Wiki
Plugins
Translations
Developers
Donate

Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

close gesture not working with certain websites.

Posted by tawfiq 
<HTML>i have noticed this quite a long time ago, but i keep forgeting to post about it, on some websites gestures would not work in ie, for example goto http://www.deskmod.com/ and then try to do the "C" gestures to close the window. it wont close but Deskmod search box will gain focus.

upon investigation, i figured out why it happens, DeskMod uses a Keybaord shortcut to access the search box by pressing ALT+S while IE has focus. the html code looks something like:

<input type="text" name="searchstring" size="23" accesskey="s">

so what happens when StrokeIt try to sends the "ALT+F4" to close the windows in this case is that upon pressing ALT its used to handle the site key shorcuts and focus the searchbox instead of closing IE window.

for now i made a simple Proxomitron Filter as a work-around:

Name = "Remove Site AccessKeys"
Active = TRUE
Limit = 256
Match = "\saccesskey="?""

Proxomitron is a freeware excellent web filtering proxy http://www.proxomitron.org/ that filter simply removes those access keys that sites may specify.

i am wondering if this can be fixed somehow in StrokeIt itself?maybe using a different method to close windows instead of ALT+F4 ?</HTML>
<HTML>err, sorry i didnt mean for the html code to be processed, the code would look something like:

|<|input type="text" name="searchstring" size="23" accesskey="s"|>|

remove the "|"s</HTML>
<HTML>okies last reply to myself, promise :)

here is a much improved Proxomitron Filter:

Name = "Remove Site AccessKeys"
Active = TRUE
Multi = TRUE
Bounds = "<input*>"
Limit = 256
Match = "\1\saccesskey="?"\2"
Replace = "\1\2"

oh although i didnt intend to do this, but this thread page is now serving as a living demostration of what i am talking about :) thanks to the html that got processed by mistake in my first post.

:)</HTML>
<HTML>I haven't noticed this...but, of course, I don't use IE. In reality, this is an IE bug, since it really ought not do anything unless Alt+S is pressed, not just "Alt"...but since it does, I suppose you could just switch the close command to being SendMessage WM_CLOSE (0x0010)

I think we should really just chalk this up as an IE bug, rather than trying to work around it in the official release...not every window seems to respond to WM_CLOSE as well as we'd like. Maybe I can do some more testing, and see if we can find a happy medium.

-- Jeff</HTML>
<HTML>indeed i agree with you that it is not StrokeIt fault at all, but rather an oddity in IE.

regarding your suggestion, how about making StrokeIt close Only IE windows with SendMessage WM_CLOSE (0x0010) but use ALT+F4 as usual for all other applications.

actually, i already tried to do this, by adding an action to "Internet Explorer" in StrokeIt settings to close IE with the SendMessage method, but for some reason i have not been successfull, here are the setting i used:

SendMessage
Window by Class = IEFrame
MessageID = WM_CLOSE
WParam = 0x0010

that doesnt work for me.

also a final version of the Proxomitron filter is here if anyone is intrested <A HREF="http://tijan.net/Prox_accesskey.txt">click</A></HTML>
<HTML>I have nothing to add to the subject.. Just saying hi to a fellow Proxomitron user. :-D

~JD5000</HTML>
<HTML>Maur loves Deskmod.
Maur loves Proxomitron.
Maur loves StrokeIt.

Whoo.</HTML>
<HTML>Using PostMessage instead of SendMessage seems to work with IE. Screwy, but it works.

Post Message
Message ID = WM_CLOSE
wParam = Blank (or 0)
lParam = Blank (or 0)

-- Jeff</HTML>
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 25 plus 21?