Contact Us

StrokeIt

popup gesture navigator

Posted by maxim 
maxim
popup gesture navigator
April 10, 2004 05:09PM
Didn't find this mentioned before:

When I click down the right mouse button it would be very helpfull to see (as long as mouse isn't moving) a navigation icon/graphic of the most common currently active gesture commands. About like that:

....................copy
.....................|
............prev---- | ----next
................top ||| max
...................\|||/
......back-----------o--------------forward
.................../|||\
................min ||| bottom
............stop---- | ----go
.....................|
...................paste

(difficult to align that textgraphic). I hope you can get the idea. That would help remind commands in cases where different applications use different commands on same gestures.

maxim

maxim
Re: popup gesture navigator
April 13, 2004 04:12PM
I may refine my request:

I would propose that the graphic mentioned above could be the cursor shape itself. It changes during the action, and changes back at the end of the action (resp.: right mouse down - right mouse up).

To allow the user to define his own cursor shape graphics, every application stores, additionally to the gestures, a reference to a user defined graphic icon that contains his cursor shape for that application.

How such a info cursor could look like could be seen here:
[url=http://www.nefkom.net/z-bau/celestia/graphics/StrokeIt-Cursor.png]http://www.nefkom.net/z-bau/celestia/graphics/StrokeIt-Cursor.png[/url]
Scott
April 13, 2004 04:19PM
What happens when you have more complex gestures?
maxim
April 14, 2004 03:10AM
Well,
the info cursor should only act as a reminder for the most common gestures, where the same gestures differ in meaning from application to application.

Because it is only a graphic icon the user defines himself, he can decide if he wants/is-able-to create a more complex graphic that contains more simultaneous information without puzzling the user. Good designs then could act as template for other users to be copied.

maxim
Jordan
April 14, 2004 10:20AM
I am afraid that so many letters on the screen may be annoying, since they look so big.

Since I use StrokeIt so heavily that I draw hundreds of strokes a day. The most frequently used guestures should be remembered, after stroking for several times. And the pop-up message might be distractible when you are concentrated at your work and unconsciously drawing your guestures.
maxim
April 14, 2004 01:07PM
I'm sure when used for quite a long time you won't need that reminder anymore - so a checkbox in the settings to switch this feature on/off should be part of an implementation. Another approach may be, that as long as the user doesn't define a cursor shape for a certain application, nothing happens.

On the other hand, when you add a new application to StrokeIt, you may be puzzled in the first time of what gestures lauches what command - so it will be helpfull in this case.

For the size and the text: It would be up to the user what he want's to see in his info cursor. The linked example above was just a 5 min work with ms-paint and small fonts set to 7 pt to illustrate the idea - and it showed quite small on my 19" display. I'm sure one can do a much better job with some more effort.

maxim
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 3 plus 6?