Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Password protection for StrokeIt

Posted by Kaido 
Kaido
Password protection for StrokeIt
February 07, 2006 10:42AM
I'd like to see some sort of password protection for StrokeIt. As it is now, you can just double-click the mouse icon in the system tray and it opens up all of your actions and commands. If you have multiple email login passwords like I do, it'd be a great feature to have StrokeIt ask you to input a password before opening itself for editing. Thank you and keep up the excellent work, I love StrokeIt!
Rose Vines
Re: Password protection for StrokeIt
March 14, 2006 04:56PM
I second this request. I'd like to use Strokeit to store actions for my credit card numbers, so I can automatically insert them into form fields online. To do that, I need to be able to password protect Strokeit itself or password protect access to particular actions and their settings.

Any chance of this?

Cheers,

Rose Vines
Stuart
March 15, 2006 05:07PM
Not exactly a fix, but at least a little bit of a help for now:

There is an option in Preferences so the StrokeIt icon does not appear in the taskbar -

Edit -> Preferences -> 'General' tab -> 'Show StrokeIt icon in the system tray'

Uncheck this and your details are a bit more private. Especially if you install/hide Strokeit deep in the bowels of an unrelated folder group.

There's also the option of running it from a flash drive or CD (see
[url=http://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/forum/read.php?f=3&i=2190&t=2111]Running StrokeIt from a removable drive[/url]), which works perfectly well.

Kaido
March 15, 2006 07:32PM
Well, one of the problems with hiding the StrokeIt icon is that you lose the ability to disable it. I like being able to disable it for certain programs and games. Also, I don't want to have to stick in my memory card every time I want to use StrokeIt (you know, the hassle of pulling it out of my pocket, off my keychain, and putting it in my computer, lol). Besides, if a hacker got into my computer or something had physical access to my computer, I wouldn't want them to be able to pop open the unencrypted file and go through it. So it looks like we need the following for good security:

1. Password-protection for editing commands (when you click on the icon in the system tray)
2. Encrypted data file (so you can't manually open the file of stored commands)

I think that'd be just great; I really love StrokeIt, it's really sped up my workflow.
Stuart
March 17, 2006 05:19PM
Just for your info (and convenience!) there is an option in the StrokeIt main window for each app:

"Disable gestures in this application"

Then you won't have to disable Strokeit every time in that game or program.

caleuche
April 24, 2007 03:18PM
Even if you cant password protect the strokeit, it would be good that the command "Keys - Password" pass cant be moved from one app to another. Meaning, if I configure the strokeit to send my password to a specific window, in which it looks like ***** is allright, but nowadays I could move this action from one application to another, in which it looks like text, so my password would be almost public.
Besides, thanks for this excelent program :D
Amitabh
August 19, 2007 07:40PM
Also, if you want to disable strokeit, press CTRL. Its not the perfect solution but it possibly helps if you disable the icon.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 25 plus 8?