Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

.9 Beta 9 preview released

Posted by Jeff 
Jeff
.9 Beta 9 preview released
March 25, 2002 09:03PM
<HTML>I need beta testers for the upcoming beta 9 release. Specifically those of you using "wheel" mice. The preview is available <a href="http://www.tcbmi.com/cgi-bin/download.pl?file=StrokeIt9b9-pre.exe">here</a>.

Let me know if the new "WHEEL_UP" and "WHEEL_DOWN" gestures work on your system. If you have problems, please post them here along with your operating system, type of mouse, and version of the mouse drivers.

Logitech mouse users will need to go to the mouse control panel and set "Office97 Compatibility Mode" to take advantage of this feature.

You'll need to update your gestures file to add these new commands. If you're not willing to overwrite you existing gestures files, you'll have to manually append the following to strokes.bin. Alternatively, you can just use the "Add Gesture" command to add gestures with the applicable names.

WHEEL_UP {
}

WHEEL_DOWN {
}

LBUTTON_DOWN {
}

LBUTTON_UP {
}

MBUTTON_DOWN {
}

MBUTTON_UP {
}

RBUTTON_DOWN {
}

RBUTTON_UP {
}</HTML>
Googer
Re: .9 Beta 9 preview released
March 26, 2002 10:47AM
<HTML>Seems to be working fine for me (Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 w/ Intellipoint 4.01 installed on XP Pro). :)</HTML>
JD
March 26, 2002 06:19PM
<HTML>Every time I try a mouse wheel gesture, User.exe crashes whatever program I tried the gesture in.

W98, Logitech 3-button mouse w/ Logitech Mouseware 9.42.1 & "Office97 Compatibility Mode" turned on.</HTML>
Jeff Mutch
March 27, 2002 08:54AM
<HTML>The Run Program command seems to be broken. All the backslash directory separators get stripped from the program path.</HTML>
Jeff
March 27, 2002 10:24AM
<HTML>Jd - Thanks for the info...that's not really what I was hoping to hear, I thought I'd fixed that....Win98 is not pretty, but I'll do what I can to fix it. Are you using the original Win98, or SE?

Jeff - Thank you for noticing that, I'll have it fixed for the official release.</HTML>
JD
March 27, 2002 01:25PM
<HTML>I'm using Win98 first edition.</HTML>
Dennis
March 28, 2002 02:00PM
<HTML>Win98SE speaking here with Compaq Wheel mouse operating with the microsoft PS/2 Drivers.

I can only use the wheel up wheel down buttons, when I press the wheel. So actually I press the right mouse button, the middle button and roll the wheel up... maybe a little too much ain't it? :)

and AHHHHHHHHHHHHH the new version ate all my backslashes in my action files, so that I have to reconfigure all my programs.. well whatever I bet you did it on pupose, so that I can clean up all my actions.

Gr3371ngs <<|-|4x0R :)
Dennis</HTML>
DakLord
March 31, 2002 05:55PM
<HTML>whell function *seems* to work alright (didn't have much time :-()

BUT with this release strokeit wont remember for which programs gestures should be disabled, and somehow, my 'back' (left) and 'forward' gestures don't work anymore.. didn't had much time to further test this either :-/

but about the 'unable to disable' thingy Im absoluteley sure it wont save it.

Specs.
Win2ksp2
LogiTech MouseMan Optical
(no special drivers, or fat mouse progs. just ouer beloved and sleek StrokeIt ;))

;D</HTML>
Jeff
April 30, 2002 07:34PM
<HTML>Beta 9 preview 2 is now available <a href="http://www.tcbmi.com/cgi-bin/download.pl?file=StrokeIt9b9-pre.exe">here</a>.

The mousewheel stuff should work on all systems running intellipoint or logitech drivers with no change of settings required. It should also be fine on systems without any specific mouse drivers installed.

The backslash problems are also fixed now.

I can't replicate the "unable to disable" problem. It works fine with this build for me.

If you haven't already installed preview 1, read the first post in this thread for additional instructions.

As always, let me know what you think, and what problems you have.

-- Jeff</HTML>
JD
May 01, 2002 03:44PM
<HTML>Ok, using the mouse wheel gestures doesnt cause a crash anymore, but they don't seem to exec a command or anything.(wheel_up, wheel_down) x_x Lbutton_up, Lbutton_down, etc work fine.

Same settings/info as before.</HTML>
Dennis
Re
May 04, 2002 12:15AM
<HTML>JEEEEEEF
ur killing me. It's nice that it doesn't delete my backslashed anymore, but now it deletes always the first letter of my folder. So If I got: C:\%SYSDIR%\notepad.exe it makes it into C:\%YSDIR%\otepad.exe. An even cooler bug is, if the folder starts with the same letter or same pattern, let's say "...\The Bat!\thebat.exe it goes into ...\he Bat!(someweirdcharacter)he Bat.e same for trillian, and the exe got cropped too. I didnt even try the mousewheel support yet, cuz I always gotta fix all my programs ;)

Hasta la vista
Dennis</HTML>
Jeff
Beta 9 Preview Updated
May 08, 2002 11:39PM
<HTML>I've updated it once more. Get the build <a href="http://www.tcbmi.com/cgi-bin/download.pl?file=StrokeIt9b9-pre.exe">here</a>.

Logitech users, please let me know how the new wheel events work for you.

If you haven't installed an earlier prerelease, see the notes at the top of this thread for additional instructions.

