Contact Us

StrokeIt

Detecting links in web browsers?

Posted by Al 
Al
Detecting links in web browsers?
September 15, 2009 11:50AM
Hi!

Is there a way to detect and make use of links that users have clicked on or dragged in Chrome of Firefox? I haven't yet used the Send Message/Post Message functions and wasn't sure if I'd be able to use those somehow. I know they tie in to the win API, so I'm guessing they're quite powerful/versatile but I'm not quite sure how to make sure of them. Never really got into API programming.

I'd like to be able to, say, go to a URL just by dragging the link for a short distance. I can do this using Firegestures in Firefox but I'd preferably like to be able to do it in Chrome as well. And if this was possible, I could then stop using Firegestures too!

Thanks everybody for your help in developing and maintaining this great program!
Re: Detecting links in web browsers?
September 15, 2009 01:28PM
You can go to a link just by clicking it, without dragging it anywhere. What good would that do?
September 15, 2009 01:33PM
You can go to a link just by clicking it. Why dragging it? It seems pointless to me...
Al
September 15, 2009 01:46PM
Clicking opens in same tab - I'd like to open a bunch of links in background tabs - so it's not quite pointless. I guess once you do it, you find out how convenient it can be. Kind of like mouse gestures... some people think those are pointless too :-p

Anyway, you can have different functions (open in background, foreground, etc.) based on which direction you drag in.

I'd rather not use the middle or wheel button. I'd like to implement it through mouse gestures... hence the question on this forum.

Thanks!
September 15, 2009 10:39PM
Ohh, I see. I don`t understand why using the middle button does not satisfy you, I find it more convenient than using gestures for that, it is the fastest solution after all. But it's your choice.
Yes, there is a way. Not any in the standard version that I know, though. And you don't have to "detect" anything at all. You don't even have to use Windows API.

The enhanced version has a big advantage. Iit can use Lua scripts. With those you can locate the origin (I mean the beginning point, that is, the link itself) of the gesture and you can reallocate the mouse pointer there. After that you can issue a right click (or use some other method to open the popup menu/use keyboard shortcuts/etc.) and select whichever better suits you: open in background/foreground/new tab/new window/copy link/save it/do the dishes/whatever.

The enhanced version is definitely worth every penny. Having the ability to use Lua scripts is way to powerful to miss.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2009 10:41PM by gemisigo.
Al
September 16, 2009 01:51PM
Thanks, gemisigo, maybe I'll consider upgrading to the enhanced version... especially if it can help towards doing the dishes! ;-)

Middle-clicking... it's just my problem I guess... the wheel button I have requires some amount of precision and a little bit of strength to click... and... LOL... moving either the index or the middle finger from their assigned positions (left and right mouse buttons). I'm guessing it's because the wheel can be rocked sideways for horizontal scrolling.
September 17, 2009 02:21AM
> Thanks, gemisigo, maybe I'll consider upgrading to
> the enhanced version... especially if it can help
> towards doing the dishes! ;-)

Yepp, it does :P It spares you so much time that you'll have enough to do the dishes :)

> Middle-clicking... it's just my problem I guess...
> the wheel button I have requires some amount of
> precision and a little bit of strength to click...
Well, that is annoying indeed. It even made me change my mouse.
September 26, 2009 10:02AM
I had the same problem with my Logitech mouse, so I went into Logitech's mouse settings and redefined side-scrolling as middle button. I never scroll horizontally anyway and it's nice to just tap the wheel to the side to open tabs.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 20 plus 18?