Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Help test upcoming release!

Posted by jeff 
Help test upcoming release!
April 23, 2009 10:00AM
Hello, Everyone,

It's been awhile, but I finally have a little more time to work on StrokeIt. I've got some big ideas for where I want to go with this project, but for now I'm going to focus on stability and performance fixes, especially on Vista, 64-bit platforms, and Windows 7.

Vista users: Line drawing should now work on Aero desktops, however, because of the changes Vista has made to graphic displays, the line drawing may not be as fast as XP. It works well on the machines I've tested, but I would like feedback from everyone using this. I'd especially like any performance feedback from users with three or more monitors.

I've also created a [url="www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/wiki"]Wiki[/url] where I hope we can start collecting some of the great ideas from the forums. It's pretty empty right now, so if anyone has the time to move some of the existing documentation into the wiki it would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, there's an extremely simple [url="www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/wiki/index.php?title=Bugs:List"]Bug tracker[/url] page on the wiki. I'd like everyone to post any and all bugs that they know about. I'll do my best to fix them up and package a new release.

The new installer should do a good job of moving your .9.5 settings into the new profile locations. Still, it's always a good idea to backup your strokeit folder before testing a preview release.

If the program crashes, a crash report is written to your StrokeIt profile directory (%APPDATA%\TCB Networks\Strokeit\CrashRpt). Please zip this file and email it to me. My email address is in the about menu. Be aware that this memory dump will contain your customized actions, so if you've configured StrokeIt to send passwords or other sensitive information, you may want to try recreating the crash with the default configurations.

Thanks,

Jeff

Latest Installer (6/11/2009) - [url="www.tcbmi.com/downloads/strokeit/pre1/StrokeIt_0.9.6-preview-110609.exe"]Download[/url]

Changelog:
+ Line drawing on vista
+ Actions/gestures now stored in user profile (per-user gestures/actions)
+ Default install directory changed to Program Files\TCB Networks\StrokeIt
+ Registry settings now stored in HKCU\Software\TCB Networks\StrokeIt
+ Portable-mode (create strokeit.ini in the same directory as strokeit.exe)
+ Read-only mode for preferences, gestures, and actions (ReadOnly=1 in strokeit.ini)
+ Vista - gestures should work in IE7 and other protected applications
+ Vista - Wheel Up/Down should work
+ Crash log written to CrashRpt folder in strokeit profile directory
+ SendKeys should work with IE8 Protected Mode
+ Possible fix for users having trouble identifying applications by filename
+ Fixed identify by filename on WinXP
+ Fixed vista line drawing issues when resizing desktop
+ Better saving when running in portable mode
+ Installer cleanup
+ New local-user install mode allows installation without admin rights
+ AlwaysLearn preference is now NeverLearn and should work in portable mode
+ Installer fixes for Win9x
+ Uninstaller fixes
+ More installer fixes
+ Fixes for NT4
+ Digital Signature on installer and all other files
+ Misc GUI fixes
+ Misc code cleanup
+ Learning mode now draws the "review" line correctly on vista

Edited 20 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2009 12:23PM by jeff.
Meghashyam
Re: Help test upcoming release!
April 23, 2009 01:10PM
Jeff,
I am using StrokeIt for quite a long time and since the time I moved to Vista, I was waiting for an updated version. I was very happy to see an update today, and I immediately updated the executable.

I was so glad to see that the trail works properly now and I have not seen any problem as yet. Thanks for releasing the new version. Hope to see a complete setup with few more features soon from you!

Thanks again.
Meghashyam,
Bangalore, India
pi
April 24, 2009 03:30PM
I would like to test win64 versions.
nice to have you back in mother internet :D

we need to stay in touch because stroke areas was my suggestion.
i made a lot of progress in that.

for some exe i assign quickmarcos (qm).

all strokes now will be passed to qm.
there i ask for mouse position.

qm.exe M "strokeit" "/down"

my username there is _pi
http://www.quickmacros.com/
http://www.quickmacros.com/forum/
Carrozza
April 25, 2009 05:56AM
Jeff?
Please excuse my ignorance, but are you the legacy developer of Stroke-it, Jeff?
As previous posters said, many of us are using this great software from years and are just eventually moving to other solutions (like upcoming StrokePlus) because of Windows 7.
But if you are here to stay... well, so I am, too! :-)
Carrozza
Stroke-it beta error
April 25, 2009 06:01AM
Just tried the new executable, but got a "Load library error".

