Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Higher priority gesture strokes...

Posted by Allen 
Allen
Higher priority gesture strokes...
March 28, 2006 09:16PM
Any chance StrokeIt can have higher CPU priority gesture strokes? Sometimes when multitasking and the CPU is busy and you try to draw a gesture, StrokeIt doesn't keep up and the gesture messes up and you have to redraw it--which gets annoying. I already have a fast CPU [Athlon 64 4000+]. Thanks.
Dom
Re: Higher priority gesture strokes...
March 30, 2006 10:42AM
I agree. I have tried to overcome this myself by setting a higher CPU priority in task manager, however after each stroke is drawn it just returns to "normal" priority.
Robin
April 06, 2006 01:09PM
I like to see this too.
Allen
August 11, 2006 01:09AM
any progress on this yet?
Allen
August 11, 2006 01:12AM
BTW: does running dual core CPU avoid this problem?
Azreal
October 27, 2006 04:50AM
You can run strokeIt with higher priority.

Here is a program that allow to launch application with user-defined priority:
http://www.bellamyjc.org/download/xrun.zip
trouvé sur:
http://www.bellamyjc.org/fr/divers.html

Then we just need create batch file and replace HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/CurrentVersion/Run/StrokeIt register key
X
November 21, 2006 11:19PM
That would have the same effect as far as i know, the priority is being *reset* as a part of a fix for 9.4

see..

"- Fixed: Fixed "StrokeIt sometimes stays at High Priority" bug"

http://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/docs/versions.txt

So even though you run whatever program to set the priority, strokeit will set it back again to normal.

I'd really would like to see that to be customizable :(
Allen
December 29, 2006 05:59AM
does running dual core CPU avoid this problem?
mike
January 13, 2007 03:28PM
this bug is totally ridiculous. strokeit should be realtime (like my docklets, virtual screen manager, etc), and it's retardedly not.
B. Viktor
January 29, 2007 12:46PM
As far as I understood while looking at the binary, StrokeIT sets its own priority adaptively, when the user starts the gesture. For me, this feature does not work well: when the CPU is working, StrokeIT tends to "lose" gesture segments.

I've created an experimental patched version (v9.5), which always sets itself to HIGH priority, but I think it would not be OK license-wise to publish it here. If you want to discuss it, or experiment with it, drop me an email at bviktor _here_comes_the_at_sign_ freemail.hu
Nick
January 31, 2007 06:28PM
Much as I agree with the concern here, sometimes the best solution is to look a layer deeper, and stop processes taking over your CPU in the first place.

Process Tamer is a neat program that reduces the priority of an app that claims 100% of your CPU, maybe that would help??
http://www.lifehacker.com/software/cpu/download-of-the-day-processtamer-windows-221204.php
Jo jo
August 29, 2007 03:44AM
Processtamer is a real problem with some apps like Miscrosoft Desktop Search.
DComedian
March 13, 2008 11:34AM
I would also like to run StrokeIt at high priority at all times, and find it very frustrating that it always resets its priority to normal, despite all my efforts to keep it at high. It even overrides Prio (http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html), and is the first program I've come across that does this.
DComedian
April 06, 2008 07:56PM
I think I've found a temporary solution to this problem.

I downloaded a program called SetPriority from Download.com. This allows me to preset priorities for certain programs, and then sits in my system tray monitoring those programs so that the priority doesn't get changed. I've been using it to run StrokeIt with Realtime priority, which has significantly improved the mouse gesture responsiveness.

http://www.download.com/SetPriority/3000-2094_4-10473386.html?tag=pdp_prod

(I already run Process Tamer which has been recommended above, and one use for that program is to boost the foreground process to high priority, which is a simple way to improve computer performance - Actual Booster is another program which does this very simply).

Of course I'd still like it to be possible to run StrokeIt at High or Realtime priority without having to run a separate program to manage this, but SetPriority certainly seems to have given me a solution for the time being.
DComedian
June 11, 2009 06:23PM
I've just found an even better way of maintaining StrokeIt at your desired priority level using Process Lasso...

http://www.bitsum.com/prolasso.php

This combines features of SetPriority and Process Tamer, and is much less heavy in terms of system resources than SetPriority. It enables all sorts of additional tweaks to improve system performance.

After launching it go to the Options and "Configure default priorities", set up StrokeIt with your desired priority level, and (importantly) tick the box that says "More strictly enforce default priorities".
October 25, 2009 09:43PM
Thanks man, Process Lasso is great. With Process Tamer, StrokeIt kept switching to Above Normal on my PC; but the Lasso makes it stick at Realtime.
October 31, 2009 03:48PM
Although Process Lasso manages to keep StrokeIt at Realtime priority it's a mending only. StrokeIt is already altering its own priority dinamically so I fully support the idea to make it configurable.
November 01, 2009 06:13PM
Incidentally, even though PL keeps SI at Real Time, gestures are still not always drawn correctly when my PC is really busy (@ 2x 3 GHz), so I am not sure it matters that much.
November 02, 2009 02:47AM
It still might. StrokeIt by default sets its priority to "Above normal" when monitoring and to "High" when the stroke begins. As I observed, StrokeIt still does that when controlled by PL so it shifts down its priority to "High" before PL restores it to "Realtime" and back to "Above normal" when finished prior to PL intervention. Perhaps that is the cause of incorrect drawing.

Anyway, I would like to controll its behavior even if it does not matter that much. I could be sure then that I've done my best.
November 03, 2009 09:25PM
Ah interesting! Good to know.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 18 plus 20?