Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

why is a button required?

Posted by John Cason Swindle 
John Cason Swindle
why is a button required?
December 13, 2001 05:33AM
<HTML>StrokeIt looks pretty good (cute name, btw) but is there any way it could work without having to click a mouse button? I use a program called PopMouse by Pointix that's been abondonded for several years now. It only has 4 "glicks" as they call them but it's really useful for browser forward and backward actions using a circle gesture. I can't find any up-to-date mouse gesture program that doesn't require holding down a button to draw something. Does one exist? Could such functionality be added to StrokeIt?

maybe i'm just too lazy....</HTML>
Nathar Leichoz
Re: why is a button required?
July 15, 2003 04:46AM
I second this post. I also have used PopMouse in the past and I think it is faster than having to hold down the mouse button before moving it. I think it is mainly because when I am right-clicking, I am applying pressure downwards onto the mouse against the mouse pad which causes friction and makes the mouse harder to move. (Yes, I am THAT lazy...) Maybe such an option could be made only to infrequent gestures with a time limit to avoid false positives. But anyway this is just an idea.

pi
July 16, 2003 02:36AM
powerpro has many mouse gestures:
[url=http://www.windowspowerpro.com]http://www.windowspowerpro.com[/url]
Graham
September 02, 2003 09:30AM
I think there are two problems with this:

1. Actions could be accidentally initiated, by the normal movements of the mouse.

2. Gestures would be confused. For example, someone attempting a 'W' would have a 'V' action initiated halfway through.

Any thoughts?
Borgtex
September 02, 2003 02:15PM
I agree with Graham. I stopped using PopMouse and similar utilities due to the accidentally initiated actions (I usually play with the mouse around the screen when I'm thinking).

Also I feel more confortable with the idea of pushing something to do something else... it's more like a direct order :)
Nathar Leichoz
October 10, 2003 06:34PM
I somewhat agree that buttonless mouse gestures could be accidentally generated. Here's how PopMouse solved the two problems Graham brought up:

1. PopMouse used a stricter criteria to determine whether the action was accidental or not. For the gesture "O", it had to be a minimum size and a minimum curvature. So I couldn't draw small circles nor extremely stretched ovals. It also had a time limit so I had to draw them relatively fast.

2. PopMouse only supported 4 gestures; clockwise O, anti-clockwise O, right-first wiggle and left-first wiggle. There weren't any confusions in these gestures.

I personally only used the "O" gestures to go back and forward on the browser so the risks of accidentally performing a gesture are small. I could always swing the mouse back to reverse the action!

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.