Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

StrokeIt source :)

Posted by Keith Lea 
Keith Lea
StrokeIt source :)
December 07, 2001 12:11AM
I'm really curious as to how you did this, with the learning and all that. Are you planning to release the source? And if not, why not? >=| And if so, when? :D

k bye
Jeff
Re: StrokeIt source :)
December 07, 2001 02:40AM
Unfortunately, I have no plans to make this open source. Although I am an open source advocate, and I do work on other open-source projects (<a href="http://www.kmeleon.org">K-Meleon</a>, etc), I do need to make some money from at least one of my programs.

I intend to always make StrokeIt free for personal use, but I'm hoping to make some money selling registered plugin licenses to companies looking to include extensive StrokeIt support in their projects.

In a perfect world, everyone who uses StrokeIt would say "wow, this is really great, I think I'll donate some money", and then I would be more than happy to release the source...but until that happens, I need to keep the source to myself it hopes of finding other ways to make this profitable.

-- Jeff
JD
December 07, 2001 01:38PM
Ah, that's were I've seen the name Jeff Doozan before. I knew it sounded familiar. :)
Mark
January 02, 2002 09:04PM
<HTML>This is impressive software, and for freeware - its incredible. Good work my friend, look forward to seeing this software progress, although its already awesome.</HTML>
Greg Taylor
January 03, 2002 09:38AM
<HTML>I would imagine that this simply records your mouse movements. When certains patterns are made, it executes code. This may be a very rough top down design, but this is my guess. Great job!</HTML>
Hightree
April 04, 2002 05:28AM
<HTML>Before I found StrokeIt, I stumbled onto another gesture prog this one includes the source.
http://www.codeproject.com/cpp/gestureapp.asp

Have fun, Hightree</HTML>
olorin
April 06, 2002 12:46PM
<HTML>Can you just tell whether you use neural nets or some other algorithm? And if another one, which one?</HTML>
Advocate
July 10, 2007 09:22PM
I migrated to Ubuntu + Beryl recently (linux) --- I am moving far away from windows.

If you are planning on making money, I hope you are in the process right now ....

Great software -- I love it. I have used it for 3+ years.

Nothing that I have found like this in the linux world. Hit it while it's hot.
(Otherwise another programmer will have to do it & make the money)

I am all for open source -- but if I have to pay for this, I will.

Keep it up & Spread it around.

-Shannon
Amitabh
August 19, 2007 07:04PM
Hey Jeff,

Thanks for making this free for personal use.

Amitabh
me
strokeit for linux
November 01, 2007 04:12PM
advocate is right, there are lots of people who would like to use strokeit in linux! since they save money by not buying windows they would surely spend a little money on strokeit!

some do not use linux just because it cannot use your great program! *hint*
Juanma
Re: strokeit for linux
November 27, 2007 05:57PM
I am one more of the ones above that do not really go full migration to Linux because could not find anything like Strokeit for it. I say I pay 10§ for that porting. I have been using Strokeit for +4 years and its almost perfect. Please at least think in the possibilities to port it to linux (it does not mean you can no longer sell this as a plug-in to other companies or make some money by donations).

Anyway, good job, my sincere thanks.

Juanma.
Alex975
December 02, 2007 06:00AM
Shame to see development of this great tool died.

If the author of this tool is reading this, how about following idea (I'm sure something like this has been brought up before, but I won't read all forum entries):

Make up some donation alert on the mainpage and set goals. Like, if people donate more than - example - 500$, you'll do a new version (working out issues with Vista). If people donate more than - example - 2000$ in 6 months, you'll release the source... I think a lot of people would love to support and donate, but after 2 years of no updates there's little motivation to do so...
Simon
December 08, 2007 02:25PM
Hi
Yes, I agree with Alex. I'd already donated $20 before I moved to Vista just to say thanks for a fantastic programme. And I'd be happy to add another $50 if I new this was going to be fixed for Vista - judging by other comments on the forum I think a lot of other StrokeIt fans would open their wallets too. Where are you Jeff? Hope you're not ill
S
December 10, 2007 05:25PM
Cries of "where are you, Jeff" and pleas to work on StrokeIt rise and fall like waves in this forum. Maybe we can get a wave going here :)

What Simon says goes for me too. StrokeIt has become for me not just nice or useful but essential to my getting my work done in an efficient and comfortable manner. I'd almost say my livelihood depends on it. I've said before, and I'll say again, if money would help Jeff get back in the game, I'm sure we in this forum can come up with money. And If Jeff is unable, unwilling, or uninterested in working on StrokeIt, I would beg him to make the sources available. I and others with experience can organize a Sourceforge project and develop StrokeIt in a responsible manner.

I don't know if he even reads this forum. I guess I'll try the email route as well.
Lucas
September 19, 2008 12:10PM
This is the some open alternatives for Linux:

* http://sourceforge.net/projects/mygestures: like strokeit, but without GUI
* http://sourceforge.net/projects/easystroke: it have a GUI, but you can't define gestures to specific applications (the developer is planning to do that)

att,
Lucas
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 18 plus 1?