Donate

Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Suggest preconfigured applications for upcoming release

Posted by jeff 
Suggest preconfigured applications for upcoming release
May 13, 2009 04:27PM
The list of preconfigured applications is very dated and in desperate need of revision.

What applications would you like too see configured for the next release?

-- Jeff
Re: Suggest preconfigured applications for upcoming release
May 13, 2009 10:25PM
StrokeIt :)
utorrent
7-Zip
cmd
desktop
explorer
IE
WinRAR

MDI applications:
Maxthon
Maxthon2
AvantBrowser
AdobeReader
May 16, 2009 04:24PM
Of the apps I use with StrokeIt here are the more common ones, along with the gestures I use although you didn't ask :) You'll see where I've striven for consistency across apps, for ease of remembering what I'd configured :):)

Back Left
Close Document \ Down
Close / Up
Copy Up
Cut Right-Up
Delete Down-Left
Forward Right
Find F
Ignore Gesture X
Ignore Gesture / Down - / Up
Minimize / Down
New N
Open O
Paste Down
Print P
Quit Q
Redo Right-Left
Save S
Undo Left-Right
Select All A
Toggle On Top T Reversed
Escape MBUTTON_UP
Next Monitor LBUTTON_DOWN

Eclipse
Forward Right
Back Left
Inspect V
Shell S
Synch Y
Toggle Comment C
Rename V Reversed
References A
Declaration T
Types T Reversed
Calls A Reversed
Quick Fix F Reversed
Minimize View \ Up
Editors E
Open Resource L
Next Perspective L Reversed

Internet Explorer
Back Left
Forward Right
Close Tab \ Down
New Tab \ Up
Next Tab T
Previous Tab T Reversed
Close Other Tabs Down-Left
Duplicate Tab Up-Down
Parent L Reversed
Parent U
Reopen Tab \ Down - \ Up
Toggle Ad Blocker A
Favorites F Reversed

Outlook
Check Names N
Check Spelling S
Delete Down-Left
Next Right
Previous Left
Mark As Read L
Mark As Unread U
Toggle Groups T
Reading Pane Open \ Up
Reading Pane Close \ Down

UltraEdit
Find Next Right
Find Prev Left
Comment C
Uncomment C Reversed
Shell S
Toggle Bookmark M
Toggle Output \ Up
Toggle Output T

Visual Studio
Run A
Stop A Reversed
Build L
Find Prev Left
Find Next Right
Comment C
Uncomment C Reversed
Windows W
Find F
Quick Watch V
Toggle Region T
Shell S

Windows Desktop
Desk Prev Left
Minimize All / Down
Restore All / Up
Console C
Excel X
StrokeIt Editor L
Favorites F Reversed
Gestures ?
Mail M
MSDN Library H
Outlook O
Programs P
Quicken Q
Registry R
Registry T
Eclipse V Reversed
Winzip Z
Word W
Builder B
Volume Mute A
Volume A Reversed
Synchronize S
Note N
Explorer E
Desk Next Right
Search F
Hotkey L Reversed
Speech T Reversed
Perfmon \ Up
Internet Explorer Down-Up
UltraEdit V
Firefox Down-Up-Down

Windows Explorer
Back Left
Forward Right
Folders T

Windows Picture Viewer
Next Right
Previous Left
May 22, 2009 08:16PM
autocad
a stroke gesture targetting the "Up Directory/File" etc in Winrar ie the little icon near the address bar.. pisses me off rarlab suk so much as to not have given that useful command a keyboard shortcut so that I could bind it in Strokeit.. teh retards

anyway yeah add more apps.. tbh I don't really care about what is choosen for a stroke gesture.. its mainly the fact that by at least providing default setups most the hassle of setting up shortcuts is already done.

Zoomplayer
Winamp
KMPlayer
Notepad++
Outlook
Explorer+ Qttabbar(because microsoft suck and FAIL bad at making any decent explorer improvements)

tbh I have all my own setups for those and more.. really strokeit needs more feature improvements and control than added preconfigs
Hi Jeff,
Really good news this new release.

Personally I use:

[Global Action]
Cut: \up
Close (ALT+F4): \down (but I let C for other users)
ENTER: T

[Firefox]
Close Tab (CTRL+W): C
Close Window (as global action) \down

\down is a bit easier for closing application C is too long ^^

The only problem of this configuration is that sometimes on Firefox C is interpreted as a \down and close the application. If you know a way to avoid this...

Thanks a lot again,
June 10, 2009 10:39AM
How about none? ;)

http://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/forum/read.php?3,36890

Keep the factory default simple. I think the basic gestures (back, forward, close window, minimize, maximize) are the main selling point for StrokeIt.

