Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Globally Mirror / Rotate Axis of Gestures

Posted by Doye Steven Youngblood 
Doye Steven Youngblood
Globally Mirror / Rotate Axis of Gestures
February 11, 2004 12:39AM
After getting a touch of repetitve strain injury I have been using a system tray application to switch the mouse from normal right handed to left handed several times daily to spread the damage around. (The touchpad software removes the ability to do so from the control panel) One thing I noticed Immediately after switching to left handed orientation was that it seemed a little more natural to mirror the gestures (reverse left and right) at first, just like it seemed more natural to use the right mouse button for the single click. Is there a way to quickly flip the gestures around the horizontal axis? I've searched the forums for reverse, mirror, and left handed, but haven't found anywhere this is addressed. It has occoured to me that people who use monitors that can be changed from landscape to portrait mode could use a feature to rotate the input orientation as well. It seems the configuration for the gestures allows for mirroring and rotation, so modifying the strokes.bin file and / or exporting the gestures and re-importing them after modifying them would work, but being able to flip / rotate the input orientation on the fly would be ideal. Thanks

Jeff
Re: Globally Mirror / Rotate Axis of Gestures
February 11, 2004 10:29AM
Hi. Doye,

For starters, as a fellow RSI sufferer, let me warn you that using a mouse can be one of worst things that you could to for RSI, so make sure you have a very comfortable mouse and that you use your arm to move it rather than swinging your wrist around. I also *highly* recommend looking into the Dvorak keyboard layout - it takes awhile to relearn, but it's helped my RSI considerably.

I don't think adding a "mirror" all gestures command is likely to make it into the program, unless other people see this thread and begin to clamor about it. However, I think it would be relatively easy to do. As you've mentioned, the strokes.bin file supports transposing existing gestures, so there are a few things you could do.

The easiest method would be to just create a "mirrored" version of any gesture you want to use and assign both gestures to the command. If you're currently both the original and the mirrored versions of a command for different purposes, you could run into trouble.

To create a mirrored gesture without needing to retrain StrokeIt, you'll have to exit StrokeIt and then edit the strokes.bin. There are several command modifiers for changing existing gestures:

! = Reverse Gesture
- = Horizontal Mirror
|| = Vertical Mirror
1 = Rotate Clockwise 90 Degrees
2 = Rotate Clockwise 180 Degrees
3 = Rotate Clockwise 270 Degrees

Have a look at the comamnds E, M, and W to see how one gesture can be flipped around.

Good luck,

Jeff
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 23 plus 8?