Forums/Help
Contact Us

StrokeIt

Different Draw Buttons for each Application

Posted by Flame 
Flame
Different Draw Buttons for each Application
January 30, 2006 10:12AM
It would be great, if there was support for more draw buttons.

If this feature was implemented in the Application menu, instead of in the Preferences menu, the program would be terrific, as far as flexibility is concerned.

The drawbuttons to be used in an app should be checked in the appmenu, in order to use them cumulatively or not.

This way, by holding the right mouse button and turning the mousewheel, the volume in videoapps could be controled, while the middle button could be assigned to different tasks.

This feature should not be too difficult to implement, but would be a huge enhancement.

Well, how feasible this is depends on how the app currently works... Asking for different buttons in each app would mean that StrokeIt would have to monitor mouse buttondown events for all buttons, which has already been knocked back by the developer. Of course, a single button could be monitored and dynamically switched, but whether strokeit could dynamically switch fast enough is another question... I suspect that it would slow down alt-tab switching, or not work for a short while after switching apps, as the monitoring is switched to a different button...

I don't think this is a good idea from a performance point of view

Of course key combos or mousebutton combos would effectively give the same functionality, although of course you'd have to either hold a key in or click two buttons.

But then again, shouldn't the decision as to whether strokeit is performing well enough be up to each individual (or the performance of their PC)? Why not implement the feature anyway, and those who find it too slow, don't have to use it! I'm sure those of us on extremely fast PC's might like it, and as PC's increase in speed over time, the function would become more viable....
It would help if we had more info about how the app works :)
Flame
Re: Different Draw Buttons for each Application
February 01, 2006 02:47AM
Hello STR,

thanks for your opinion. Your concerns about performance seem to make sense. But I still am not too sure whether implementing this feature would really affect performance that gravely.

If you can define for each application, which mousebuttons are to be monitored (as I suggested with checkboxes in the Application menu) there should be no performance loss within the app.

Of course there still might be problems when switching applications as you pointed out, but this too should be easily handled by modern PC´s.

Apart from that, I am utilizing Strokeit together with another mouse enhancing application called MouseImp for years. Two seperate applications are monitoring different mousebuttons on my PC what works great. I´ve been using this setup even with lower spec PC´s without any noticeable loss in performance. I believe that this task therefore should be even more easily performed by one single app.

I absolutely agree with you that this can only be told by the developer himself conclusively, as only he knows, how the application really works.

regards

STR
February 02, 2006 11:21PM
Sir Jeff? Are we being deliberately ignored? ;)
Flame
February 03, 2006 03:08PM
Hello STR,

I am replying to your last post in "General:Re: We want new options!!!!!(Date: 02-03-06 00:22) " within this thread in order to stick together the subject that was split up unnecessarily (mea culpa), as I believe that this subject belongs here.

There you wrote that implementing the multiple button functionality in the Application menu is far too complex, as "you could get the same functionality by creating exceptions".

The main reason why I was asking the developer for implementing the multiple button functionality is, because I do not want to do without StrokeIt in applications, that already employ the button I had predefined for StrokeIt.

Of course it is possible to restore StrokeIt from the taskbar, open up the Preferences and change the predefined drawbutton before using that application.(by the way, you could as well define a gesture within StrokeIt to perform this task)

But having the option to determine in the Application Menu, which drawbutton to be used within each application would make live easier.

Would you please explain where and how to define exceptions for each application better than in the Application Menu. I do not see a better way than that at the moment but I would be grateful if you clarified this.

To make my point clear, my goal is not having the choice whether to use StrokeIt with an app or do without it at all, what is already feasible, but to use a different drawbutton within an app for not having to do without StrokeIt when a conflict occurs.

As far as making use of further mouse buttons is concerned I consent with you, that this might be useful.

regards
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 9 plus 25?