Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Back-and-forth gestures

Posted by Elmo 
Elmo
Back-and-forth gestures
December 19, 2001 01:26PM
<HTML>Is it a side effect of your gesture recognition system that Strokeit can't recognize inline left-right or up-down gestures? I guess if it's based on a bitmap analysis that sort of thing might confuse it.

If there's a way you could add support for them, I think it would be worth the effort. Those gestures are the next simplest after straight lines, and are a lot easier to execute than curves or zigzags.</HTML>
Jeff
Re: Back-and-forth gestures
December 19, 2001 01:32PM
<HTML>You can add them yourself easily enough. Check out the learning mode.</HTML>
Elmo
December 19, 2001 03:06PM
<HTML>Yep. I just wasn't using learning mode properly, it's a little confusing.

I'd add those as stock gestures, they're quite handy. I've got left-right for undo, and right-left for redo.</HTML>
Jeff
December 19, 2001 03:52PM
<HTML>I'll probably add more simple gestures like that for the next release.

What did you find confusing about the learning mode? How would you suggest making it better?</HTML>
andy baker
December 20, 2001 04:55AM
<HTML>I'll second that!

Still not 100% sure what order to do things in.

Do I draw a gesture, click learn, then add new gesture?

Or do I add new gesture, draw it and then click learn?

Or is it learn, draw, new?

Nothing wrong with the way you have decided to do things, just that there is a lack of visual feedback to let you know if you have done things the right way or wrong way round...

Also too easy to overwrite existing gestures with your own wonky ones...</HTML>
Jeff
December 20, 2001 07:08AM
<HTML>To define a new symbol:

1) Go into learning mode. While in learning mode, StrokeIt will not exectute any commands, it will simply show you what, if anything, the symbols you draw are recognized as.

2) Draw a symbol. If strokeit recognizes the symbol, it will be be shown in the "recognized as" spot. If it's not, it will be listed as <Unrecognized Gesture>

3) You can tell strokeit what that symbol should be by selecting it from the "save as" list. If you don't want to modify the symbol, simply draw another one. StrokeIt will only learn the new symbol if you click "Learn".

You can't overwrite gestures, you can only add to them. And adding a symbol to an existing gesture involves drawing an unrecognized gesture, *selecting the existing gesture from the list*, and clicking "save as".</HTML>
Elmo
December 20, 2001 09:44AM
<HTML>First, It's not clear that just opening the Learning dialog box changes the behavior of Strokeit. Maybe just saying "Strokeit is now in Learning Mode", or having an activate/deactivate toggle would help.

>And adding a symbol to an existing gesture involves drawing an unrecognized gesture,
>*selecting the existing gesture from the list*, and clicking "save as".

That part is especially unclear. There's no visual indication of the "state" of the program that they're saving. I think I'd lose the review button, and instead always leave the just-drawn gesture on the screen. It would help people understand what exactly they're "saving" when they press the button.

I'm not sure about how to make the actual symbol->gesture association more clear. I think the "ultimate" interface would let you actually see all the symbols that are associated with a given gesture, and let you selectively add and remove them.

This would also help learning the builtin gestures, as currently you have to go to the web site and browse the predefined profiles to learn how to draw them.</HTML>
Elmo
December 20, 2001 09:51AM
<HTML>More thoughts:

Disable the "learn" button until an unrecognized gesture is drawn.

Also, move the learn button next to the save selector, or tie them together with some other visual clue, so that it's obvious you're learning that symbol _into the selected gesture_.</HTML>
Tetrad
December 23, 2001 05:01AM
<HTML>Sometimes you need to "learn" already known gestures. I was having a hard time getting strokeit to recognize my M's, so adding a few learning things helped a lot. I also suppose some people would rather draw some things differently than as it was built in (especially as there's no list that says what each one looks like).

Like for my P's, I find it more intuitive to go down/up/draw the loop than starting from the bottom.</HTML>
Ben Bardill
December 27, 2001 11:15PM
<HTML>"especially as there's no list that says what each one looks like"
Tetrad

I had the same thought, so I created <a href="http://www.suicidalweasel.com/~ben/strokeit/">http://www.suicidalweasel.com/~ben/strokeit/</a> listing each shape. Then Jeff told me about <a href="http://tcbmi.com/strokeit/actions.shtml?app=files/All%20Symbols.cfg">actions Symbols</a> that are hidden on this website.</HTML>
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 19 plus 11?