Wiki
Plugins
Translations
Developers
Donate

Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

How do I close it (ie. EXIT) ...no right-click menu !!

Posted by derty2 
How do I close it (ie. EXIT) ...no right-click menu !!
January 05, 2010 10:28AM
Hi there,

Could someone please tell me how to exit/close/shutdown StrokeIt at system tray
using my mouse right-click menu.
I don't see any menu !
All that happens (when you click the icon) is it alternates color from red to white.

If I have to close it using Task Manager every time, it will drive me crazy.
Re: How do I close it (ie. EXIT) ...no right-click menu !!
January 05, 2010 10:58AM
Left click on the icon to open the application window. In the menu select File and then Shutdown.

Right clicking on the icon is a shortcut for disabling the program.

-- Jeff
January 05, 2010 01:45PM
Alternatively, you could create an action with the command "Shutdown" and assign a global gesture to it, so you could shutdown it with a gesture. It's the fastest way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2010 08:30AM by gemisigo.
January 06, 2010 07:00AM
Thanks for the replies guys.
Isn't it 'normal' programming practice to allow the right click to be a menu selection tool ...ie. I right click on an icon and get 'exit' OR 'open main window' OR 'configure the program' OR 'insert another action here' etc etc etc ?
Also, the left click to be ...single click=TOGGLE ON-OFF ...double click=OPEN MAIN WINDOW.

Is that not conventional/normal/standard/proper programming practice ?

Cheers.

PS: If I was to play devils advocate here ... a new user is trying this out for the first time ... I can easily see how a fair amount of people would just say "FCK THAT !" , dump the program and move on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2010 07:01AM by derty2.
January 06, 2010 08:29AM
> Thanks for the replies guys.
You're welcome :)

> PS: If I was to play devils advocate here ... a
> new user is trying this out for the first time ...

Well, this leaves me to play "angels advocate" here :)
Let's see your argument:

> Isn't it 'normal' programming practice to allow
> the right click to be a menu selection tool

Yes, it is considered 'normal'. By many people. But here are some of us who would disagree. I would say it's rather 'common' than normal. Why?

StrokeIt was meant to be effective. There is nothing you could accomplish with a menu except to:
1. Bring up the Command editor window
2. Disable StrokeIt
3. Exit StrokeIt

If you get familiar with StrokeIt, you'll see that 1. is required every once in in a while, 2. is required every once in a while (but more seldom), and 3. is extremely rare. It was designed to be useful almost always and there are hardly any occasions you should have to exit it.
You'll also see that each action above can be achieved with a StrokeIt command (assigned to a global gesture), so you don't need the tray icon for any purpose other than see if StrokeIt is active or not.
Even if you don't do that, you'll have to disable StrokeIt more often than to exit it.

> I can easily see how a fair amount of people would
> just say "FCK THAT !" , dump the program and move
> on.

Yeah, that could happen. But as someone has pointed out earlier, StrokeIt is not for those people being so simple-minded and using such a rude expression :) Their loss will be great.

> Is that not conventional/normal/standard/proper
> programming practice ?

It is conventional, indeed. I doubt but it might be even standard, too (but that would be a pity). But it is not, by any means, normal or proper every time. Sticking to that each and every time is a very hide-bound approach. You have to do the most beneficial thing and not what is considered 'normal' at the first glance. Otherwise you'll lose more than you gain.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 3 plus 12?