Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Cannot teach a grafitti V

Posted by Dale Hohm 
Dale Hohm
Cannot teach a grafitti V
February 19, 2003 12:08AM
I am unable to get StrokeIt to learn a gesture for the letter 'V'. I am using a stroke pattern from graffiti that that looks like a normal V with a tail off to the right on the top right -- very roughly like this:

\ +----
\ /
\/

Version .9.1

I go into learning mode and stroke the symbol... it is typically recognized a a U. I change the Save As to be V and then press Learn. I have done this 30 to 40 times and it is always recognized as a U and never as a V.

Is there something problematic about this stroke pattern or am I just really bad at this?

Thanks,

Dale
Dennis
Re: Cannot teach a grafitti V
February 19, 2003 07:57AM
I betcha the V is too close to the U. And normally there is no V in StrokeIT so I guess you would have to delete the U gesture to get the new "similar" U gesture (which is you special v) to work.
This is just what I guess. let's wait what Jeff says.

Dennis
Jeff
February 19, 2003 08:53AM
Dale,

Since "U" and "V" are so similarly shaped, strokeit is configured to treat them as the same symbol. V is an alias of U, just like L is an alias of down-right - it's the same symbol, but with a different name. As such, when you teach it new ways of drawing V, it's learning them, but it's saving them under the parent gesture U.

To have an independant and unique V, just delete the existing V gesture and then recreate it.

Dennis: Gesture aliasing is a relatively new feature (.9, I think), all of you old time users haven't seen it because you probably don't want to overwrite you existing gestures :)

-- Jeff

Dale Hohm
February 19, 2003 03:19PM
This worked (although I had to remove V twice - once in the letters and once in the reversed letters).

Thanks,

Dale
Dennis
February 20, 2003 09:49AM
Jeff: Bah old time :) using .9b9 and waiting for the new final :)
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.