Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Yet another beta 9 preview

Posted by Jeff 
Jeff
Yet another beta 9 preview
May 18, 2002 09:28PM
<HTML>Here's a new preview of the upcoming .9b9 release. I think most of the problems with the earlier previews should be fixed now. However, there are still a few things that need testing/verification.

- Please check that the new WHEEL_UP and WHEEL_DOWN gestures work on your system. Right click and roll the mousewheel. By default, this should switch between the applications on your task bar.

- I've added a new export feature (and redone the import feature to work with this). Go ahead and play with this, let me know if you see any problems.

- Everyone who reported StrokeIt causing problems with system resources, please see if this is still a problem.

When mentioning a bug or problem, please mention your operating system and any mouse drivers (intellipoint/logitech) that you may have installed.

<a href="http://www.tcbmi.com/cgi-bin/download.pl?file=StrokeIt9b9-pre.exe">Download it here</a>

Enjoy,

Jeff</HTML>
Dennis
Re: Yet another beta 9 preview
May 19, 2002 11:12PM
<HTML>Memory leak fixed for me. Still like strokeIT alot. And for Scott: Again :) Yes you are right, StrokeIT doesn't overwrite my old Action files, it asks politely if it should overwrite them, BUT it adds all the standard functions anyways. I don't need Serv-U just for example, so after every update I have to delete all the "junk" :) I hope I could clarify my point.

Hasta luego,
Dennis</HTML>
JD
May 20, 2002 02:17PM
<HTML>The resource problem for me is still there. GDI resources to be precise. After 3-4 hours of surfing stroke-it uses 20-30%. (I've killed my apps one by one to make sure it's not another program.) It's better then what it used to be tho. :)

The mouse gestures work fine, one scroll activities the command. I've been able to logoff fine so far... Let me try restarting stroke-it with Opera running.

W98 - Logitech Mouseware 9.42.1</HTML>
JD
May 20, 2002 02:18PM
<HTML>Hey, I'm back. No bluescreens of death. ;-)</HTML>
tawfiq
May 20, 2002 05:02PM
<HTML>Jeff, just a alittle suggestion, StrokeIt loses its tray icon whenever explorer.exe crashes or is killed on purpose.

there is a very easy way to fix this, with just a few lines of code, please take a look at this site:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/
shellcc/platform/Shell/programmersguide/shell_int/
shell_int_programming/taskbar.asp

a quote from that site:

Taskbar Creation Notification
With Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 and later, the Shell notifies applications that the taskbar has been created. When the taskbar is created, it registers a message with the TaskbarCreated string and then broadcasts this message to all top-level windows. When your taskbar application receives this message, it should assume that any taskbar icons it added have been removed and add them again. This feature generally applies only to services that are already running when the Shell begins execution. The following example shows a very simplified method for handling this case.

Hide Example

LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc(HWND hWnd, UINT uMessage, WPARAM wParam,
LPARAM lParam)
{
static UINT s_uTaskbarRestart;

switch(uMessage)
{
case WM_CREATE:
s_uTaskbarRestart = RegisterWindowMessage(TEXT("TaskbarCreated"));
break;

default:
if(uMessage == s_uTaskbarRestart)
AddTaskbarIcons();
break;
}
return DefWindowProc(hWnd, uMessage, wParam, lParam);
}

thanks</HTML>
Jeff
May 20, 2002 06:51PM
<HTML>tawfiq,

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure add that.

-- Jeff</HTML>
Jeff
May 20, 2002 11:52PM
<HTML>Okay,

I've fixed the resource leak, added the trayicon restoration code, and reworked string handling (slightly smaller compiled files, a bit less memory usage). Now I'm going to add an "-import" command line option, and associate StrokeIt with .sxp files. Unless anybody notices more problems, or can come up with other features that I should add, I think those are all the additional features that are going to make it into this release. With any luck, .9b9 should be out by the end of this week.

I'll try to post an updated build tomorrow to let everyone verify that the resource leak is gone (it is, I promise), and have a nice stable build to play with.

