Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Make Your own Symbols

Posted by Overboardkiller 
Overboardkiller
Make Your own Symbols
December 19, 2001 01:36AM
<HTML>the program would be mad if u could do your own symbols. Like have a test area and the the computer shows what u drew and u say ok or not.</HTML>
Jeff
Re: Make Your own Symbols
December 19, 2001 01:38AM
<HTML>You can. Check out the learning mode.

-- Jeff</HTML>
Overboardkiller
December 19, 2001 01:40AM
<HTML>does it show u what the symbol looks like ?</HTML>
Overboardkiller
December 19, 2001 01:41AM
<HTML>ok it does but it does not clean it up. does the symbol be exactly the same ?</HTML>
Overboardkiller
December 19, 2001 01:46AM
<HTML>@!#$ i just stuffed up the K symbol
lol how do i put it back ??? it does not ask if u want to replace it or anything</HTML>
andy baker
December 19, 2001 03:42AM
<HTML>What I would like to know is how much latitude does StrokeIt have in interpreting symbols and how it does it's recognition.

The 3d Studio Max gesture plugin was bsaed on a 3x3 grid normalised to match the size of your gesture. Knowing this gave you some feel for how what you drew would be interpreted.

Is StrokeIt able to remember variations of the same gesture or do you lose the original if you do a 'learn' on an existing gesture?

Any more info would be very helpful from a user's perspective.</HTML>
Jeff
December 19, 2001 04:11AM
<HTML>For practical considerations, you can pretend that you're drawing on a grid similar to what you described (normalized 3x3 grid). In reality, it's a lot more complex and considerably more accurate.

StrokeIt is designed to intelligently learn variations of the original. As such, anytime you teach it a new variation of an existing symbol, it will be analyzed and added to that symbol's recognition algorithm. The more you teach it, the better it is at learning commands.

Creating the entire symbol library took me around 10 minutes. Simple gestures like "C", "L", "U", only required 1 accurate recognion. More complicated gestures like "B", "R", and "Q", took 20-30 recognitions before it could accurately recognize most acceptable variations.

-- Jeff</HTML>
andy baker
December 20, 2001 04:58AM
<HTML>So (and this ties in with a post of mine elsewhere) the more you redefine existing gestures the better it gets at recognising them?

What happens if you add a real skewed variation to an existing symbol? Can it get any worse at recognising sensible versions?</HTML>
Jeff
December 20, 2001 06:52AM
<HTML>Yes, the more you teach it, the better it is at recognizing that symbol in the future.

If you add a skewed variation, it will not get any worse at recognizing sensible versions. It will just recognized the skewed symbol as a new way of drawing the existing symbol. You can us this to "overload" symbols (although there's really no sensible reason for doing this unless it really is just another variation of the same symbol). The "Y" symbol is overloaded in this way to recognize "y" with a tail going straight down (closer to a grade-school drawing of a 4), the tail going diagonally (as a "y" does in this font - assuming you're viewing with times new roman), as well as a fancier y with a tail that goes straight down and then curls left.</HTML>
Jack
August 14, 2002 11:43AM
<HTML>Check out www.symbolcommander.com -- the original gesture program. The Pro version allows you to create your own symbols -- and see them.</HTML>
bhai
January 13, 2003 01:07PM
<HTML>just why jack u act like jacka$$ , seriously ???</HTML>
Georg
March 16, 2003 08:36AM
Hi Jeff,

you wrote:
"anytime you teach it a new variation of an existing symbol, it will be analyzed and added to that symbol's recognition algorithm."

I tried this, but nothing changed in "...\Gestures\strokes.bin".

Is there another place, where recognition information is stored?

Regards, Georg

Chua Wen Ching
June 28, 2003 11:28AM
Hi there.

Author: Jeff (---.247.156.183.kzo.mi.chartermi.net)
Date: 12-19-01 02:38

You can. Check out the learning mode.

-- Jeff

--> Where is the learning mode? I had checked out the tutorials? I can't find the section that i can create my own gestures?

Any help?

Thanks.

Regards,
Chua Wen Ching :p
Jeff
June 28, 2003 07:08PM
In the menu: Edit | Learn Gestures or using the keyboard Ctrl+L

-- Jeff
Chua Wen Ching
June 29, 2003 05:39AM
Thanks Jeff.

Anyway are you the only one maintain this forum?

Regards,
Chua Wen Ching :p
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 21 plus 10?