Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

I want to stroke my links ;-)

Posted by malcreant 
malcreant
I want to stroke my links ;-)
January 27, 2005 01:52PM
I'm addicted to a gesture I set up in Firefox which lets me swipe across a link (/ Up) on a web page and have it open in a new tab. The new tab also gets the focus. If I swipe on a non-link area of the page I get a new tab with my home page (search engines, etc.).

It sounds like StrokeIt can't access the link information in an app nor can it send a right-click followed by a hotkey.

Q1) Can StrokeIt access the link information in an app? Is this possible with its design? Could it be addressed with a plugin?

Q2) Are there plans to add the ability to send a right-click? (I saw a few requests for this)

I disabled / Up in Global Actions and made sure it wasn't used in Mozilla but the gesture is never passed to Firefox. I hoped I could leave it defined in Firefox and have StrokeIt ignore the gesture. I can use the CTRL key to work around it temporarily but this is obviously not ideal.

Q3) Is it possible to disable a gesture so it is passed through to Firefox's gesture handler instead?

Thanks.

P.S.
Great utility. I didn't start fooling with mouse gestures until I recently began using Firefox. The only limitation I found is that I soon wanted the same gestures to work in other apps. StrokeIt might be the solution I'm looking for but I really, really want to be able to stroke my links. ;-)

Leo
Re: I want to stroke my links ;-)
January 28, 2005 12:58PM
Hi malcreant,

A fast solution is that you simply disable Gesture Recognition for Firefox.

"Disable gestures in this application"

Q1) Could it be addressed with a plugin?

Yes a example is [url=http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/]Kmeleon[/url]

Q2) Are there plans to add the ability to send a right-click?

I don't know let Jeff surprising us :)

Q3) see beginning

with best regards

Leo

malcreant
January 28, 2005 08:58PM
Thanks Leo.

My goal is to create a set of gestures that would apply to all browser-like applications. I know that's a big windmill to be chasing but I started using gestures in Firefox and find myself unconciously trying to use the same gestures in apps like Acrobat or Windows Explorer or Outlook.

To be honest, gestures have limited usefulness for me. I marvel at the variety of gestures people have created but I also wonder how many people actually use the gestures.

For me, the goal is to keep my hand on the mouse in applications that emphasize the mouse and keep my hand on the keyboard for applications that emphasize hotkeys. Gestures for a chat program don't make much sense to me.

How is K-Meleon an example? Is there a StrokeIt plugin for K-Meleon? Where would I find it?

Thanks.

Leo
January 28, 2005 11:10PM
Hi malcreant,

> How is K-Meleon an example? Is there a StrokeIt plugin for
> K-Meleon? Where would I find it?

K-Meleon is a browser and you already have the plugin if you download StrokeIt.

Play a little bit with it or go on my site I have two links for Firefox so far :).

with best regards

Leo

malcreant
January 29, 2005 03:03PM
Leo,

The K-Meleon configuration was installed with StrokeIt but every command has a red question mark next to it.

Is there supposed to be a dll in the plugins directory for K-Meleon? If so, it's not there.

Thanks,
Mark
Leo
January 29, 2005 08:52PM
Hi malcreant,

This is for KMeleon only !

with best regards

Leo
Attachments:
open | download - KMeleon.zip (2.6 KB)
malcreant
January 31, 2005 01:59PM
Thanks Leo. Just figured out you were THE Leo. ;-)

Any idea why the KMeleon plugin wasn't installed automatically? I have the latest version of StrokeIt.

I'm also missing default.lng and the strings/kmeleon directory. I created a default.lng by copying another lng file to see what would happen. I can now see the commands in the command editor but, of course, the strings are whacked.

It's not a big deal since I won't be using KMeleon but I was wondering if I screwed something up or if the StrokeIt install messed up.
Leo
January 31, 2005 06:28PM
Hi malcreant,

Please look at attached picture. It is in the installation script ! But you can deselect it.

with best regards

Leo
Attachments:
open | download - StrokeIt_Installation.zip (10.1 KB)
malcreant
January 31, 2005 09:09PM
Aaah... Thank you much. I completely missed it during the install because I had no idea what KMeleon was at that time. Compounding my confusion was the fact that the KMeleon actions were installed by default.

It's probably too much effort but it would be less confusing for new users if the install didn't set up actions for plugins that haven't been installed. A blurb in the help file about the red question marks would also help clear things up very quickly.

Thanks for your help.
Abbet
April 11, 2005 08:08PM
hey malcreant have to tried the "super drag and go" plugin for firefox. You just grap the link and drop it on any blank spot and it opens in a new tab, just as fast a a gesture and you don't have to waste a quick gesture.

abbet
vorchatwo
April 26, 2005 09:48PM
If all you want is to open a link with a gesture you can make this action:

Send keystroke - [SHIFT_DOWN]
Utilities - Delay 2000
Send keystroke - [SHIFT_DOWN]

Just make your stroke and then click the link, it will open the link in a new page, but will bring the focus back to the page you were on so you can keep opening more links if you want. You can chang the last part, I think I read some where in here, with the Windows - Activate Window command in strokeit so the focus is on the one you opened and doesnt go back to the one you were on.

This gives you 2 seconds to click the link. Or whatever you want to set it to.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Attachments:
  • Valid attachments: zip, sxp, cfg
  • No file can be larger than 128 KB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 512 KB
  • 4 more file(s) can be attached to this message

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 24 plus 9?