Contact Us

StrokeIt

Rehash: Saving gestures

Posted by Churchill 
Churchill
Rehash: Saving gestures
November 23, 2002 09:43AM
<HTML>Hello.

I'm having the same troubles as found in this thread, RE: not being able to save gestures I create:

http://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/forum/read.php?f=3&i=303&t=303

The reply, likely a very helpful one, links to a thread at the hijacked domain name here:

www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/forum/read.php?f=3%26i=304%26t=304

Does anyone have the solution to this?

Thanks in advance.

-Churchill</HTML>
Jeff
Re: Rehash: Saving gestures
November 23, 2002 11:46AM
<HTML>Anything that was at the old domain is now available at tcbmi.com. You can simply change the url to: <a href="http://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/forum/read.php?f=3&i=304&t=304">www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/forum/read.php?f=3&i=304&t=304</a>

-- Jeff</HTML>
Churchill
November 23, 2002 01:07PM
<HTML>Thanks, Jeff, for the quick response and link (great program, BTW).

Creation of the custom gesture is working fine for me. The problem comes, however, when the computer is restarted - all custom gestures are lost.

For example, I created a gesture 'E Lowercase' following the steps outlined in the post linked above. The gesture is available in the drop-down menu and active (I assigned it to open explorer.exe) so long as the computer is up. As soon as I restarted the computer, the only evidence that I ever created the gesture is in the 'Gestures that will execute this action' dialog box. The gesture itself won't execute (brings up 'Unrecognized gesture') and it is no longer in the drop-down menu of available gestures.

If any of that makes sense. That's my only hangup with my trial of the program so far. Great in every other way.

For what it's worth, I'm running Win XP SP1, if that makes a difference.

-- Churchill</HTML>
Jeff
November 23, 2002 06:22PM
<HTML>Churchill,

I'm not having any luck reproducing this problem. On my XP SP1 test box, adding a new gesture works fine. Can you locate the folder you installed strokeit into, then check that inside the gestures folder, the file "strokes.bin" is not read-only, or anything like that. You could even try opening it up in notepad, any gestures you add yourself would be at the very bottom of the file.

Let me know if this helps at all, I'd like to get this figured out :)

-- Jeff</HTML>
Churchill
November 23, 2002 10:17PM
<HTML>Hi again, Jeff.

That actually was one of my first thoughts as well. Checking the attributes of 'strokes.bin' doesn't reveal it to be read-only, however, apparently no modifications are being made to the file.

Obviously, adding custom gestures isn't changing the .bin file, but, on a whim, I also tried deleting one of the presets (the '?' gesture). After exiting out of the command editor, I viewed the file in Notepad again and still no luck. Same goes for attempting to edit any existing preset in any way (i.e. having strokeit recognize a lowercase e as 'E' or a < symbol as 'X').

Here's what I've tried so far:

*Disabling disk monitoring devices (Roxio GoBack and Powerquest Datakeeper, though only GoBack monitors this particular partition) with the hopes that maybe the .bin file was being tied up in some way

*Creating the gestures, exporting configuration files, uninstalling, importing configuration files

*Plain 'ol fresh install after clearing out registry entries

*Probably a few other things I'm forgetting...I really like this program. :)

In any event, any such attempt to edit or create gestures is lost when logging off a user, restarting or shutting down. It's wierd, really.

Thanks again.

-- Churchill</HTML>
Jeff
November 23, 2002 11:08PM
<HTML>Churchill,

Can you try one more thing, just to be 100% sure that it's not writing the file (which most certainly sounds like it's the case)

- Launch StrokeIt
- Delete (or rename) strokes.bin
- Shutdown StrokeIt

Does strokes.bin get recreated?

-- Jeff</HTML>
Churchill
November 24, 2002 12:29AM
<HTML>Jeff,

I see you're working late as well. :) Really appreciate it, btw.

Tried deletion as you describe and unfortunately, no strokes.bin isn't being restored after shutting down StrokeIt.

However, restarting/logging off/shutting down the system after following these steps does create a new strokes.bin file, albeit a 0 kb (versus the 4 kb of the original) empty one. No presets, no customs this way.