-- Jeff</HTML>
tawfiq
May 21, 2002 01:24AM
<HTML>well since you are asking for new features, here is one i would really like to see, though its purely cosmetic.

anti-aliased smooth lines when drawing symbols, i have no idea really if that is possible or not, but if it is possible it would be really nicer than the edgy jagged lines. :)</HTML>
Scott
May 21, 2002 10:46AM
<HTML>Originally posted by Dennis:
"BUT it adds all the standard functions anyways. I don't need Serv-U just for example, so after every update I have to delete all the "junk" :) I hope I could clarify my point."

Yup, that's what I'm working on. I haven't been particularly pleased with this in the past, but I think I have found a suitable way to make this significantly better.

-Scott</HTML>
Dennis
May 21, 2002 11:34AM
<HTML>Originally posted by Scott:
>>Yup, that's what I'm working on.

Luv ya, go ahead make it nice :) I'll be looking forward to the final Jeff. I don't even know why u'r still under version 1 :) Microsoft would be already at version 8.0 :) How many people are actually working on the program besides addiditional language files? Scott and Jeff? Cuz that all I figured fromt eh forum entries. To tawfiq: I really like that fix, it's funny because even Microsoft's own program the Dialup manager, or whatever u wanna call it in Win95,98,SE disappears too, so they arent able themselves to add this itty bitty line, well I dont wanna trash them. You know what I want? A linux port for strokit, that would be real cool. And don't tell me there are already programs out there, cuz they're nothing compared to strokeit.

Keep marinatin'
dennis

PS: If you ever have the chance to go to San Francisco, go there, I really like the city, just went there before I went to LA. (In my messages is a lot of off topic, I think I'm gonna cut that out and stay on topic :)</HTML>
Jeff
May 21, 2002 07:54PM
<HTML>As promised, here's the latest build. This should incorporate just about everything (I'm still working on a mousewheel bug under NT4). The installer doesn't set the .sxp file associations yet, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Let me know what you think.

<a href="http://www.tcbmi.com/cgi-bin/download.pl?file=StrokeIt9b9-pre.exe">Download</a>

Dennis: Scott is kind enough to maintain the installer, create the icons, and write some plugins. I do whatever is left after that :)

tawfiq: Anti-aliasing is going to have to wait for another release, but I'll add it to the list and give it some thought...no promises, though.

-- Jeff</HTML>
JD
May 22, 2002 08:53PM
<HTML>This version is smooth as silk, Jeff & Scott! There is no resource problem at all. After hours of use, stroke-it uses a whopping 0% of resources. :-D</HTML>
Dennis
May 24, 2002 03:30PM
<HTML>I didn't try the version before, but this one I did. The cycling through windows doesn't work for me proberly with the wheel, how it worked before.
If I use Winows-Next Task and use right mouse click + mouse up, then the first "wheelspin" goes to the next task, but the next spin does nothing. So I have to release te right mouse button and start spinning the wheel again. Some versions ago it worked how I wanted it to work, so that I just have to right mouse click and spin the wheel and I coudl spin the whole time. Alt+Tab doesn't work either, only the "first-spin" is recognized.

Time toooooooo say goodbye,
Dennis</HTML>
acidfunk
May 26, 2002 08:04AM
<HTML>got the same problem with the latest build that Dennies described.</HTML>
acidfunk
May 26, 2002 08:05AM
<HTML>microsoft wheelmouse optical running on w2k sp2.</HTML>
Jeff
May 26, 2002 04:58PM
<HTML>Here's another updated build:

- fixed wheel problem
- fixed another wheel problem (NT4 only)
- fixed import problem
- caught a memory leak or two

I'm starting to become convinced that this build is solid, but test it out for yourselves, and let me know for sure :)

<a href="http://www.tcbmi.com/cgi-bin/download.pl?file=StrokeIt9b9-pre.exe">Download</a>

-- Jeff</HTML>
Dennis
May 28, 2002 12:02AM
<HTML>Problem solved perfectly. Thanks for quick solving Jeff.

Veni Vidi Vici
Dennis</HTML>
JD
May 28, 2002 03:00PM
<HTML>No problems here.

~JD</HTML>
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 6 plus 6?