Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Autocompletion

Posted by Roger Foss 
Roger Foss
Autocompletion
January 03, 2002 05:34AM
<HTML>This program reminds me of FinishLine from way back when..
FinishLine would monitor your keystrokes, and pop up autocompletion suggestions above the cursor. There was a DOS and 16-bit Windows version, and I've been waiting for a 32-bit Windows version ever since.

The great thing about it was that it worked everywhere, not just on the command line but in every DOS and Windows program. It was also lean in terms of memory requirements. It was also -very- useful if you had to type in long path names or URLs..

If you could add Autocompletion to the next version of StrokeIt, my life would be complete.

In any case, congratulations with a Great Program!

Roger</HTML>
Jeff
Re: Autocompletion
January 03, 2002 05:57AM
<HTML>I looked up finishline (finishline.featureditems.com) and, in terms of functionality, I have no idea how StrokeIt would remind you of this. From a design standpoint, they have similarities (time-saving, global commands, low memory usage, etc) but functionally they are entirely different programs.

Adding keyboard autocomplete would essentially involve writing a completely different program from scratch, as it wouldn't benefit from any of the existing StrokeIt code or functionality.

Of course, if you just want some nice command line autocompletion, I'd recommend grabbing a nice port of BASH or TCSH. In addition, most *cough* web browsers already have URL autocompletion. If you don't need to intelligent or autocomplete, you could simply configure strokeit to send "MyUsername [tab] MyPassword" to automatically complete forms.

Sorry for being unable to otherwise complete your life :)

-- Jeff</HTML>
Roger Foss
Re: Autocompletion
January 03, 2002 06:16AM
<HTML>StrokeIt reminded me of FinishLine because they both make navigation and work in general faster - like you said, timesaving. And because StrokeIt has the potential to become something I can't do without :-)

I was looking for autocompletion not just on the command line or in the browser, but everywhere in Windows where there's an Edit or RichEdit control...</HTML>
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 13 plus 8?