Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Writing multiple letters

Posted by MystD 
MystD
Writing multiple letters
October 19, 2003 03:20AM
I start Word with W, but why not start it witch W O or W O R D. The problem now is, that u can't do it with space between the letters. Would be nice If u could assign a button for that purpose. I would like to use that function to write in Hiragana & Katakana (Japanese) to open software. Also why just choose left middle and right mouse button, would be nicer if u could choose every key available. I have a Logitech MX 300 and it has a spare button, I would like to use that one. And others perhaps want to press a Keyboard button.

Hope u like my ideas. I really would like to use those functions in the next version.
Jordan
Re: Writing multiple letters
October 20, 2003 07:32PM
I think that a simple guesture is better than a complicate one, since it saves your hands movement. Multiple-letters guestures are somewhat hard to draw and also tough to recognize, though easy to remember.

Personally I recommend you place a shortcut into the quick launch bar rather than trying to perform such a complicate guesture. The distance you moved and the efforts you used to draw the guesture can be several times than clicking the shortcut in the quick launch bar.
Jordan
October 20, 2003 07:36PM
Hmm, being able to use any spare button could be very nice. I love this feature. Btw, you can define to use the middle button to draw guestures.

Goto strokeit's GUI, and click the menu "edit", select "Preferences" command, and you can find "perform guestures by holding ...". However, i can never draw guestures with the left button, maybe that's a bug. But the middle button works as fine as the default right button.
MystD
October 23, 2003 06:44AM
But with a touchscreen our drawing board, it would be still fast. And its just fun to draw those gestures ;) Would be cool if this function would be implemented in source of the OS in the future. But I'd prefer it for linux.
Jordan
October 25, 2003 03:29AM
Yep, with touchscreen or drawing board, drawing guestures becomes much easier. And i am considering whether I should buy one....

Nevertheless, i am afraid that Jeff would have a tough time to implement such a handwriting recognizable thing since recognizing several characters at a time can get much more complicated than one at a time. ^_^
Sango
October 28, 2003 03:17PM
I think it not so hard to implentate such a function. It's only need a kind of 'Record-Mode' and a gesture to begin and end the record. Or strokeit make the begin and end automatic when a macro with such a combine-gesture ist starting and ending.
Jeff
October 28, 2003 06:57PM
StrokeIt is designed to be really, really good at recognizing single symbols. As such, I don't have any plans to support strings.

However, if you want to use a string of symbols, you don't really need it to be built in. You can create a plugin, or use a macro utility to use StrokeIt's ability to recognize single symbols, and simply buffer them until you have the string you want.

For example, you could define an Application in StrokeIt that would simply have every gesture set to send a command to a 3rd party macro utility (or an app you've written yourself). Drawing a "W" would simply send "W" to your application, which would do nothing but remember that a "W" has been drawn. Then you could draw a "O", which would also be passed on to your app, and so on until your application recognizes that you've written "WORD" and launches it for you.

-- Jeff
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 1 plus 9?