Donate

Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Next Task, Previous Task

Posted by Rivendell 
Next Task, Previous Task
November 18, 2009 07:14PM
Could anyone please help me. This global commands seem not to work. Is there a way to switch between windows and applications using mouse gestures? Or perhaps even scrolling a mouse wheel?
I've searched this forum but unfortunately haven't found the solution.
Re: Next Task, Previous Task
November 22, 2009 01:09PM
Is there no decision?
November 23, 2009 02:56AM
What do you mean by global commands seem to not work?

I tried switching apps with StrokeIt a few years ago but found it a bit cumbersome. With a single gesture you can switch between the last two applications only and for that purpose using keyboard ALT-TAB is just as fast. And to switch to some other application using ALT-(TAB several times) or simply clicking the taskbar is much faster.

If you are using XP there is an application called TaskSwitchXP which is triggered by a hotkey sequence. You can create a global action that uses that hotkey to bring the TaskSwitch GUI to front and then select the app you want. Does not work in Vista though.

Another app with the same goal called OneFinger Task Switch can be found here:
http://software.techrepublic.com.com/abstract.aspx?docid=733375
Should work more or less the same way TaskSwitchXP does.
Carrozza
November 29, 2009 09:08AM
In my XP system I set these rules to scroll and change tasks with mouse wheel. Quite comfortable I must say.

Task Choose [WheelUp] {

gesture = WHEEL_UP

Alt Up = keys, keys [alt_up]

}

Task Next [WheelDown] {

gesture = WHEEL_DOWN

Alt Tab = keys, keys [alt_down][tab_down][tab_up]
November 29, 2009 07:04PM
That looks really convenient! A pity you can't use the mouse wheel for regular scrolling anymore - or did I not understand it correctly?

I use StrokeIt to perform alt-tab in order to open VistaSwitcher, which has an alt-tab window with a convenient list of programs and previews, and doesn't close until you click something or do alt-tab again.
November 30, 2009 01:35AM
You should be able to use it for regular scrolling if you do not press the gesture trigger key.
November 30, 2009 05:27PM
Carrozza Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In my XP system I set these rules to scroll and
> change tasks with mouse wheel. Quite comfortable I
> must say.
>
> Task Choose {
>
> gesture = WHEEL_UP
>
> Alt Up = keys, keys
>
> }
>
>
> Task Next {
>
> gesture = WHEEL_DOWN
>
> Alt Tab = keys, keys

Hmm. That looks great but how exactly am I to set this rules?
November 30, 2009 05:33PM
Have you set these rules using strokeit?
December 02, 2009 06:15AM
> Alt Up = keys, keys [alt_up]

Is this an XP thing? (I don't remember XP :) It doesn't do anything on my VIsta system...

> Alt Tab = keys, keys [alt_down][tab_down][tab_up]

I think you should add [alt_up] or you may have problems...

> Hmm. That looks great but how exactly am I to set this rules?

For example:

Application = Windows desktop. Create this if you don't already have it; I use CLASS:Progman as the app ID

New action, rename to Task Next. Add gesture WHEEL_DOWN

New command, rename to Alt Tab, choose Keys - Send Keystrokes, and in the edit box put [alt_down][tab_down][tab_up][alt_up]
December 02, 2009 06:54AM
MKairys Wrote:
> > Alt Up = keys, keys [alt_up]
>
> Is this an XP thing? (I don't remember XP :) It
> doesn't do anything on my VIsta system...
It does, but it's 'invisible'. It releases the alt key if it is held.

> > Alt Tab = keys, keys [alt_down][tab_down][tab_up]
>
> I think you should add [alt_up] or you may have
> problems...
No, he should not. It is missing on purpose. If it were present, it would immediately close the taskswitch pane and select the previous window/application/task. This way it remains open and you can click on any task. And this is where you're going to need the action above: to release the alt you pressed and held. It is obligatory for you to do so otherwise you'll end up with a stuck alt key.

> > Hmm. That looks great but how exactly am I to
> set this rules?
You have to set them to globals. If you add a class you won't be able to use them everywhere.

This solution is quite clever and ceases the need for a task switcher application but it is cumbersome. It requires two gestures instead of one. You should put a delay between the alt-tab and the alt-up command so you could do the magic with one single stroke. The interval is up to you to experiment, though.
December 02, 2009 07:27AM
It does work! Though I guess it'll take it
Gemisigo, I don't get what you mean by "You should put a delay between the alt-tab and the alt-up command so you could do the magic with one single stroke. The interval is up to you to experiment, though."
How to put this interval?? and do the magic with one single stroke. Do you mean it's possible to switch without wheel_down and then wheel_up using ONLY wheel_down? That would be great indeed!
December 02, 2009 07:32AM
And can I use middle button down for alt_up instead of wheel up?
December 02, 2009 08:08AM
> How to put this interval?? and do the magic with
> one single stroke. Do you mean it's possible to
> switch without wheel_down and then wheel_up using
> ONLY wheel_down? That would be great indeed!

Yes, my intention was to implement something like that. It could be easily achieved with a command built like this:

_Test [ N rev ] {
gesture = Q
New Command = keys, keys "[ALT_DOWN][TAB]"
New Command = utilities, Delay "5000"
New Command = keys, keys "[ALT_UP]"

Now the problem is that this command fails utterly when it comes to the point where it should issue the [ALT_UP] command. So far it seems that the command is sending the ALT_UP to the window that had the focus when the stroke begun, therefore you end up in the application you where you did the stroke no matter where you clicked meanwhile or which of the applications has the focus currently.

I have no idea how to bypass that and I consider it being a bug despite the fact that it could come handy sometimes.
December 02, 2009 08:45AM
> ... No, he should not. It is missing on purpose...

Ah, sorry, I didn't understand.

> You have to set them to globals...

Yes, you're right of course.
April 23, 2010 03:47AM
Carrozza Wrote:
> In my XP system I set these rules to scroll and
> change tasks with mouse wheel. Quite comfortable I
> must say.
>
> Task Choose {
>
> gesture = WHEEL_UP
>
> Alt Up = keys, keys
>
> }
>
>
> Task Next {
>
> gesture = WHEEL_DOWN
>
> Alt Tab = keys, keys

Works great indeed.. The only problem I have is I forget to do wheel up 90% of the time.. Gotta remember that :)

It would indeed be great if [alt_up] is sent when the right mouse button is released..
Any ideas how this can be done?
James
March 25, 2011 11:07AM
The easiest way I've found to do alt-tabbing is with the following:
Send Keystroke:
[ALT_DOWN][CTRL_DOWN][TAB_DOWN][TAB_UP][CTRL_UP][ALT_UP]

Similarly this can be done in Windows Vista / 7 for the 3d Flip
Send Keystroke:
[WIN_DOWN][CTRL_DOWN][TAB_DOWN][TAB_UP][CTRL_UP][WIN_UP]

This isn't perfect: basically it makes you release the mouse button, then spin the wheel to select the program, but it's better than any alternatives I've found.

This way you don't have to worry about hitting alt again. Though I agree it would be nice not having to release the right mouse button, and just spinning the wheel up or down for alt tabbing. That's kind of what I as hoping to figure out today, but no dice unfortunately.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 7 plus 12?