Wiki
Plugins
Translations
Developers
Donate

Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

StrokeIt won't work for me? It stopped working suddenly!

Posted by Laskoloy 
StrokeIt won't work for me? It stopped working suddenly!
February 12, 2011 05:36PM
Hi everybody, today early I was using pc like usual, StrokeIt was working like normally too.. I switched off my pc, time later I switched it on and surprise! there was an error dialog box with only this path: C:\Documents and Settings\User\Configuración local\Datos de programa\TCB Networks\StrokeIt\Bin\Strings\\English.. ('User' is my user name); then StrokeIt stopped working, each time I tried to do a gesture a dialog box appereaced, the one to add, remove gesture, etc.. it didn't recognize gestures, not even the default ones.

I unistalled, downloaded and installed once again, and the same, I checked the main program's window and it was like normal, same info, for example, I disabled it in Opera.exe since Opera has its own mouse gestures by default, and it had the same info, nothing changed, and yet, strokeit doesn't work for me, I didn't change any feature or something else, it simply stopped working suddenly, I don't know what's happening, some help will be welcome [Windows XP - Service Pack 3 - 32 bits..] Thanks in advance.
Re: StrokeIt won't work for me? It stopped working suddenly!
February 12, 2011 06:30PM
I had a somewhat similar problem some time ago. This is probably not at all the same problem, but hey you are probably desperate enough to try anything, even though it probably won't help. A few thinsg you could try:

- There may be errors in the configuration files that contain your gestures/actions. You could try to export your gestures, delete the entire SI folder, reinstall, and try gestures with only a few default/new actions. You'd probably also need to delete the C:\Documents and Settings\User\Configuración local\Datos de programa\TCB Networks folder. Be sure that you back everything up so that you can restore it later: this is just to test where the problem lies.

- If the problem lies somewhere in the configuration files, notably in ...\TCB Networks\StrokeIt\Actions , you could repair your files manually, by opeing the .cfg files in a text editor like Notepad++. First you delete the folder as above and reinstall. Then you make a new action and see whether it works without problems. If so, compare this action to one of your old actions from your old .cfg files, like Default.cfg (this contains the global actions).
I once had different numbers of quotation marks in my corrupt old file; I auto-replaced them all in NotePad++, and after several tries I was able to repair my actions, stopping the error messages I got.

- I also got weird characters and squares in the menus of my actions and commands in StrokeIt, and some things like empty boxes where hotkeys or OSD center/left/right should have been. Whenever I re-imported my actions/gestures exported file, it seemed to work again for a short while, until the same errors reappeared. Eventually this was fixed when I repaired my .cfg files as above. To this day I still have no idea what caused the corruption of my files.

- I had a program installed that changed fonts in a way like Cleartype: it was called GDI++. If you changed anything about your fonts, maybe that could be the problem, though I think it is something different.

- It could also be related to OSD and the font it uses. Are all the fonts actually installed on your computer that are used by OSD commands? I don't remember how my fonts got so weirdly changed. This in combination with GDI++ gave me error messages. You could try disabling OSD commands, though this is probably not related to your problem.

- You could try to run StrokeIt in some compatibility mode, if possible: you make a shortcut to the strokeit.exe file, right click on the shortcut's properties, and see whether there is such an option. I am on my parents' PC now, which has Win7, so that I cannot test it.

I think someone else reported a problem with this language file error too on this forum, but I don't remember where it was. I wish you good luck!! I know how excruciatingly maddening it can be when StrokeIT doesn't work.
February 12, 2011 06:41PM
http://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/forum/read.php?2,55566,55566#msg-55566
I think this bug is similar. I don't think the guy that reported it solved it. No need to read my (too long) post in that thread, as I have written basically the same tips above. Do keep us posted on your progress! I really hope you solve this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2011 06:41PM by Cerberus.
February 13, 2011 01:13PM
Hey Cerberus, thanks for answering, my problem is solved now! :), what I did basically is to delete this folder: "TCB Networks" and installed once again, it's working now finally! how bad it feels when strokeIt isnot working, I really get used to this so much, thanks for your help ;) and, by the way, while not using strokeIt I realized something, I don't know if it's related to the strokeIt, well, when I clicked the 'back' button in explorer it didn't take me to the previous page, but the main! for example, if I was in this path: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data, when I clicked the back button it didnt take me to the folder 'All Users', it took me directly to the C:\ showing me the hard disks etc. then to go to the 'previous' page I had to click the button 'Up' but when I do back gesture with strokeIt, it works [<---], if you know anything about this, please reply, it's clear I don't need that button anymore since I use strokeIt, but it's something makes me think too, if someone else would use my pc and doesn't know about strokeIt, such situation would be really awful, like it passed to me, once more, thanks ;)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 3 plus 21?