Contact Us

StrokeIt

Usability

Posted by Dennis 
Dennis
Usability
April 15, 2002 11:41AM
<HTML>Hey Jeffyboy,

The Forum and the development stands kind of still ;) YOu should just fix the little bug in the beta version, which eats your backslashes cuz so I had to switch back to the old version 8a. However here are my ideas for improving usability:
<br /> (i don't know if html works here damn)
For first time userers and non geeks stroke it might seem a little bit confusing. I gave it to my buddy and well he didn't know what to do and just played around with the "drawing tool" on the desktop. I think it would be nice if you include a Help and a complete one. Hmm if I think about it.... nah maybe just some help on the webpage, but better explanations in the menus... Yeah! What about making a wizard thats really not hard to do and helps out a lot. So that the user can add new commands or something simply by clicking on new and the wizard pops up with the complete procedure. You should still be able to do it manually, cuz like me and other I guess don't like wizards, but first time users just love it.
<br><br>
There I come to my second point "clicking on new" as I said before. I think it would be really nice to have some icons on top of the program like in other programs. Like a symbolbar, so that the people who dont like bars can delete it. In it should be a symbol for "Add program, add new gesture, add command, simply new (for the wizards), help, learn gestures and of cource preferences with the two little gears as a symbol :) I had symbol ideas too, but I'm at work right now and dont have my photoshop here, so I'll do that later if you want me to.

Tell me what you think of my ideas.

Farewell and so long
Dennis</HTML>
Jeff
Re: Usability
April 15, 2002 12:49PM
<HTML>Dennis,

There's more holding up the next release than just the backslashes. While it works very, very well on most systems, there seem to be serious problems with win98 and logitech drivers. Basically, Logitech uses some pretty bad hacks within their drivers and even trying to observe certain events will cause their software to crash.

The wizard and toolbars are both scheduled features. I'm bad at writing docs, so I haven't gotten around to that yet, but I hope, someday, to have a good tutorial with ample screenshots available online.

-- Jeff</HTML>
Dennis
April 15, 2002 02:25PM
<HTML>If you want me to I can write you a help, tutorial or whatsoever so you can focus on the logitech driver issues. Here I don't have the oppertunity to test Logitech drivers since I use stupid compaq here unfortunately :)

I have to say that I really <b>love</b> you program, the idea itself is pretty old but your implementation is just beautiful as you may hear in the Congratulations Topic ;) IMHO this feature should be included into every operating system hardcoded, but hence <s>Microsoft</s> would mess it up, lets stick with a program. I can't live without it anymore and once you understand the program (which might be hard for beginners as I stated already) you work really faster with it. For me for example a simple middle-mouse button drag to the right saves the document, how easy! I think the program should be made more public whenever you finish the wizard, toolbar etc. I'll start writing a documentation ASAP if you like it, include it if not: garbage.
Maybe I can even support you with icons for the toolbar, let's see what I can do.

Delightfully
<i>Dennis</i>
<b />
-----------------
Till now I could use a different way of saying cya eveyr message, I think I gotta switch to different languages soon</HTML>
Jeff
April 17, 2002 03:42AM
<HTML>Dennis,

I'm looking forward to seeing what you can come up with :)

Thanks,

Jeff</HTML>
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 20 plus 19?