Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

"Exit Program" Command

Posted by Bako Bitz 
Bako Bitz
"Exit Program" Command
March 23, 2005 01:45AM
It would be great to have a command to exit a specific application or process, just like the 'Run Program' command does to launch one. While it would be useful (to me, anyway) for regular applications here and there, it would also be great for closing background processes without having to Ctrl-Alt-Del and close them from the task manager. Best of all, it would allow one not only to launch a group of applications with a single gesture (which I do now, and love), but then also to close them just as easily.

Thanks,
Bako
Bako
Re: "Exit Program" Command
March 27, 2005 03:43PM
It just occurred to me that if I could get the 'activate window' command to work (not much luck so far) then one could do a work around to this command by activating the window and sending it an Alt+F4 to exit. Has anyone done this successfully?

The down side is this wouldn't work for background processes, which was my primary considerating in making this request. Ahh well, perhaps I'll learn programming!

Bako
nik
March 31, 2005 12:29AM
use
winactivate and check wait for window
send -alt +f4

OR

run- task manager
winactivate
type the keys for the process
this wld select the desired process. now use apps to close it.
CaptnBlack
March 31, 2005 05:47AM
You can try " WinMsg - Send Message " using the " Message ID: WM_CLOSE " command.
The WParam value is " 0x10 ".
Just leave the LParam blank.

If you use "Send Message To - Window By Class Name" if it works it should close the window even if it's in the background.
However it might not work with some programs, you'll just have to try it and see.
Bako
April 04, 2005 10:28AM
Well, I found the 'WinMsg - Sent Message' command worked surprisingly well, when using 'Window Title' as identification. This is clearly the best way to go for closing normal windows.

The only problem is that, of course, it can't close processes that run in the background. Even one of the applications I closed in my initial test run doesn't really close -- it just retreats to the task-tray. Other processes don't even show up there and can only be found through the Task Manager.

Would it be difficult to make a plug-in to turn off any active process? It seems like all the tools are there, it's just a matter of putting them together. If anyone who is familiar with the plug-in scripting process could comment, I'd appreciate it -- it seems like something that could be done in an hour -- but I don't want to spend time learning the script if there is some issue that would make it beyond the abilities of a beginner.

Thanks,
Bako
CaptnBlack
April 10, 2005 03:00PM
Bako wrote:

>
> The only problem is that, of course, it can't close processes
> that run in the background. Even one of the applications I
> closed in my initial test run doesn't really close -- it just
> retreats to the task-tray. Other processes don't even show up
> there and can only be found through the Task Manager.
>

I believe it can kill some of them.
You could try "Winspector Spy" to find the background windows, it shows windows from all running processes, including the "hidden" windows.
It also can show all the commands sent to windows.
It's free also.

Here's a link to the Winspector homepage: [url=http://www.windows-spy.com/]http://www.windows-spy.com/[/url]

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 14 plus 11?