Wiki
Plugins
Translations
Developers
Donate

Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Internet Explorer in Strokeit (Vista 32)

Posted by trafanad 
Internet Explorer in Strokeit (Vista 32)
April 24, 2009 12:12PM
Howdy: (edited dgt)

I have used Strokeit for a long time, and also on Vista 32 for the last 2 years. Strokeit has worked well for me, but on Vista I have to disable UAC (User Account Control) to be able to use Strokeit with Internet Explorer 7/8.

Modifying the (parameters - compatability - privilege level) of the strokeit.exe file to "Run as Administrator" has no effect. Also running strokeit.exe in compatability mode for another version windows has no effect.

I am successfully using the new test version of Strokeit, with Aero, mouse gesture line drawing on, but with the UAC off. Strokeit works well on a mid range Intel Core 2 Duo system with mid level Nvidia graphic card.

Please fix the compatability bug with Strokeit and UAC (User Account Control). I was searching "UAC" in Microsoft's Technet, where a detailed article suggested, that an application that was written as a service would bypass these UAC problems. Perhaps, a solution to this problem.

Thanks Dennis Trafananko

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2009 06:12PM by trafanad.
Re: Internet Explorer in Strokeit (Vista 32)
April 27, 2009 10:25AM
I believe you will find that if you turn off IE Protected mode that StrokeIt will then work with it. This is of course not recommended and is not intended as a solution, but rather to point out that UAC may not be the culprit here.
April 27, 2009 12:15PM
In a previous, way too long version of my post above, I had a paragraph that stated by turning off IE Protected mode, and leaving UAC on, IE worked in the exact same manner. I said then (and agree with you), that my preference was to turn off UAC and keep IE Protected mode on, because the malware danger was from the Internet and not on my computer, as I have an antivirus, Windows Defender, Postini email filtering, hardware firewall etc., and have yet to be infected by malware.

But, since both the above methods produce the exact same result, this conclusively points out how both solutions are somehow interrelated. On a Microsoft Blog, http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2007/04/04/protected-mode-for-ie7-in-windows-vista-is-it-on-or-off.aspx
there was a flowchart that showed when IE Protected mode may be influenced by other situations, including
-logging in to the system Administrator account
-viewing a local html page (on your hard disk)
-was the local page saved from Protected Mode
-is UAC disabled
-is Protected Mode enabled for the particular zone

I browsed a long Microsoft TechNet article (search for "UAC"), that suggested how an application written to run as a service would not be influenced by UAC considerations. This information is related to the problem, and could be part of a solution to the Vista only, IE problem on Strokeit. If Strokeit can run, not influenced by UAC, then possibly Protected Mode can be left on when the IE browser is operating. This is an important problem, since IE is integral to the operating system, and necessary for Windows Updates.

I don't want to start a flame war, just looking at the situation from a different perspective.

Thanks
Dennis Trafananko
April 27, 2009 03:07PM
trafanad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In a previous, way too long version of my post
> above, I had a paragraph that stated by turning
> off IE Protected mode, and leaving UAC on, IE
> worked in the exact same manner. I said then (and
> agree with you), that my preference was to turn
> off UAC and keep IE Protected mode on

Eh? If UAC is disabled Protected Mode is turned off.
April 27, 2009 05:58PM
MKairys Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but rather to point out
> that UAC may not be the culprit here.

and again after reading the Blog
>Eh? If UAC is disabled Protected Mode is turned off.

Thus the Strokeit / IE problem is related to finding the incompatibility with UAC, and coding Strokeit to run as a service in Vista may be the solution.

Thanks
Dennis Trafananko
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 2 plus 6?