Wiki
Plugins
Translations
Developers
Donate

Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Make StrokeIt work properly with Maxthon 2.5? 2 classes in 1 program...

Posted by Allen 
My StrokeIt mouse gestures are not working on Maxthon 2.5.9 web browser. Maxthon 2.5 uses 2 classes, 1 for frame 1 for view. So that is causing a problem. Seems mainly a problem with combo hotkeys like CTRL+V , but not a problem with single hotkeys like F1-F12 keys. Is there a way to make it work?

BTW: I'm using StrokeIt 0.9.6
Re: Make StrokeIt work properly with Maxthon 2.5? 2 classes in 1 program...
October 28, 2009 07:47AM
Have you tried using Window Title or File Name for your application identifier?
October 28, 2009 08:25AM
I'm not quite sure I understand the nature of the problem but why did you not add both classes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2009 08:25AM by gemisigo.
"Have you tried using Window Title or File Name for your application identifier?"
yes

"I'm not quite sure I understand the nature of the problem but why did you not add both classes?"
i did

anyways, i found a way to make the older Maxton 2.1.5 work. that one works fine with strokeit. i just have to turn off UAC.

but it would be interesting if there is also a way to make Maxthon 2.5 work
October 29, 2009 08:11AM
> "I'm not quite sure I understand the nature of the
> problem but why did you not add both classes?"
> i did

And it did not help. Quite interesting. Please, post your config here with a brief explanation about what you want to accomplish, under which version of Maxthon/OS, how you tried it, and which parts did/did not work. I'll install Maxthon soon to try and see why it fails.

> anyways, i found a way to make the older Maxton
> 2.1.5 work. that one works fine with strokeit. i
> just have to turn off UAC.

Alternatively, you could try and run StrokeIt with administrative rights. This way you could leave UAC on, it won't (at least it should not) interfere and your security is not compromised by turning UAC off.

> but it would be interesting if there is also a way
> to make Maxthon 2.5 work

I'll try.
>And it did not help. Quite interesting. Please, post your config here with a brief explanation about >what you want to accomplish, under which version of Maxthon/OS, how you tried it, and which >parts did/did not work. I'll install Maxthon soon to try and see why it fails.

single key commands like F1-F12 work. but combo keys like CTRL+V dont. problem is with Maxthon 2.5.x with any OS.

>Alternatively, you could try and run StrokeIt with administrative rights. This way you could leave >UAC on, it won't (at least it should not) interfere and your security is not compromised by turning >UAC off.

i am admin on my system. the older Maxthon 2.1.5 is not compatible with Windows 7. and setting it in XP compatibility mode doesnt work. so i have to turn off UAC.
btw: notice Maxthon 2.5.x doesnt use the standard windows frame anymore. part of the reason for the problem.
October 29, 2009 09:15AM
> i am admin on my system. the older Maxthon 2.1.5
> is not compatible with Windows 7. and setting it
> in XP compatibility mode doesnt work. so i have
> to turn off UAC.

Being admin or logging in as admin does not mean that programs that you start are running with administratory rights. I'm using admin login too, but running StrokeIt simply or with administratory rights results in different behavior of StrokeIt. But if you still have to turn off UAC because of another application it does not really matter to you.

Allright, I'll install Maxthon (this evening or tomorrow) and take a look at it. Will report the results later.

EDIT:
I tried Maxthon and I have sad news for you, Allen.

They guys creating Maxthon decided to reinvent the wheel and integrated their own mouse gesture recognizer which is triggered by RMB and is designed to work in view frame only. You can see a green line drawing if you disable StrokeIt.

The problem is that it interferes with StrokeIt even if it is disabled. It seems as if it was not really disabled, it still recognized strokes, it just did not draw the line and did not execute the corresponding operations.

In my opinion you don't have a slightest chance that StrokeIt will work with this application without a significant change in either or both of them. I tried using MMB as a stroke trigger in StrokeIt, disabling mouse gestures in Maxthon, removing commands assigned to strokes, even removing strokes. Unfortunatelly, none of those worked.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2009 05:00AM by gemisigo.
strokeit works in maxthon 2.5 for single key commands like F1-F12, but not combo keys like ctrl+v. so i guess their dual frame change really messes things up.
October 31, 2009 12:39PM
There's a good chance you might guess it right. And that gives me an idea. I'll post it to Improvement Requests.
I am running Maxthon version 2.5 .9 and everything seems to be working okay. All of my gestures are working correctly. I am still using StrokeIt version 9.5. I have copy and paste gestures set up ( globally ) and I am able to copy and paste text from the above thread into this box. I am also able use I gestures to switch between open browser tabs. So it seems that my multiple key commands as well as my single key commands are working.

I don't have any problems with 9.5 so I don't plan on upgrading. I could not find any change log info to see exactly what changed in between 9.5 and 9.6. I never upgrade software and must I know exactly what it's going to do because usually something ends up breaking and gives me headaches. If you want anyone to upgrade you should let them know exactly what has changed and exactly how to upgrade without losing their gestures and all that.

My Maxthon 2.5.9 settings:
mouse gestures enabled ( I don't see the green line when I gesture , I only see the blue line. )

In the Maxthon mouse gestures options I have all of the gestures disabled/unassigned.
November 07, 2009 03:02AM
OS?
I am using the following application identifiers:
class: IEFrame
file: maxthon.exe
class: Maxthon2_View

This is interesting... I have one stroke that switches to my previous application with the following combo alt+tab ... when I perform this gesture inside of the browser chrome the screen flickers but it does not switch back to the previous application correctly. However when I perform the gesture over the toolbar area on the top of the screen it works correctly.
November 08, 2009 04:47AM
@Wes: Well, sooner or later, when you'll switch to Win 7, you will face the problem that 9.5 does not work correctly anymore. Due to the ways Win 7 (and Vista) handles the screen drawing the blue line becomes sluggish. And don't tell me, you're not upgrading and not going to switch. That is a very hidebound and narrow-minded approach :P That way you're not losing the blue line only but important bugfixes and new features as well. That is not considered a sound stance.

@Wesley: wait for a second. You are using Maxthon but then you say inside browser chrome. Now which one does not work as expected? Chrome or Maxthon?
I also met with the same issue in Maxthon 2.5+, with StrokeIt 0.9.7.
I am not going to use a browser without StrokeIt working properly.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 16 plus 23?