Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

StrokeIt and AquaSnap 1.6.3

Posted by TomeG2kc 
StrokeIt and AquaSnap 1.6.3
November 15, 2012 07:21AM
Hi devs and helpers :).
I'm using SI from years ;), simply - great software for every mouse oriented user.
But I found issue SI with another good app - AquaSnap. Almost all function of this app work great, but one not at all - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19387969/AquaSnap.jpg - only AquaStrech functions, red marked, not working. When I double-click on borders (with or without shift) nothing happens.
But when I Shutdown StrokeIt (red arrow) all works like a charm. And let's be clear. Even when I delete all configured applications from SI, or disabled gestures in all of them, the same happend, AquaStrech not working with StrokeIt on.
Any help?

P.S. I'm running Win7 HP 64bit

==
With regards
Tomasz
Re: StrokeIt and AquaSnap 1.6.3
November 15, 2012 07:42AM
It appears to be some kind of hook conflict. If AquaSnap is running and I start SI, AquaStretch doesn't work. But if SI is running first and I start AquaSnap afterward, AquaStretch seems to work fine.

Though, it can't be a pure hook conflict within Windows since the order of these programs starting doesn't matter when using S+, AquaStretch always works. I'm not sure if SI is checking something or not forwarding to the next hook in the chain under a certain circumstance or something. I tried using 32 and 64-bit S+, running with and without admin privs and AquaStretch always works. But with SI, it needs to be running first, then start AquaSnap. Try that and see if it works. If so, maybe uncheck the start with Windows option in AquaSnap and run it after SI is fully loaded.
November 15, 2012 01:36PM
Thanx CapersL, you was right about autostart apps sequence. When I used to Startup Delayer (and delay AquaSnap for 1 minutes after StrokeIt), all above apps works fine.
BTW, what is S+???
THX again.

Added 1 hour later:

Zonk, not truth. Or not partial truth.

It is:
1. Boot Windows
2. StrokeIt is running (launched in the background)
3. Startup Delayer delay AquaSnap for 1 minute
4. AquaStrech is working (I checked on some windows border)
5. For a while I first time used gesture to minimize some window...
6. After it AquaStrech didn't work at all :(.

Any help?

==
With regards
Tomasz

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2012 02:51PM by TomeG2kc.
November 15, 2012 08:48PM
Ahh, well not sure what to tell you. It's not my intent to steal SI users by visiting this forum, but S+ is StrokesPlus, my gesture app.

Of course, I didn't extensively use AquaSnap for a long period of time with S+, so it could be that AquaSnap is deciding not to forward hook messages at some point or something...not really sure.
November 17, 2012 08:27AM
As a long-time user of Stroke It, I switched to Strokes Plus fairly recently, and I must say it is significantly better. The main improvement for me is that gesture drawing is far more reliable under heavy CPU/RAM stress (or whatever; what causes the unreliability of Stroke It never became entirely clear). In Stroke It, I would very often draw \ instead of L, because it would only pick up the end and the beginning of the gesture. That said, I do feel that Stroke It is faster *when* it works. I should investigate that more, when I'm not too busy/lazy.
November 17, 2012 09:51AM
I'm certain it's faster than S+, but not by wide margin. Since every action, even minimizing a window in S+ loads up and executes into the Lua engine, there's a lot more overhead. Plus there's a hit with the additional options for application and ignore qualifiers; each event processes more code than SI, but has more flexibility.

On top of that (this is based on pure speculation), I think the gesture recognition code may be more processing intensive...perhaps why folks state that S+ is more accurate than SI when it comes to recognition; but can't say for sure.

The fact that everything, from gestures to actions is in a readable XML format also means more overhead when it comes to parsing the gesture points to compare against the draw points.

I honestly like this, though. SI was my love and I hate the thought of taking anything away from Jeff. So for many folks who aren't looking to go crazy with scripts (nor want to script anything!), SI is great and a faster alternative to S+. For some, the trade-off with using S+ is the added flexibility. Just seems like there are a few issues which do need to be addressed (updated) in SI as of late, like Win8 and the Firefox/Flash player gesture artifacts (or whatever it was). But I've no doubt Jeff will once again rise from the ashes and bang out the updates =)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2012 09:52AM by CapersL.
November 17, 2012 09:58AM
Cerberus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (or whatever; what causes the
> unreliability of Stroke It never became entirely
> clear).

I have some speculation about that. When looking into your issues on XP (the flickering, etc.), I looked pretty closely at what SI was doing to figure out the difference. In doing that, I noticed that it appears the mouse hook is sending messages to the gesture draw window to process the drawing and gesture (a guess). Under a heavy load, I think there could be some kind of negative impact on the relaying/receiving of these in a timely fashion (getting queued up or something).

Where S+ does everything in the mouse hook itself. Of course, that means if S+ crashes or hangs in its code, it pretty much brings the system to a halt until you can kill it. From an application development perspective, SI is doing it the "right" way, by playing nice with the system, but at a cost. Another compromise, I guess =)

Again, this is pure speculation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2012 10:11AM by CapersL.
November 19, 2012 12:53PM
Hi,
I tried S+ and I found some lags and delays in my system, unfortunately. I don't have great spec, Celeron 1.2 Ghz ULV, 4GB enough ram and processor intensive Win7 x64 so this probably processor speed issue.
I enabled the Keep Gesture Draw Window on Top option, deleted unused and ignored registry, like your tips in corresponding forum, but it not solved enough this lag problem.
So, I still looking for solve issue with AquaSnap/AquaStrech option.
Any help?
==
Tomasz
November 24, 2012 09:37AM
You're most likely suffering from the gesture draw window overlay (video graphics related). Not that I expect you to run this way, but just out of curiosity, what if you try disabling the gesture drawing (uncheck Draw Gestures from S+ tray icon) and see if you have lag. Also uncheck the Aggressively Manage Memory check in Preferences.

S+ handles drawing the gestures on-screen differently than S+. On one hand, S+ doesn't have the Flash artifact issue (http://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/forum/read.php?4,57623), but it is more graphics intensive than SI, so it's another one of those trade-offs.

I was just curious if you only have the lag with the Draw gestures option on.

As far as this issue with AquaSnap, Jeff would have to look into and correct that since it's clearly something with the mouse hook and messages; I'm pretty sure there's nothing anyone else can do to help.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 21 plus 10?