Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

StrokeIt damages your health

Posted by user 
StrokeIt damages your health
November 05, 2007 02:10AM
hello

I am deeply concerned that mouse gestures may damage your hand, joints and fingers more than other mouse/keyboard actions

I haven't done any research about this, but it's my impression that mouse gestures damage your hand

as we all know, mouse gesture is a combination of holding a mouse click and at the same time moving the mouse

here are some arguements that mouse gesture damage your hand:

ofcourse, both mouse clicking and mouse moving damages your hand
but the combination of having the mouse clicked and moving the mouse feels much more damaging for your hand

furthemore, the fact that most mouse gestures are of complex mouse movement that you don't normaly do by simple mouse movement (eg. consider Q-shaped mouse gesture) is another arguement that mouse gestures damage more your hand

moreover, the fact that holding a mouse clicked is more damaging than single clicking the mouse for few miliseconds and then releasing it

looking forward to reading your opinions, arguements or any other references/links about this

thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2007 02:13AM by user.
Re: StrokeIt damages your health
November 05, 2007 08:36AM
I have quite the opposite opinion.

In both my resarch and my personal experience I find that a major contributor to RSS is the frequent movement of the arm between the mouse and the keyboard. Even if the elbow is properly supported (which it often isn't) this movement, and the subsequent reshaping of the hand from mouse-holding to keyboard-using, calls into play many fine and delicate muscles in the lower arm and wrist. It is my belief that this movement back and forth should be minimized; so my goal is: when on the keyboard stay on the keyboard; when on the mouse stay on the mouse. Accordingly I have a similar set of shourtcuts implemented both in StrokeIt and in my keyboard shortcut utility (I currently use [url=http://sweb.cz/petr.lastovicka/others.html]Hotkeyp[/url]).

In the three years I have been using StrokeIt I have found this to be the most relaxing and comfortable evironment I have had, and I have worked daily with a mouse and keyboard for 20 years or more.
Teuf
November 05, 2007 10:24AM
...So, then use a pen and a tablet (such wacom).

Teuf
Spoonguard
December 06, 2007 01:35PM
I use shoulder buttons to stroke, and believe me I stroke it a lot to no ill effect.
January 10, 2008 05:43PM
How you use StrokeIt determines how healthy it is. I have RSI, and I find that StrokeIt reduces tendon pain. This is because I can reduce complex tasks to a single 'flick'. I only use straight line gestures (Up, down, etc), because I find the complex gestures ARE hard on the wrists, as you suggest. Straight lines allow for an incredibly brief automatic motion, once you learn the motion.
And get a mouse with minimal resistance.

What are shoulder buttons?
pooyan
January 15, 2008 02:42AM
Many many damage our health.For example,PC,TV,game,internetCkeybordCMonitorcc

So how do weHReturn to the primitive societyH
hawleyfromhell
April 06, 2008 11:08PM
aha. well then if thats true...

...the Nintendo Wii must be really bad for your arms and hands ;)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 6 plus 8?