Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Keys in staed of mousebutton

Posted by John S 
John S
Keys in staed of mousebutton
April 30, 2005 03:23PM
Hi I,ve seen that quite some people requested the use of a custom key as an alternative for a right or left mouseclick and in all the threads I read about it, the comment always is that there is absolutely no use for it since you would want to use the mouse and not the keyboard. And this would actually be true if nobody wuld suffer from RSI. I'm having trouble with my mouse arm for about a year now and am looking for alternatives to keep away from hours of mouseclicking. One of those is using a lot of shortcuts in the lower part of the keyboard (not the stupid alt+ control+ shift+ whatever, which would give me more RSI trouble) using a script. The other one woulld be using a glidepad ,like I have on my laptop to relieve my arm. Having to click one of the mousebuttons would not help much . I tried to emulate the mouseclick with the scripting software but this doesn't work (Strokeit needs the real interrupt, I guess)
ANother reason would be that on my laptop using the right button hurts a lot and the left button is always used to Click-select a string to delete or copy, so this generates a lot of mistakes
It would be great if you could implement using the Fn, Win,Ctrl,or Alt button as an alternative
Scott
Re: Keys in staed of mousebutton
April 30, 2005 04:44PM
If you'd read the rest of the searches, you would also see that there are no plans to implement this.
John S
May 01, 2005 02:32PM
i've senn this or a similar answer (search the forum) from you dozens of times when I did the searches. Do you have any other answers in your vocabulary?? You are giving this answer to everybody but I've never seen a really good reason not to implement it,
Scott
May 01, 2005 04:05PM
I give that answer out so maybe people will such instead of asking the same questions over and over again.

There are currently no plans to implement the feature that you're requesting.
John S
May 02, 2005 02:21PM
maybe you can help me anyway. I've made a macro with autohotkey that simulates a right mousebutton press and release, just as a real mouse click. In every other windows application it reacts just like the real thing (for instance with context menus the menu pops up when I release the mouse. But with strokeit it doesn't work. just being present blocks the ability to use stokeit If e rightclick my moese stroke it doesn't work anymore. Any ideas?
Scott
May 02, 2005 06:09PM
Nope. I don't use autohotkey.
nik
May 03, 2005 12:35PM
there is another program called powerpro which does hav some(very limited) gestures. but it does hav the option to hold some other key instead of a mouse key. beware though powerpro is very very powerful and confusing for beginners.

Also john post your script. i'll c if i can improve it
Griff
May 08, 2005 04:03AM
I've used aautohotkey and the following code works to use the left windows key instead of right clicking.

$LWin::
MouseClick, R,,,,,D
keywait,LWin, U
MouseClick, R,,,,,U
return

btw, this has only been tested on my one computer with winXP and I seem to be having trouble getting it to work with the Ctrl key, simply replacing Win with Ctrl doesn't work, like you say it just does a normal right click and doesn't activate strokeit.
adnap
May 09, 2005 01:34AM
You want to use some keyboard-shortcut program to simulate right mouse-click, to use StrokeIt to perform some scripts. That's crazy :))). Perhaps you should learn PowerPro that nik mentioned and you would't have to use StrokeIt.

John S: The answer that Scott is not repeating every time this question is asked is that alternative keys will not be implemented because StrokeIt is made to use with mouse and with mouse ONLY. Implementing alt. keys would "kill the purpose". There's no need for keyboard. And for those who would now note that you can press CTRL or whatever to temporarily disable StrokeIt: yes, to DISABLE it (and so, not to use it).

Btw. RSI means REPETITIVE strain injury. Therefore you won't get better until you "heal" that by not moving your fingers/hands. So take a long rest. That will help. I had the same problem years ago. I rested a while, didn't go near a computer and no problem since then even using computer 8-16h/day
A User
June 06, 2005 11:30PM
I agree that it might be nice to have something besides one of the mouse buttons to activate a gesture.

I'm wondering if it's aimed only at mice or if other pointing devices fit into the target design for StrokeIt. Yes, I did read the forums that StrokeIt is designed for mice.

A friend recently told me that notebook computers are now outselling desktop computers for the first time in history. Seems like catering StrokeIt to alternate pointing devices such as TouchPads wouldn't be a bad move considering the recent sales trends.

It's very difficult to perform gestures with TouchPads because they require doing things such as bending one thumb underneath while making the gesture with a finger, or moving BOTH hands down to the pad (one to click and one to gesture).

Seems like it wouldn't be so bad to hold Shift with the pinky of one hand while gesturing with the thumb or finger on the other hand. But maybe this is beyond the scope still and I'll just have to carry a mouse with me everywhere to use this great program.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 20 plus 3?