Wiki
Plugins
Translations
Developers
Donate

Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

The real program is at www.SymbolCommander.com!

Posted by Jack 
<HTML>Don't be fooled guys, Symbol Commander is the original gesture program and I've been using it for about 2 years. I use the Pro version. Much better than any other gesture program.</HTML>
<HTML>well, don't want to be that harsh than you, but hehehe.
the installer crashes on my xp box.
i also don't want to pay 79$.
and i like to be a tiny tiny part of the strokeit development.

fooled greetings
pi</HTML>
<HTML>I've never had any problem with Symbol Commander. I save so much time with it, it's such a rich program. Try out the standard version, it's customizable too, although not as "geeky" as the Pro.

Interesting to see how Strokeit copies almost every detail of Symbol Commander, step by step. If it wasn't a great product nobody would copy it, right? I stick with the original and the best, I don't like copycats.</HTML>
<HTML>i love strokeit. you can read my postings i made here,
i manage strokeit with dreamweaver mx. i have a gestures panel (flash swf) and snippets for the main keystrokes i use.
that may sound crazy, but its a nice way to deal with xp.

currently i have fileex, xfilesdialog, xdesk and remote keys installed. strokeit fits nice to that environment.
and to all of these programmers i have some kind of contact, so why change ?

it took me a while to finetune my workflow, but now i am still happy.
symbol commander might be a nice tool and when you are lucky with it, then use it.

here are the urls of tools:
xdesk and xfilesdialog -> http://www.xdesksoftware.com/
file-ex -> http://www.cottonwoodsw.com/ (xp/2000 next week)
remotekeys -> http://www.freewarehits.de/RemoteKeys.htm

cheers</HTML>
<HTML>I've been using the original freeware version of Sensiva (as it used to be called) for a few yrs. The recent versions, as "Symbol Commander" are bloatware & don't work well with alternate shells (Litestep, etc). Strokeit is definitely the better choice.</HTML>
<HTML>I don't see anything copied in StrokeIT from your SC program. I too have the pro version and let me tell ya: it sucks compared to StrokeIT.
There's one thing SC has: a nice look, but thats all. Everything it can do StrokeIT can, well besides one missing feature: marking the text doing a gesture and it will search your favorite searchengen. Let's go the Improvement Requests forum!
Anyhow maybe you could tell me in your rage (I love that spamming in the plugins forum) why your advertised program is better? Any features missing in StrokeIT? Or just angry that you spent your 79 bucks and now you get the same (even better hrhr) program for free?

Ce't la vie, mon ami
Dennis</HTML>
<HTML>Symbol Commander was there years before Strokeit, wake up, man. But I don't care. It's just very funny to see a few people like you who feel like they're participating in an innovative project from far away, while the original program has been there for years already, and bundled in standard in a number of products like PCs (BTW, I didn't pay anything for it, it came with my PC) and I think mice and tablets.

Anyway, best of luck to you, next time try to have original ideas.

How come the author of the program doesn't participate in this discussion? Would he dare to admit he copied the idea?

Jack</HTML>
<HTML>Indeed! I tried both products and the resemblance in features is striking... Symbol Commander is more mature and much better, both in terms of design and of usability.

-- Ray</HTML>
<HTML>Where did Opera browser steal it's mouse gestures from then?</HTML>
semifamous
Re: The real program is at www.SymbolCommander.com!
August 22, 2002 08:29PM
<HTML>They stole it from "Black and White"

Or at least, that's what everyone says... =)</HTML>
<HTML>so jack, whats your intension to post here ?
are you not happy with your program ?
or are you a symbol commander salesman ?

do you have a mission ? - i mean i could understand that somehow, because i am a team macromedia member (flash, dreamweaver, etc)

but i never would post these strange posts like yours in a adobe forum.</HTML>
DarKLord
August 27, 2002 12:01PM
<HTML>First I didn't want to post on this topic but.... well, here we go :)

There HAVE been gestures before StrokeIt... Correct!

So what?

What is your point? I have known Sensiva before as well and used the Standard version for a while, but it simply didn't work very well. its an ok program and everything, but calling it 'the original program' is plain bullshit.

Whats your proplem with programs that dare to REALLY solve problems / offer sollutions that others did before in a slightly different way.

I mean MacOS was there before Windows... but ... Oh my god!! You are using Windows!!! Shame on you!

Well, I guess i made my point clear;
everyone be happy with whatever they like best.

Sensiva/Symbol Commander just doesn't do it for some people, and especially if you are into administrating several systems at once and you really see the difference between bloatware and small-footprint software such as Strokeit (currently using jsut 356KB RAM).</HTML>
<HTML>People who choose StrokeIt know that a utility prog should make minimal demands on the system: computers are for running applications, not making mouse gestures. If you have other goals, maybe Symbol Commander is for you. Go be happy, and stop sharing your joy here. Too bad Sensiva removed their user forums a year or 2 ago, to silence the people who had probs with their fine app.</HTML>
Maur
September 13, 2002 09:24PM
<HTML>Actually, there are a couple gesture apps out there with even less system overhead than StrokeIt; Jerboa is one, though some channel people say that it's buggier (dunno, I use StrokeIt exclusively). Pavel wrote another one using libstroke.c, a LiteStep module called gestures.dll, which has almost no overheard. Though, it has much less features than any of the other gesture utilities.

Jerboa, http://www.sci.fi/~mips/jerboa/

Gestures.dll, in the module archive at shellfront.org</HTML>
<HTML>After reading this post, I had to chime in to say that Jack seems like a real jerk. I don't care if he's right and the other system is the greatest piece of coding ever produced.

His posts make him sound like the "Comic Book Guy" from the Simpsons saying "Worst Episode Ever"

Jack, I'm probably not going to read this forum again so go ahead and vent - just don't go around posting mean-spirited rants like this one - its just plain rude.</HTML>
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 3 plus 4?