Let me know if you need to know anything like what software is running concurrently with StrokeIt (I run a handful of apps constantly, though I can't think of anything that should affect StrokeIt in this manner) or if there's any other info you need. Again, thanks and get some sleep. :)

-- Churchill</HTML>
Jeff
November 24, 2002 11:57AM
<HTML>Churchill,

If you'd like to keep working on this, send me an email (jeff at tcbmi com), and I'll set you up with a debug build that might help us track down your problem.

-- Jeff</HTML>
Leo
November 24, 2002 02:40PM
<HTML>Hi Churchill and Jeff

First a question Churchill do you installed StrokeIt and using it with the same user login ? Perhaps this is the problem maybe not it is worth a try I think.

With best regards

Leo

Bye the way I can't live with StrokeIt anymore :).</HTML>
Erik
December 09, 2002 12:31PM
<HTML>Jeff,
Did you ever resolve this one? I also have this problem and I am running 0.9 final. The first version I had was 0.9b9 and that was when I first noticed the lost gestures on logout. I uninstalled 0.9b9, rebooted and then installed 0.9final , but still lose my gestures on logout. I am running win2k professional sp3 and I use it with the same account I installed it from. My strokes.bin is dated 11/30/2002, so maybe that means mine isn't being updated either? This app is amazingly good and any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Erik</HTML>
Jeff
December 09, 2002 12:51PM
<HTML>Erik,

I thought that I had resolved it, but if you're seeing this too, then I guess it may have cropped up again. Can you try this:

- Launch StrokeIt
- Shutdown StrokeIt

I'll try this out on a Win2k box later to see if I can recreate it.

-- Jeff</HTML>
Erik
December 09, 2002 01:09PM
<HTML>Jeff,
Here is what I found. When selecting Shutdown StrokeIt from the File menu of Command Editor, the strokes.bin file does get updated. However, when either logging out or restarting, the file does not get updated. Hope this helps.

Erik</HTML>
Jeff
December 09, 2002 02:32PM
<HTML>Erik,

That helps quite a bit, thank you. Can you try one more thing?

- Create an action, that uses the command "StrokeIt - Shutdown"
- Close the Command Editor Window
- Perform the gesture that you associated with the command to shutdown strokeit

Thanks,

Jeff</HTML>
Erik
December 09, 2002 02:51PM
<HTML>Jeff,
I ran the test you indicated, creating a new gesture to associate with the strokeit shutdown command. When using the gesture, strokeit is shutdown and strokes.bin is recreated. When I restarted StrokeIt, the new gesture was present and still functioned as the StrokeIt Shutdown command.

Erik</HTML>
Erik
December 10, 2002 10:52AM
<HTML>Jeff,
Do you handle system shutdown notification through the WM_QUERYENDSESSION message or through the WM_ENDSESSION message? The last test you asked me to run did result in the strokes.bin file being created, but it still won't occur on log off or shutdown. If I can help in anyway, please let me know.

Erik</HTML>
Jeff
December 10, 2002 12:42PM
<HTML>Erik,

The shutdown notification is handled at WM_ENDSESSION right now, but it would probably be preferrable to catch WM_QUERYENDSESSION as well. I'll try this out this evening when I have a chance to play with the code.

Thanks,

Jeff</HTML>
Jeff
December 10, 2002 06:42PM
<HTML>Erik,

I've added the WM_QUERYENDSESSION handling, you can get the updated executable <a href="http://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/files/beta/strokeit.exe">here</a>. Just replace your existing strokeit.exe with this one, and let me know if it fixes anything for you.

-- Jeff</HTML>
Erik
December 10, 2002 10:32PM
<HTML>Jeff,
I just tried the updated exe and no luck, log out won't generate a strokes.bin. I installed this on a second workstation that is running win2k adv. svr sp3 to see if maybe something was funky with my win2k professional box and it is having the same problem on log out, even after the updated exe. Let me know if I can help with any other tests.

Erik</HTML>
Jeff
December 10, 2002 10:51PM
<HTML>Erik,

I can reproduce this on my Win2k test box now, so I should be able to work on it more easily. I'll post something here when I have a working fix.

Thanks for all your help so far,

Jeff</HTML>
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 22 plus 16?