Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Problem with 'Minimize' command on Win7

Posted by Chris 
Chris
Problem with 'Minimize' command on Win7
May 03, 2011 09:32AM
I've been using StrokeIt for years on XP, and just recently moved up to a Win7 64bit machine. One of the first things I did was install the latest version of StrokeIt, but now I've run into a problem and can't seem to find a solution anywhere.

If I accidentally run the 'minimize' command without an application window in focus (ex: I accidentally make the gesture right on the desktop), all icons on my desktop are 'minimized' to a small, white rectangular box in the corner of the screen. If I double click on this box, the icons are restored. If I make any other click anywhere else, the box disappears, and I can't find a way to get my desktop icons back. The desktop content is still there and viewable in Explorer, but not on the desktop. Right-clicking is also disabled on the desktop, so it's not as simple as choosing to 'show desktop icons'.

Restarting the computer is the only way I have been able to restore the desktop.

My 'minimize' command in StrokeIt is set to 'Windows - Minimize'. I can only make this happen with StrokeIt - it does not happen if I use the Win7 minimize keystroke (ALT+SPACE+N) on my desktop.

Any ideas on what I'm missing?
Re: Problem with 'Minimize' command on Win7
May 03, 2011 01:26PM
I've experienced the same. Workaround: create an app that identifies the desktop (if you haven't done so yet) and override the gesture that minimizes by default to do nothing (or something useful).
Chris
May 03, 2011 02:54PM
Thanks gemisigo - the workaround is perfect (not sure why I didn't think of that!). Still curious as to what was actually happening, but as long as I have a workaround, I guess it doesn't matter...
May 29, 2011 01:45PM
Hah!! Ive used stroke it well over a year and every now and then this would happen. The little rectangle in the upper left corner of the screen and the icons hidden. Trial and error I realized that double clicking on the rectangle brought them back, but I never could figure out how they got in that state! Now thanks to you guys I know! This is much quicker than right clicking the desktop, going to view and checking hide icons when I want a clean desktop lol. Thanks!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 12 plus 18?