Wiki
Plugins
Translations
Developers
Donate

Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

How do I know what gesture was registerd?

Posted by Henry Padilla 
Henry Padilla
How do I know what gesture was registerd?
October 24, 2008 09:18AM
I have a couple of gestures that are not firing... I think. I can't tell what StrokeIt is seeing so I don't know if there is a bug or I'm just doing the wrong gesture. I don't get the "Unrecognized Gesture" dialog very many times, but the command doesn't fire either. Is there a way (other than defining commands for every gesture) to have StrokeIt pop-up a messageBox telling me what gesture it thought I did? This would help in teaching me what constitutes a "/Down" versus a sloppy "Left".

Also, is there a way to set they threshold for deviation? If I'm doing a "Left" how far up or down do I get to travel before the gesture changes to "/Down" or "\Up"? I'm pretty good but I can't tell what constitutes which gesture and why the motion I made was not recognized as the gesture I thought I was making.

Tom P.
Leo
Re: How do I know what gesture was registerd?
October 24, 2008 09:52AM
Hello Tom,

You can go to Edit - Learn Gestures and train your little mouse :P.

The threshold is very very short.

What I sometimes do is to define a On Screen Display message or a wav sound to be sure I make the right command.

Regards

Leo
Henry Padilla
October 24, 2008 10:48AM
Then please consider those two official requests:
1) A "Debug Gesture" switch to notify the user what gesture was recognized. This will help with differentiating gestures from one another.

2) Make the Threshold configurable (to a greater or lesser degree). This would help people that have a tough time making certain gestures.

Tom P.
Leo
October 24, 2008 04:20PM
Hello Tom,

Thank you for your improvement requests.

1) What do you mean with debug gesture switch. For what do you need this when you have OSD and wav what else do you need ?

2) You can define a Gesture timeout in Preferences - General

To say that clear I am of course not the developer. Jeff is the genius.

Regards

Leo
Henry Padilla
October 27, 2008 06:57AM
What I'd like is the same thing as the "Learn Gesture" but for gestures that are known. For example: I have a gesture and I have a command connected to it. I am trying to get that gesture to register but it's not being recognized as the gesture I created. But, it's not an "Unrecognized Gesture" either - Maybe I configure "Right-Left-Right" but StrokeIt might see "Z" or "Right-/Down-Right" or some other recognized gesture that's just not MY gesture. I'd like a switch that pops up a message even if the gesture is recognised so that I can tell what gesture it is I AM doing.

As for the Gesture Timeout, that's not quite what I mean. I'm talking about how much do I get to wander and still have the stroke be recognized as the one I'm trying for? How far up can I go before a "Right" stroke turns into a "/Up" stroke? In screen pixels, if I go from 10,10 to 50, 10 that's a "Right" stroke. If I go from 10,10 to 60, 10 is that still a "Right" stroke? What about 10,10 - 75,10? What is the threshold and can I set it?

Tom P.
Stuart
November 29, 2008 06:00AM
"Learn Gesture" can still be used for already existing gestures. Fine tunes recognition very subtly and nicely - with a very sensitive little algorithm.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 19 plus 10?