Maybe the new 'strokeit.exe' beta is supposed to overwrite the old one, in the same directory of an existing installation?
April 25, 2009 07:07AM
Jeff, great to hear you're alive & well & breathing new Life into StrokeIt !

* Does this new release change any functionalities running in XP ?

It will be a little while before I switch to Win 7,
however I'd like to offer my time/skills to write & Camtasia some documentation for StrokeIt -
it's the most useful app I have & I'm super grateful for it.

I haven't seen a method for PMs on this forum,
but you have my email from my registration -
I'd be pleased to hear from you if I can be of service in this way
(btw - I spent some time living an hour away in Holland, 49423 :-) )
April 25, 2009 10:01PM
Just tested on my Vista 64 machine. Works great, and I have my trails back! No problems observed so far.

Many thanks!
Carrozza
April 27, 2009 02:04AM
OK, now is working well on my Windows XP 32 bit.
Will report back any feedback.
Thanks Jeff!
April 27, 2009 07:56AM
Jeff! How wonderful to have you back! This is absolutely the best news the Internet could have coughed up for me this morning :)

- Michael
Leo
April 27, 2009 09:24AM
I agree completely to Michael. Welcome back Jeff.

-Leo

PS: Sorry I use XP till it dies.
April 27, 2009 12:31PM
jeff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Line drawing should now work on Aero ...
> but I would like feedback from everyone using this.

Works well here, Vista Aero on two monitors. It's great to have the line back; it really helps my gesture accuracy.

My [url=http://enablevirtualdesktop.com/virtualdesktop/index.htm]virtual desktop[/url] program, which has a "mini-window" view of the desktops, shows you popping up a drawing surface across the whole screen extent. Seems to be a good solution.
April 27, 2009 04:51PM
How to (usefully) report crashes?

With .9.6, as with .9.5, I have seemingly random crashes when drawing. (This is with Vista Aero). All I know, of course, is "StrokeIt stopped working". How can I gather information or otherwise make a useful report about this? I have never managed to find a reproducible case.

Also I have had, and still have, seemingly random occasions where StrokeIt decides to pin the CPU (actually one of two) and has to be killed. Again, how can I make a useful report about this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2009 04:51PM by MKairys.
metina
April 27, 2009 05:38PM
wheel_up /down still don't work unfortunately
Leo
April 28, 2009 12:33PM
Hi Jeff,

To test if your are ready to get Windows 7 logo :)

http://blogs.msdn.com/usisvde/archive/2009/04/13/alpha-version-of-windows-logo-testing-kit-ready-april-14.aspx

-Leo
Kris
April 29, 2009 11:16AM
Jeff welcome back !!!
April 29, 2009 12:57PM
Howdy

I have downloaded and done a fresh install of the new version of Strokeit
"StrokeIt_0.9.6-preview-280409.exe". I am very hapy to say that Strokeit now works in Vista32 with both UAC and IE Protected Mode on.

All the previous versions of Strokeit including the standalone executable dated 23/04/09, have all performed well for me (except for the IE/UAC problem). Strokeit has been lightning fast, no lockups at all, no CPU resource issues, and I have been able to create complex gestures using Internet Explorer and other applications that worked well. The system is a mid level Intel Core 2 Duo, with 4 GB certified memory and a mid level Nvidia card, on a single monitor.

The latest preview edition "StrokeIt_0.9.6-preview-280409.exe" has some problems that did not appear at all in the previous versions whatsoever. It appears that after only preliminary testing, that these gesture problems are Internet Explorer only related. Here are several that I have found.

-the gesture C for close window Alt+F4, works perfectly in every other application, but it hangs Internet Explorer, it even seems to hang the entire computer for about 5 seconds. I can instead of the gesture, manually type the keystrokes Alt+F4 successfully to close IE, and I can close the application with the mouse using the X-close button at the top right hand corner. Again this has never happened previously. All of the supplied and most of my custom gestures for Internet Explorer work very well.

-I have several custom gestures that use the Address bar in IE that have all worked perfectly previously, but now send IE into full screen mode (hotkey F11) instead. Here is an example:
}
WikiPedia Search [W Reversed] {
gesture = W Reversed
Alt+d+url+Ctrl+v+Alt+Enter = keys, keys [CTRL_DOWN]c[CTRL_UP][ALT_DOWN]d[ALT_UP]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=[CTRL_DOWN]v[CTRL_UP][ALT_DOWN][ENTER_DOWN][ALT_UP][ENTER_UP]
}
But, I can successfully, manually type in the above keystrokes in order to achieve the correct actions. It appears to be some new complication with the Address Bar. I have several other gestures that use the Address Bar the worked previously, but now all send IE into full screen mode.

