thanks. I'm satisfied enough with the Home version, but that may be a way to thank Jeff for this soft I use for years!
April 06, 2010 10:35PM
Thank you for that link, gemisigo! Currently I am using Autohotkey for my scripting needs... but there is one thing I haven't been able to achieve: a way to instantly view the desktop.
- Minimize all is much too slow (I'm on XP)
- Minimizing all windows through Messages screws up my computer
- Currently I am using the "Show Desktop.scr" file that Windows uses itself: it's what is behind the shortcut "show desktop" that is in the Quick Menu on the taskbar by default. This .scr file is however not always as fast as I like it to be.
- Only when I assign "Show/Hide Desktop" to my middle mouse button through the Control Panel do I get a truly fast effect. But I do not know how to assign this effect to a gesture, or to bring it about though Autohotkey.

David, it would indeed be a good way to thank Jeff; that was also the reason why I did it. Incidentally, do you happen to be Dutch?
April 07, 2010 02:12AM
I'm not sure it works on XP but you could try the Win+D (show desktop) hotkey. BTW, what do you mean Minimize all is too slow? Is minimizing a window animated? If not, then it should be instant. If so, you could gain some speed by disabling that.
April 07, 2010 07:12AM
Ah, how can I thank you! Disabling the minimizing animations works, I forgot that that was even possible. I also remember fiddling with Win+D in Autohotkey before, but somehow it didn't work. On your advice, I tried again, but it didn't work; then I got the luminous idea to use d instead of D, and it worked! This feels like my birthday.
April 07, 2010 12:50PM
Nice :) Happy birthday then ;)
April 07, 2010 04:42PM
*Gives Gemisigo a piece of cake*
April 10, 2010 11:39AM
gemisigo Wrote:

>
> Besides Lua support there are two mouse functions
> that are not present in the free version. They can
> be used to move the cursor and send mouseclicks to
> applications. That's something that can be done
> with free version too, but in an extremely
> inconvenient and cumbersome way, because you have
> to gather some information that is different for
> each and every application.

I know you say you don't use these two new moose functions but if you know could you describe the mouseclicks way of working (roughly) as compared to this new version.

Pro version is on my get list although I have no clue of Lua scripting (as yet)

Cheers..
April 11, 2010 02:58PM
You can send mouse-clicks to any application with free version using the Send/Post messages function. It's not as easy as in the pro version since first you have to get the handle of the window you want to accept the click which is different for each applications and what's more important, it can be different for the same application with each run. It could be easily fetch with Lua, there is a small script that can do that (but that would be nonsense as Pro version has the mouse-click feature).
Not to mention that you have to pass the click position in a parameter that you have to create first. But I might be wrong at that, I'm not sure. I only used this method for mouse-clicking in the pre-Pro era :) so I know it can be done but would not recommend for anyone. Not that I use the Pro feature now that it's available, still I think it is useful.

If Pro is on your getlist, it will be your best spent 10$. Lua is a bit strange at the first sight but it can be really useful every now and then.
April 12, 2010 04:21AM
Thanks for the help (again), not sure I'll get into lua, I've tried a couple of scripting things and have never made the grade.

But yes, I'll be getting the Pro asap...
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 7 plus 7?