"Outdated string file detected" Error Message on boot

Posted by Juanma 
Hi community,

Latest versions running on Windows XP, shows an error window with the message:

C:\Documents and Settings\.....\StrokeIt\Bin\Strings\\msg\English.lng
An outdated string file has been detected
Please visit http://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit to obtain the latest file

OK

What went wrong? I have been using Strokeit for years on different machines without this message.

Thanks for this nice piece of SW.

Jm.
Re: "Outdated string file detected" Error Message on boot
August 05, 2011 10:13AM
Others have had a similar problem, and so have I. I still don't really understand it, but somehow I solved it, and I haven't seen it in a year. It may not be entirely the same, because I also had weird characters appearing in the StrokeIt interface and certain gestures not working. I could usually temporarily solve it by importing a saved gestures/actions backup.

To check whether it is something in your actions files that causes the error (it was for me), you could do the following:
1. Restart StrokeIt
2. Export your actions+gestures.
3. Shut down SI.
4. Delete all your actions (delete all the .cfg files at C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Application Data\TCB Networks\StrokeIt\Actions ). Note that you could open and edit these in a text editor.
5. Start StrokeIt, see if the error message appears. If it does, it must be something other than your actions files. Then reinstall StrokeIt and import your old gestures; no need to proceed with 6 and 7. If there is no error message, proceed with 6 below.
6. Make a new application + action + command.
7. Restart, see if the error message appears.
If it doesn't appear, there is probably something wrong with your actions files. I had that too, but it could be fixed; proceed to C below. Before you do C, import your old actions+gestures back in.

What you could try:

A.
1. Restart StrokeIt.
2. Export all gestures and actions if you haven't done so recently. Don't perform any gestures or browse through the applications before you do this, or they might get scrambled again; at least that's how it was for me.
3. Uninstall.
4. Reinstall.
This probably won't work, but it is worth a try.

B.
1. Restart SI.
2. Export.
3. Change the font of all your OSD commands in the exported file. This is best done by exporting your actions/gestures and doing find-and-replace on that file in a text editor (it can be opened like a .txt file).
4. Import.
I don't remember whether this worked, but I sure got error messages when something was wrong with my font. Perhaps a different bug; I've had several.

C.
1. Restart SI.
2. Make a new global action with a few of your most-used commands, particularly OSD and Hotkey. It would be easiest for step 5 if you make the commands the same as in another action you already have. But don't copy-paste the old command! It must be created new.
3. Export.
4. Open the exported file in a text editor.
5. Now carefully compare the commands in this new action with some of your older commands in other actions. Do you remember some older actions giving you trouble, such as error messages or scrambled input fields when you opened them in the StrokeIt interface? Compare the new one with such an old action. I had problems with OSD and Hotkey commands, I think. Pay particular attention to the number of quotation marks, where they are put, and the kind (single or double).

I remember I solved my problem by finding-and-replacing until the quotation marks were everywhere the same as in my new action; there were all sorts of differences before that.

6. After correcting/updating your actions, save the file.
7. Import it in StrokeIt.
8. Restart StrokeIt, see if the error message still appears.

Good luck! I hope your problem isn't something else entirely, but it won't hurt to examine your .sxp file.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2011 10:41AM by Cerberus.
Thanks for your reply.

Actually I have changed nothing, and I am not having the problem ever since reported... :(

Well, anyway.Very good program!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 2 plus 16?