Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

"Reference to undefined gesture"

Posted by Ben Hill 
Ben Hill
"Reference to undefined gesture"
May 16, 2006 02:24PM
I use Strokeit for a dozen different applications and lots of different actions. I have made several new gestures and Strokeit has learned them and they work well. Very nice program. I learned gestures on Sensiva, but I think I like this program better.

Recently I deleted several of the gestures that I had no use for. Now when I make a new gesture, instead of just bringing up the "Unrecognized Gesture" box, I get a "Reference to undefined gesture" box. I get several of them, in fact. The first is "E". After I click OK on that one I get another "E", then a "C", then another "E", then a "K". Then the "Unrecognized Gesture" box pops up and I can hit "Learn". It happens this way with these same letters in the same order every time there is an unrecognized gesture. These are gestures I deleted, but they are not the only gestures I deleted. I don't have any actions that I can find that use any of these gestures, and I can't imagine why "E" would appear 3 times.

I suppose I could totally reinstall, but I don't want to lose customizations unless I have to. I have tried reinstalls without replacing or changing the current gestures and they did not change anything regarding this problem.

Any thoughts?

One more quick thing. I can't get Strokeit to learn a "V". It always recognizes it as a "U" no matter how many times I teach it (like dozens of times). I would think that a "V" would be easier to learn with its straight lines, but I haven't gotten Strokeit to recognize it yet.

Leo
Re: "Reference to undefined gesture"
May 16, 2006 02:46PM
Hi Ben Bill,

Costomizations in perfektion :).

>One more quick thing. I can't get Strokeit to learn a "V". It always >recognizes it as a "U" no matter how many times I teach it (like dozens of >times). I would think that a "V" would be easier to learn with its straight >lines, but I haven't gotten Strokeit to recognize it yet.

V is too similar to U. StrokeIt calculate with likelihood, that is the problem or the advantage of the program.

Can you please zip your actions and gestures folder and upload it here
[url=http://tcbmi.com/strokeit/forum/list.php?f=6]http://tcbmi.com/strokeit/forum/list.php?f=6[/url]

If you don't want to upload it here give me a other chance to see them.

Or the best solution go back to Sensiva :).

with best regards

Leo

Ben Hill
May 17, 2006 07:54AM
"V is too similar to U. StrokeIt calculate with likelihood, that is the problem or the advantage of the program."

That makes sense. This is a small inconvenience, but it isn't really important. The strange "Reference to undefined gesture" is more annoying and confusing for me.

I have uploaded the actions and gestures. I hope you can see something.

Ben

Any update
September 19, 2006 12:13PM
I am having the same problem and I also have a lot of customizations. Is there any news on this? Thanks.
mystyc
February 07, 2024 05:06AM
Even though the last message is nearly 20 years old, I thought I would add my solution since I just had a similar problem.

Check the STROKES.BIN file in your user directory (\%APPDATA%\TCB Networks\StrokeIt\Gestures\ on windows) using a text editor. If it is missing the data for the letter that you are having a problem with, then add that data from an unmodified file (like from a default installation).
It will look something like this
X {
}
The "..." will be some data that might or might not be readable, and also might be a single line or many. The lines might use control characters and seeming unprintable symbols or plain text. It is a binary file, but it just happens to be human readable.

There's another STROKES.BIN file in the program directory
\%ProgramFiles%\StrokeIt\Default\Gestures\ . You can try modifying that file, but doing so did not work for me. Rather, you might find an older version of some of the data needed to insert into the %APPDATA% file.

Be very careful about adding data like this. Not only do you have to make sure it exactly fits the syntax of the other entries in the file, but you also have to ensure that the file's character encoding remains to be ANSI and that line endings are made with both a [Carriage Return] and a [LineFeed] character, in that order. This might actually not be necessary, but it is better to change the smallest amount of data needed here.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 11 plus 3?