Having preconfigured gestures for individual applications can be useful, but it is too much for mainstream users who would find it bulky and honestly pretty geeky to try and learn. You can always offer a list of preconfigured applications on the download page.

When I first tried out StrokeIt many years ago I was turned off by all the bloated apps with individual gestures and frankly I was not interesting in spending time learning it. I didn't see how having a gesture was any faster than clicking a button, and some gesture shapes (like letters) were awkward to execute. And do you need a gesture for "LOL" in a chat window? I thought gestures were overkill and uninstalled StrokeIt.

A year later I tried out a Firefox extension for mouse gestures and loved it. Going back and forward between pages and closing and creating tabs was so much faster that I was frustrated that I couldn't use the same back, forward and close gestures for every app. Then I remembered StrokeIt. So I reinstalled the program, deleted all the preconfigured apps, and tweaked the global gestures to mimic the basic gestures I used for Firefox.

I think the market for StrokeIt to speed up basic navigation in Windows is a lot larger than the market to assign unique gestures for every app. I say keep the default structure simple for new users' sake and focus on StrokeIt's user-friendliness and configurability. That's the reason StrokeIt users have stuck around all these years despite the lack of updates.

I would however suggest you offer an easier way to add applications so users don't have to play with the application identifiers. Keep a small database of applications and their associated identifiers so users could select common apps from a drop down.
June 11, 2009 01:22PM
Has anyone else moved on to using a mouse gestures add-on for Firefox? I use Mouse Gestures Redox and I have since disabled StrokeIt for within Firefox. I kept on trying to go back and forth in Explorer though, so I'm really happy that StrokeIt development is back on track!
June 20, 2009 02:53AM
gorkyness Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about none? ;)
I definitely agree. Most of the users will switch to their own gestures by time anyway. It is much easier to create one than to remember every time to... uh, what was it again? :)

> I think the market for StrokeIt to speed up basic
> navigation in Windows is a lot larger than the
> market to assign unique gestures for every app. I
> say keep the default structure simple for new
> users' sake and focus on StrokeIt's
> user-friendliness and configurability.
That is reasonable too, new users would be confused if the knew the power of this very little app. They will learn to use it if there is an easy way to configure it. That's the beauty of it, isn't it? :)

> I would however suggest you offer an easier way to
> add applications so users don't have to play with
> the application identifiers. Keep a small database
> of applications and their associated identifiers
> so users could select common apps from a drop
> down.
Now I would suggest not to do that. Maintaining a "small" database would absolutely not do it's job. Applications tend to evolve and doing so they tend to change their identifiers, titles, filenames, etc. A "small" database would rather quickly grow a "medium" one, and so on. It would not be easier to find an item among hundreds from a dropdown, would it?

Not to mention, that it would have to be maintained by someone. It is more cumbersome than to select StrokeIt's finder tool, and drop on the application again, if something changed.

The one thing gMote had done good is the menu to select currently running applications (not from a database). This (and perhaps keeping the availability to let the user choose which method he/she prefers to associate the application to actions) would be much better than to maintain a database.
June 20, 2009 07:20PM
@gemisigo: Yeah the way gMote does it would be better. I like to hide technical details like application identifiers unless you need to troubleshoot.

I think the main argument for preconfigured apps is just so people have a list of sample actions available to avoid having to figure out and set up the hotkeys for that app. But rather than making them the default settings for everyone, perhaps if you add an application that StrokeIt recognizes there could be a pop-up that asks "Would you like to import a few suggested actions for this application?" Or you could choose to import the preconfigured apps individually from a short dropdown, as I mentioned earlier.

In any case the default configuration should be simple: back, forward, close program, minimize, maximize, perhaps even new window and refresh; and for web browsers, new tab and close tab override new window and close program. These basic navigational gestures are the reason StrokeIt is so indispensable. People can extend unique gestures to additional applications from there if they wish.
June 22, 2009 08:29AM
gorkyness Wrote:
> you add an application that StrokeIt recognizes
> there could be a pop-up that asks "Would you like
> to import a few suggested actions for this
> application?"

An excellent idea :) Many people would favor that.
Cerberusâ„¢
July 19, 2009 01:15AM
I'm sorry to bump in, but I was quite glad to have the pre-configured apps, even though I didn't use most of them. It gave me some inspiration for adding my own. I used it for some apps. It was an easy way to find out what the most common hotkeys are for some apps (much easier than having to look them up myself when I don't know them by heart). Besides, anyone who doesn't like them can easily delete the bunch, right?
An option to not import the pre-configured apps would be alright, though.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 20 plus 11?