This testing is prelimenary for now. I will work more on the second issue (IE Address Bar), but the first problem IE Alt+F4 system freeze, hangup is serious problem, which may have other consequences.

Thanks
Dennis Trafananko
metina
April 30, 2009 03:14PM
metina Wrote:
> wheel_up /down still don't work unfortunately

Now.... YESS
wheel up/down work

Thanks and Regards....
April 30, 2009 07:44PM
GJ!. jeff is a great guy! i always wanna to thank u.!Happy International Labor Day !
metina
Send keystrokes ?
May 01, 2009 06:55AM
Hi again,

------------
<VERSION>StrokeIt .9.4</VERSION>

<APP name="strokeit">
exec=strokeit.exe
export {
gesture = E
New Command = keys, hotkey [CTRL_DOWN]R[CTRL_UP]
New Command = keys, keys ae[ENTER]
}
</APP>
-------------

[ENTER], [TAB], [SPACE] does not work at all

Os=VHB

Regards...!
kris
May 02, 2009 03:22PM
Jeff. first of all. welcome back :)
I tried the new version. Its the same as .95 in Vista with the difference that it works with IE in protected mode. Note that I was able to run .95 in vista without problems (not counting the ocassional crashes) using the tweaks suggested in this forum.
It still does not work in "administrator mode"
May 02, 2009 11:21PM
im back i updated to 0.96 days ago but yesterday windows told me cannt use hook.dll and st cannt work
so i change back to 095
my system is xp
May 04, 2009 04:00PM
@ali_zkz: If you're upgrading from .9.5, make sure you reboot if the installer tells you to. Mhook.dll needs to be updated to work with .9.6
aseioteur
May 05, 2009 12:45PM
Cannot identify the file name when i try to dragged the finder tools to add new "Disabled Apps", it worked fine in the preview versions.

think you for your good job!
Jordan
May 06, 2009 05:44AM
Oh, yeah!!
Today must be my Freeware lucky day!
I saw a new 64bit version kxMixer (a kickass Creative Sound Card Driver) coming out. That's good news to me.
And now I see Jeff is back here with a new beta! That's superb news to the world!

I won't switch to Windows 7 if the above two (or Jeff's StrokeIt only) does not work. I say it twice. I can't stand any OS without StrokeIt running happily there.
May 06, 2009 08:43AM
aseioteur Wrote:
> Cannot identify the file name when i try to
> dragged the finder tools to add new "Disabled
> Apps", it worked fine in the preview versions.

Yes,I have the problem too.

And I find the other two problems.
1. Shift + Delete Can't wrok in some applications,like Bitcomet and Thunder
http://www.bitcomet.com/
http://gigaget.com/

2. I use Portable-mode but I am not set StrokeIt.ini with "ReadOnly=1" but StrokeIt still not save the action and command changes(it can save the edit --> preference).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2009 07:56PM by DemoJameson.
K.K.K
May 06, 2009 12:58PM
It's so nice to have you back!
I just test the new version strokeit on windows7 rc 7100 with aero desktops.The line drawing had a little slowly and many black blocks around it.But if I turn off the aero desktops it worked pretty well.
Hope this problem could be fix soon

Thanks and Regards....
May 07, 2009 02:55PM
If you're having trouble identifying applications by file name, please upgrade to the latest release (07052009) and try again. If you're still having trouble, please let me know what OS you're using.

This should work more reliably with protected mode IE7/IE8, please let me know if you experience any further issues with protected mode apps.

Also, be sure to reboot if the installer tells you that you need to. You will have problems using StrokeIt until you reboot.

Thanks for all the feedback,

Jeff
aseioteur
May 08, 2009 04:26AM
Thank you for your attention!

But i still have trouble in identify applications by file name, it always display "?" in the textbox.

My OS is XP Pro SP3, hope can fixed in the next release.

Appreciate!
fuxs
May 08, 2009 05:31PM
(after short test on Win7 RC 32bit)
YMMD!
:)
May 09, 2009 07:40AM
aseioteur Wrote:
> But i still have trouble in identify applications
> by file name, it always display "?" in the
> textbox.

Me too.
My OS is xp pro sp3 zh-cn.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.