Contact Us

StrokeIt

Hold down shift..

Posted by XiaoDai 
XiaoDai
Hold down shift..
January 04, 2002 12:36AM
<HTML>Hold down shift to activate mouse gesture recognition

hold down shift to perform a different action to when shift is not held down</HTML>
Dennis
Re: Hold down shift..
January 04, 2002 04:16PM
<HTML>I bet everybody want another key to activate, if not the mouse... Maybe change the reqest to make some keys available like CTRL, SHIFT, WIN, PAUSE or whatever.... I wouldn't prefer keys at all, because you do the gestures with the mouse not with the keyboard. Well I would understand if you really want the right mouse button and don't have a middle key or so.

Liquid Greetings U> (tried to make a beer cup)
Dennis</HTML>
Ceriwaen
April 22, 2002 05:20PM
<HTML>I myself am a big fan of MUDs and have always used alternate keys to design my macros. I think allowing CTRL, ALT, SHIFT, etc. would make StrokeIt that much more powerful, allowing so many more gestures that would be really easy to integrate into my action scheme.</HTML>
Tetrad
June 01, 2002 04:38PM
<HTML>Yes but since those three keys (ctrl-alt-shift) generally are hold-to-use keys, how would you know whether you wanted to shift for capital letters, or alt for copy shortcut, or ctrl for copy? Not move the mouse for X milliseconds?</HTML>
Ceriwaen
June 05, 2002 11:33PM
<HTML>No, use it similar to the windows explorer shift-click for copying or moving files, except that it would register with strokeit instead. Say, for example, you use Opera as your primary browser (which I do) and choose the single windows workspace. I have the up-right gesture used for maximize, but it only maximizes the parent window, not the window inside the program. If I wanted to just maximize the child window, I could hold shift and then complete the up-right gesture, and strokeit would recognize that as a different command (namely, maximize child window). Options are always a good thing.

-Ceriwaen</HTML>
Dennis
June 06, 2002 09:09AM
<HTML>Actually I agree now, I get your point, even tho I think if you have a MOUSE gestures program, KEY-shortcuts are stupid. I love this program because I can seriously navigate with the mouse. With Keyshortcuts I could do it too. It's a thing of ergonomical working. And if I understood you right, the only thing you wanna do is to make the same gesture with a key, but then let StrokeIT do something different.
what about making two gestures? In your case up-right and for the child window maybe right-up. I know whatcha mean and more options are always good, even in my opinion, but using key-shortcuts with a mouse-gesture program is not that good ;) That's my two pennies

Indulge
Dennis</HTML>
Ceriwaen
June 08, 2002 08:33PM
<HTML>I suppose I was more accurately thinking of programs that have programmable hotkeys (like Winamp). I would like to be able to control winamp from within other programs, using a universal gesture definition (ex: ctrl+shift+mouse2+up for stop, ctrl+shift+mouse2+right for play, etc) that would not be program specific, but also would not overwrite the gestures of the current program (Opera, mainly). In retrospect, I suppose this usage is rather singular in the basis of the programs I use, but I still think it could be very helpful for other things, like using strokeit for gaming (Counter-strike, Unreal Tournament, etc) and cut-out some of the extra keystrokes necessary. Anyway, that's kinda what I meant *grin*

-Ceriwaen</HTML>
Dennis
Re
June 11, 2002 10:52PM
<HTML>Well talking about Winamp here, my faorite topic ;) Search in the forum for a recent post, cuz I had that question too, all you have to make is a global function and send messages to the winamp program (explained in that post). Well you gotta use different gestures then than ur opera ones i bet, but it works for me!

Gotta go
Dennis</HTML>
Ceriwaen
June 12, 2002 01:03AM
<HTML>That's my point exactly. I prefer to use logical gestures for my programs and group them together in a manner that is intuitive. As I've mentioned before, I am (was, really) a gamer, and the natural position for gaming is right hand on the mouse (trackball, in my case) and left hand on the left-most side of the keyboard (where using the ctrl, shift, & alt keys is relatively easy). To be more concise, in your reply, you said I would have to use different gestures than I do in Opera, and that is precisely what I wish to avoid *smile*

With the set of gestures already available, adding the functionality of those three keys (individually and collectively) would expand the possible gesture combinations exponentially.

-Ceriwaen</HTML>
Dennis
June 12, 2002 10:38PM
<HTML>Agreed... Jeff implent it somehow with free chooseable keys ;) I'm starting to like that idea.

Greetings from NYC
Dennis</HTML>
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 11 plus 25?