Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

sending backslash with keystrokes

Posted by Jon D. 
Jon D.
sending backslash with keystrokes
June 17, 2005 05:34PM
It seems that I am unable to send a backslash with a "Send Keystrokes" command. Any ideas how to do this?

I want an action to save a webpage (from Firefox) to my desktop, overwriting the previous copy. I have the following keystrokes (to invoke the save dialog, type the path, and then OK the overwrite):

[CTRL_DOWN]S[CTRL_UP]\Documents[SPACE]and[SPACE]Settings\Jon\Desktop\tmp.htm[ENTER]y

Instead, the document gets saved as "Documents and SettingsJonDesktopcat.txt" in the directory that Firefox last saved to. I can generate a forward slash (like for URLs), but not a backslash.

Is there a way to generate a backslash?

Jon
CaptnBlack
Re: sending backslash with keystrokes
June 18, 2005 05:35PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I think you have to use double backslash when entering paths.

I think you also need to have a [KEY_DOWN] and a [KEY_UP] for every key press.

But if it's the "Save As" dialog and you're sending that to the file name dropdown, it wouldn't be saved to that directory anyway.
You would have to select the directory in the "Save As" dialog, then enter the name for the file.
CaptnBlack
June 19, 2005 05:21AM
After thinking about this, I think your best solution would be to use the "Down Load Sort" extension for Firefox, it would allow you to use just the hotkey CTRL+S to do what you want.
bubba
November 27, 2005 08:40PM
Jon, I assume you've figured it ant by now, but you can try this:

[CTRL_DOWN]S[CTRL_UP]\\Documents[SPACE]and[SPACE]Settings\\Jon\\Desktop\\tmp.htm[ENTER]y

forsome reason, backslashes have to be doubled-up
Jon D.
January 05, 2006 02:30PM
Yep, \\ does the trick. I think this is like escaping special characters in regular expressions. Thanks all!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Attachments:
  • Valid attachments: zip, sxp, cfg
  • No file can be larger than 128 KB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 512 KB
  • 4 more file(s) can be attached to this message

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 19 plus 2?