-- Jeff</HTML>
JD
Re: Beta 9 Preview Updated
May 09, 2002 12:33AM
<HTML>OK, found the problem.(at least for me) It's logitechs program "EM_EXEC.exe". When I kill it, "mouse wheel" gestures work fine. Unfortunaly if I kill it, my "mouse wheel" button is useless. (I have it set to backspace & use it frequently.) :-(

Ah well, just another reason to buy an optical mouse. :-D hehe</HTML>
Jeff
May 09, 2002 01:04AM
<HTML>Yeah, I know the problem is in logitech's drivers (em_exec). Unfortunately, their drivers behave just a little bit differently on every machine I've tried, however, I think I'm pretty close to having it worked out. I've updated the build yet again, and it's working on the two logitech machines that I have to test it on. If you'd be kind enough to download it and again, I'd be very appreciative :)

Thanks,

Jeff

<a href="http://www.tcbmi.com/cgi-bin/download.pl?file=StrokeIt9b9-pre.exe">Download the preview release</a></HTML>
JD
May 09, 2002 01:29AM
<HTML>Sure thing. ;-D</HTML>
JD
May 09, 2002 01:37AM
<HTML>Woohoo! It works. :-D It takes two scrolls to register, but it works. LoL

Who rawks? Jeff rawks! LoL</HTML>
Jeff
May 09, 2002 07:58AM
<HTML>What do you mean by "it takes two scrolls to register"? Is that every time, or just the first "scroll"?

-- Jeff</HTML>
JD
May 09, 2002 10:24AM
<HTML>Every diff "mouse gesture" I do, I need to scroll down(or up) two times for it to execute the command. But, if I scroll down(or up) twice & hold down the right button after the command executes, just one down(or up) scroll of the wheel will execute the command again.

Did that make sense? LoL

~JD</HTML>
Dennis
May 16, 2002 06:20PM
<HTML>Mousewheel works fine for me even to I dont have a logitech mouse :) GEneric Compaq. Got another problem with the new release or with all the releases:
They dont work in Opera, I always have to turn off gestures in opera, because else StrokeiT gets stuck. That means I draw the gesture forever and time out doesnt kick in. And the left mosue button is stuck int he new version. That means that it doubleclicks the whole time and to make that go away I gotta reboot.
Win 98Se
Dennis</HTML>
Tawfiq
May 16, 2002 10:14PM
<HTML>i downloaded the new version, and its working fine here. MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 5-button mouse

one question though, i dont seem to understand the difference between making the gesture trigger on button down or up.

i mean its the same result either way, can someone explain to me how they can be used in a different manner?</HTML>
JD
May 16, 2002 10:35PM
<HTML>It works fine for me in Opera, all versions. I have Opera gestures disabled.

I have a few problems myself tho....

The big one for me is, resource usage. After 3-4 hours of use, Stroke-it uses 20-65% of resources. ??? I've only noticed this since the current beta9 release.

Another is, if I shutdown Strokeit, then restart it with Opera/IE open, I get an error (em_exec has caused..), followed by bluescreens & more errors from the various apps running. The only solution is to power down the pc. x_x

The last one is, when I logoff, sometimes Strokeit will stop working. The only way to fix it, is to restart.

W98

Dennis, you forgot a good-bye remark :D ;)</HTML>
Dennis
May 16, 2002 11:03PM
<HTML>JD, I know I just came back from LA installed the new version and was so in a hurry getting all my clothes back together. Hey U know how it sucks having to wash all the underwear because u dont have anything left for the next day?
I dont know why my Opera won't work, since now I always used the Opera gestures. I just download the new version 6.02 maybe it helps. And yeah I had the memory hole occuring too with strokeit. I even had the "Not enough memory to run program" warning, damn I almost forgot about that message with all the RAM people have nowadays. Hey Jeff could you make an update version or something around those lines, I know I requested that before and I know its on your todo list, but it just sucks, everytime saving my old gestures, deleting the new standard ones from you, and adding again my old gestures to get my strokit back.
StrokeIT is still my favorite program I couldnt live w/o it, I hope I'll find some time to make the Help, cuz since now I didnt find the time.
I really need to get my notebook working again, or buy a new one it sucks running around only with a Pocket PC :) Oh great, I just thought that I gotta wash all my clothes and suits cuz NY is in 2 weeks. Well as anyone would care ;) You guys have a good sleep! And here it comes, the moment you've all waited for: The good-bye remark (TATAAAAAA) Today: My own sense of life

Live for the moment, the time will follow for sure
Dennis</HTML>
Scott
May 17, 2002 01:12PM
<HTML>Concerning the update feature:

The installer will not over-write your gestures or your actions unless you explicitly tell it to. It will also no longer add TO your gestures unless you tell it to (as long as the version you're talking about is recent ;-) ). I'll do some checking tonight, and see if I can perhaps make this a little bit more intuitive, but it might mean a bigger (:-() download.

-Scott</HTML>
Dennis
May 18, 2002 02:29AM
<HTML>I was talking about the 9b9 release, wich would be the most recent as far as i'm concerned, maybe I'm just too dumb and overlooked that function in the installer. And no it didnt delete my old ones, but for example my old (default) got overwritten with the program-one. Well whatever, thats what backups are for :)
Have a good sleep everyone
Dennis</HTML>
Scott
May 21, 2002 10:43AM
<HTML>I'm working on the installer to hopefully clean up a few things, make it smaller :) and a little more obvious as to what's going to be going on.

-Scott</HTML>
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 2 plus 8?