Contact Us

StrokeIt

strokeit application identifier bug ?

Posted by avi 
avi
strokeit application identifier bug ?
October 09, 2004 04:27AM
Hi
I've been using strokeit for about 6 months now and it was working without any problem.
about a month ago it started doing other application's gestures inside the application I was working in...

For example : in myie (web browser) i disabled strokeit in the strokeit config box but for some reason it's sometimes springs into action ...

when I check the filename with the application finder , it shows acrord32.exe (acrobat reader) instead of myie.exe , and so it is with all the other programs currently running (totalcmd.exe sometimes says it is myie.exe and so on)..

anyone knows why this happens ?
Jordan
Re: strokeit application identifier bug ?
October 09, 2004 10:14AM
Don't know why this happens.
But i can assure you that it does occurs on some MDI applications.
Jeff
October 09, 2004 10:27AM
It does that when you're viewing a webpage with a PDF - acrord32.exe is the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Instead of using the IE window to show the PDF, Acrobat Reader actually runs itself as a borderless window and just hovers on top of the IE browser window, so when you perform a gesture over the page, you're really performing a gesture on the Acrobat Reader program.

-- Jeff
Rob
October 13, 2004 05:57AM
I have noticed that just occasionally MS Word does the wrong things when drawing strokes.
when I check the filename with the application finder, it then shows iexplore.exe rather than msword.exe.
avi
October 14, 2004 01:00AM
Thank you all for the replies

Jeff : I've disabled the acrobat reader web view, and also made sure no tab on myie was loading a pdf file , and it still does the same problem ... It also happens on other mdi applications Like Rob said - word is good example...

in the meantime the only solution I've found is to reopen strokeit after the mdi app has run , but that is kind of a drag...
Rob
October 14, 2004 08:50AM
What you could try is to redefine all the Application Identifiers to use Window Class instead of File Name. It seems to recognise these more reliably, I can't think why...
avi
October 14, 2004 01:27PM
yeah ..
the problem is with programs that are not specially configured and use the global actions.
they are being recognised as other programs like cmd.exe for example...
Jordan
November 18, 2004 02:10AM

My workaround for this problem is to use Title recognization rather than the window class or file name recognization.

Using patterned title recognization also provides MDI detection. For example, if there's a file opened in Acrobat, it will show "Acrobat Reader - file.pdf", without a file opened, "Acrobat Reader" only. If Title matches "Acrobat Reader - *", we assign MDI related command to the Acrobat Reader, for example (C = Close MDI window, Ctrl+F4), if Title is "Acrobat Reader", we apply the global actions to it (C = Close entire window, Alt+F4).
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 25 plus 25?