Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Open in a New Window - action?

Posted by zambini 
zambini
Open in a New Window - action?
December 19, 2001 12:38AM
<HTML>In Opera you can perform an "I" with the mouse pointer hovering over a URL to open that link in a new window. Any way to configure StrokeIt to do this action withen IE?</HTML>
Jeff
Re: Open in a New Window - action?
December 19, 2001 01:38AM
<HTML>Nope. That would require specific StrokeIt support within the application. It would have to know where the stroke started, and then check if that point was a link, then it could just call its usual open link in new window routine.

If a company wanted to include this type of support in their application, they'd simply have to license a registed plugin, which would then give them access to all the data necessary to do something like this.

-- Jeff</HTML>
zambini
December 19, 2001 02:40PM
<HTML>Alternative:

Right-click
Send keystroke "N"

This will perform the desired request to open the hovered URL in a new window. The only problem is how do I tell StrokeIt to perform a right-click?</HTML>
Jeff
December 19, 2001 03:50PM
<HTML>You don't. Once again, that would require knowing where the gesture started.

Yes, it would be really easy for me to add this ability. However, I would like to make some money off of this project somehow. Right now, my plan is to make StrokeIt freely availably to anyone using it for personal purposes, charge a little bit for anyone using it for commercial purposes, and then license the technology (through registered plugins) to companies looking to add gesture support to their own applications. If I were to add the support for workarounds like right clicking on a specific location, it would pretty much eliminate a companies need to purchase a plugin.

Alternatively, I could create a "pro" version of StrokeIt, which would include workarounds like that, so you could artifically support programs like IE that would benefit from enhanced gesture support.

What do you think?

-- Jeff</HTML>
zambini
December 19, 2001 07:19PM
<HTML>It would be good to have added functionality to send a right click or double click macro to a program. It would also be nice to make money for developing the software to do this. I completely understand but lets be realistic. Three donations so far is not gonna pay the bills nor feed the kids. I can't imagine developers banging down the door to pay for a license either. My suggestion:

1. Make it splash screen nagware with no time-out. You want people to continue using it legitimately or not. Name recognition.

2. Keep registration cheap as in $5 for users and $50-500 for a corporate site license. Make it fast and simple to register.

3. Don't split up the program. Everyone will just pirate the "Pro" version.

4. No spyware. Don't piss people off.

5. Update often. Search for pirate serial numbers and routinely block them from newer versions.

6. Keep the code base small. Everyone hates bloat. Everyone loves small utilities.

This software is so niche, don't quit your day job and don't expect to break even. Do it for fun, experience and for a tax write off. Good luck.</HTML>
Dennis
December 26, 2001 11:02PM
<HTML>Nothing to add... I agree!
Against piracy the guys from Whereisit (a medium manager) found a cool way recently. They put in their searchengine, if ou use illegal serial #'s instead of the filename "WAREZ" i think that looks pretty cool
I even heardd from people that there was a nagscreen " You use illegal software " and the compiuter rebooted immidiately. I think thats kinda cool...

neways! Keep up your work.
Dennis</HTML>
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 25 plus 8?