Donate

Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Why isn't StrokeIt more popular?

Posted by Wesley 
Re: Why isn't StrokeIt more popular?
April 26, 2011 01:54AM
Yes, it is. All you have to do is to restart the script.
April 28, 2011 05:46PM
Right; and you don't even need to reload the script if you just make context-sensitive hotkeys. That is, you could use a special key combination that changes what certain other keys do, and revert it by pressing the same combination again. Or you could create a hotkey that does different things depending on what program is active, etc. etc. Possibilities are endless. Most of this is pretty easy to do. Making a key combination that changes temporarily what other keys do, as above, is a bit more complicated; here is a shameless link to a page where I have explained how to do it:

http://superuser.com/questions/224411/a-few-questions-about-advanced-autohotkey-uses/224475#224475

P.S. Gemisigo, are you on stackexchange.com? I think it might be just the kind of site you like, with lots and lots of subsites about various subjects, from programming to cooking to English grammar... Superuser.com is just one of those subsites, which all work the same.
April 29, 2011 02:14AM
Actually I am :) I posted a few questions on stackoverflow and superuser. I used to check it regularly but I haven't been there recently. Thanks for reminding me.
May 02, 2011 07:32AM
Ah I am not surprised!
September 28, 2012 08:31AM
Autohotkey has also become one of my addictions.
September 28, 2012 08:55AM
Very well ;)
Dean Collins
October 02, 2012 04:22PM
I just found this website today as i've been a huge fan of sensiva symbole commander but i doesnt seem to be working in Windows 7 properly (i only just upgraded this week).

Sensiva seems to be more advanced than stroke it (or more polished anyway).

Is the app still being developed? Does it work in win7 (32 & 64 bit)?

There doesnt seem to be any updates since 2010.....
irecax
October 03, 2012 07:29PM
Yes i have Strokeit working perfectly on Windows 8 RTM & i had it on Windows 7 before, x86 & x64 windows works correctly,
there is no updates because there is no real need, maybe just to add more features but there is no bad bugs
October 04, 2012 04:06AM
Sort of. Jeff returns every x years, quickly fixes things, adds some features and then vanishes for another decade :)

I tried Sensiva years ago and yes, its GUI was definitely more polished. Was it more advanced altogether? Not at all at the time being. StrokeIt had the advantage of being able to internally use Lua scripts. But since the community discovered AHK I'm not sure anyone uses Lua in StrokeIt now. I guess most members are perfectly happy with AHK when it comes to scripting as it is a "bit" easier than Lua.

There are other very promising mouse gesture applications like [url=http://www.strokesplus.com/]StrokesPlus[/url], which heavily relies on Lua, or [url=http://www.autohotkey.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=50813]Radial Menu[/url], created and using AHK. Though the latter is rather a combination of different shortcuts, menus and some basic mouse gestures and is not as advanced in terms of mousing as StrokeIt or StrokesPlus, it's still my favorite :)

So, if you're looking for a quick, simple solution , which is adequate in most cases, StrokeIt is a good choice. If you need to do some 'nastier' things with your mouse and you're not afraid of some coding, I'd recommend StrokesPlus. And if you spend equal time on your keyboard and on your mouse and like menus and hotkeys, you should probably try Radial Menu.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2012 04:08AM by gemisigo.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 16 plus 6?