Donate

Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Keystroke issue

Posted by SWarnock 
Keystroke issue
December 08, 2010 10:03AM
Having a fairly annoying issue with sending keystrokes...I haven't seen any topics about it so I thought I'd start one up.

I use stroke-it for auto-cad drafting, which I love. However, at random times and fairly often, when sending a command the keystrokes are sent in completely the wrong order...for example:

One such command is "send keystrokes" "_copy[RETURN]" with a gesture "up"

However, on the autocad side I will have to do the gesture sometimes 4-5 times before it comes in correct, it sends commands like...
_cpyo[RETURN]
_ocpy[RETURN]
_coyp[RETURN]
or any variation of these. It does it with any command and eventually it will get it right.
It makes it almost unusable sometimes. Any ideas?

Im using a multiple monitor XP Pro setup and have no conflicting global actions. In that case that is the only thing in stroke-it with the gesture "up" and Auto-cad is the only program running...
Re: Keystroke issue
December 08, 2010 12:24PM
Which version of StrokeIt is affected?
December 08, 2010 01:52PM
Sorry I meant to include that, it is version 9.7 Home
December 08, 2010 01:57PM
I am unsure about the board rules on linking to external sites, but here is a screen-shot i just captured illustrating what I am addressing. Thanks!

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz351/remote7777/12-8-20101-53-05PM.jpg
December 08, 2010 03:48PM
What you could try is setting several commands for one action, separated by Delays:

Keystroke _
Delay 50 ms
Keystroke c
Delay 50 ms
Keystroke o
... etc.

It will slow the action down, but it should make it more reliable. You could experiment with delay times.

As an alternative, you could use an Autohotkey script, which is in my experience much more reliable than StrokeIt commands. You'd need no more than this code:
!#F1:: SendInput _copy{Enter}
(Note that upper/lower case does not matter.)
Then assign alt-win-F1 as a hotkey to your StrokeIt action (delete the other commands), and voila. Post here if you need more information on AHK.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2010 03:53PM by Cerberus.
December 08, 2010 05:01PM
Weird. Never experienced such behavior. You should try the solution Cerberus suggested. Post the updated result here, please.
December 08, 2010 05:28PM
Yes I have never seen this particular error either. But I have seen other commands that didn't work as well as I expected. AHK usually works very well. I wish Jeff would integrate AHK into SI, that would be cool! But using them together is fine too. By the way, gemi, perhaps I have asked this before, but do you use AHK? Or AutoIt? Something else? I think AutoIt must be the more robust one, but I go for ease of programming.
December 08, 2010 10:48PM
Cerberus that is genius about the Autohotkey script...I never knew it would work/thought about integrating the two. I already use it and have several scripts and hotstrings I use daily. They are my two favorite programs! That would be amazing if you could implement AHK scripts directly into SI through the same interface...even though that would be a pretty large project for the coders, Ill still keep my fingers crossed!

I will write a few up tomorrow and post the results. I'm not done troubleshooting though, because I can't create an AHK for every SI command I use, there would be way too many. I have over 50,000 strokes on my install and it did not do this at the beginning, so it must be something on my computer--but it seems to have gotten worse over time. If I manage to find it I will definitely post the reason.

Oh and the first suggestion would work also, I am just not a fan of slowing things down :-D Thanks for the help!
December 09, 2010 02:20AM
I recall someone asking this, it might have been you, Cerberus. I peeked at AHK then and came to conclusion that it looked small, it looked easy, it looked versatile, but I had no need for it at the time being. I'm not using it extensively but I do have hotstrings running continuously and created a few key-combinations for different purposes. Those were mostly games so they are occasionally. I use Lua features of StrokeIt more frequently. But since they cannot do things the other one can do (or the other one does it more efficiently) those three (StrokeIt, Lua, AHK) are my primary tools when I want to accomplish/fix something.
I created a Lua script that "converts" a page into SQL DML, for example. And for one very specific purpose (export settings from an app) I've created an AHK GUI app that served me very well in the past so I can say that yes, I use AHK :)
December 16, 2010 06:23PM
Gemi, yes, that sounds the way I expected it to be. You have used AHK, you are even well versed in it (making a GUI is not easy imo); and yet you do not seem to be using it a lot. Perhaps that is because you also know other scripting languages, so that you do not need AHK so much. For me, only AHK is simple enough, so I use it for a lot of things.
For example, I made a script yesterday to use the middle mouse button for scrolling around both axes in Photoshop. I also have a script to increase and decrease the brush size by scrolling the mouse wheel as long as Win is pressed down, and of course I let StrokeIt keep Win pressed down upon down-up. Because Photoshop is made for strong portability to Mac, the Windows key is never used, so it does not interfere with other hotkeys. I also made a script to automatically release the Win key when Photoshop exists but is not active. I'm only having trouble with releasing the Win key without activating the Start Menu, which I then need to escape again at the moment. Well that was a bit off topic.
December 16, 2010 06:30PM
Warnock, I am glad that you discovered the synergy between SI and AHK, which is the best ever! They are two of my favourite programs too. I have created about 20 AHK supplements to SI actions, whenever SI's results were too unreliable. It often is in Firefox for me, when Firefox is bogged down and consuming 1.5 GB of memory.
Incidentally, you can use AHK in such a way as to make a SI gesture do two different things, depending on where on the screen the gesture is made. "Left" is Previous Page in Firefox normally, except when I do it over the tabs area: then it goes one tab to the right. Should you be interested in some code, let me know.
August 31, 2011 10:14AM
I hate to open an old topic again, but I wanted to let you guys know that it is iTunes that is causing the issue. I'm sure there is no easy way to solve this, but I wanted to let you know the culprit. I'm not sure how, but whenever I have it open it interferes with my SI signals going to other programs. I have no third-party iTunes plugins or anything installed...simply opening to program causes the jumbled signals to happen. I have worked around it using the AHK method mentioned above, but maybe this will help with future releases. Thanks again!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 12 plus 25?