Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Wow! and arrrgh!

Posted by Felix 
Felix
Wow! and arrrgh!
April 08, 2003 06:50PM
First of all, what a terrific program! I can see that it will totally change the way I use my computer!!! Talk about a killer app! Thank you, Jeff!

My 'arrrgh' has to do with my own stupidity... I tried to get StrokeIT to learn a "Checkmark" gesture -- \Down-/Up -- and wound up 'losing' the /Up gesture; it's no longer 'recognized.' I probably should be able to restore the original gestures by reinstalling the program, but is there a simpler way, perhaps by copying over a clean strokes.bin file?

I have a few other questions which I couldn't find in the forums...

1) What exactly is a registered plug-in? I read that one is needed for the "Open Link in a New Window" trick in IE, and would like to know how much it would cost...

2) I wonder if StrokeIT gestures could be activated with a foot switch plugged in parallel into the mouse socket. I'm using the middle mouse button as the gesture activator, and am concerned about carpal tunnel.

3) For Task-Next (WheelDown), I use: [ALT_DOWN][ESCAPE][ALT_UP]
and for Task-Prev (WheelUp): [ALT_DOWN][SHIFT_DOWN][TAB][SHIFT_UP][ALT_UP]

This combination works great in WinXP; I can switch forwards or backwards without limitation. Before, when I used "[ALT_DOWN][SHIFT_DOWN][ESCAPE][SHIFT_UP][ALT_UP]" for Task-Prev, I wasn't able to cycle past the "ends" if that makes any sense. What I don't yet understand is why changing one macro seems to have affected the behavior of both....

Thanks again for a wonderful (and small!) program!
Felix
Jeff
Re: Wow! and arrrgh!
April 17, 2003 10:32AM
Felix,

Sorry for the delay in answering your questions.

To restore "/ Up", the easiest way is probably just to retrain strokeit using the learning mode. StrokeIt should be able to learn "/ Up" with only one stroke.

1) Registered plugins are plugins sold to software vendors looking to add mouse gestures to their product. A registered plugin receives detailed information about the shape and path of a gesture performed, while a standard plugin receives minimal information.

2) To the best of my knowledge, most foot switches simply function as standard mouse buttons. As long as the switch were set to act as one of the three primary buttons, you should have no problemes using it with StrokeIt.

3) WinXP has some very, very buggy keyboard handling with respect to the task bar.

-- Jeff
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 6 plus 16?